Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Storage unit for firearms near East Stroudsburg.

I cant move to PA since the NYPD requires I live in NYC or a surrounding county in NY as my primary residence, and I am unwilling to buy or rent a place in PA just to own a gun there.

I am a former Marine and considered having one of my Marine friends in another state buy a rifle for me and hold onto it until I am in a state where I can legally possess it (when I retire) and then I would reimburse him the cost and have him sell it to me. But my concern there is that any new assault weapons ban might have the sale or transferring of such rifles be illegal by then too.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1775 View Post
    I cant move to PA since the NYPD requires I live in NYC or a surrounding county in NY as my primary residence, and I am unwilling to buy or rent a place in PA just to own a gun there.

I am a former Marine and considered having one of my Marine friends in another state buy a rifle for me and hold onto it until I am in a state where I can legally possess it (when I retire) and then I would reimburse him the cost and have him sell it to me. But my concern there is that any new assault weapons ban might have the sale or transferring of such rifles be illegal by then too.
    If the gun was bough "preban" the transfer after the ban as was in the 94 ban perfectly legal..

However for some states like CA and NY they had their own bans of their own and still may?

(Lehigh County)

Your hitting us with some interesting scenarios.... About the only constructive comment I can make any further is move!

Until you do your a subject of Blomberg and we are unable to offer assistance.

Until then, Merry Christmas - stick around the board though, Im sure that you'll see many reasons to consider a career as a LEO in PA. In fact Philly always seems to be looking for good cops (at least WE the people are always looking for a GOOD cop in Philly )

At least that way your still employed, AND get to enjoy the benefits of much greater firearms freedoms that we PA residents enjoy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Idk if im reading this wrong BUT PA residents FTF transfer of long guns is legal without FFL tranfer
    Correct, but that would be an INTRAstate transfer. OP is not a PA resident hence an INTERstate situation
    Thanks for the quick replies.. I guess a sticking point is that I am not looking to take the rifle out of pennsylvania, so even though I am a new york resident It would be bought in pennsylvania, and stored there. Not entering NY with it. But seemingly you guys are saying that since I am only a resident of NYS that it would need to conform with NYS laws even if it never enters NYS. In which case the only way around this would be to have a dual residency (NYS and PA)?
    You can purchase a long gun in PA through a PA FFL. The sticky part is transporting after the purchase (driving directly to a place of storage might be ok)... The other sticky part is you're not allowed to give, loan or sell that gun without using an FFL since you're not a PA resident (illegal transfer). If you put the gun in a safe and place the safe somewhere in your buddies house where he will never touch or unlock it... That's the only way I see it working. He can't take possession of it and if its locked in a safe he has no key to and it's never moved... That's a pretty good argument

IANAL
    Last edited by BimmerJon; December 24th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

(Bucks County)

BimmerJon

ya i didnt think that through my frist post and then read your post and was like hmm am i reading this wrong now...

This is odd because under state law I am exempt from the states assault rifle statute, but under my city residency law I cannot own one. So would Pennsylvania determine whether I can own one is Pennsylvania be based on the laws of the state or the laws of my city?

(Chester County)

This is odd because under state law I am exempt from the states assault rifle statute, but under my city residency law I cannot own one. So would Pennsylvania determine whether I can own one is Pennsylvania be based on the laws of the state or the laws of my city?
    If you are referring to purchase from a Pa FFL then your local (city) laws are given effect under the Federal statute requiring that FFL to assure compliance not only with Pa laws but also the laws of the jurisdiction of your residence.

If you are referring to a FTF sale without an FFL, the seller would be in violation of Federal law for selling the firearm to a non-Pa resident.

If you are referring to laws in general, unless extended through a Federal umbrella like above, the only applicable laws are those of the jurisdiction you are in during the event in question.
    IANAL

Okay, thanks for all the info, the Pennsylvania state police suggested I get in touch with the ATF to iron out the legalities which I have already done so.

Now on to the next question, does anyone suggest any storage unit in the East Stroudsburg area? One that allows firearms to be stored, has units small enough (i dont need a ten foot by ten foot locker to store a rifle and ammo) and doesnt charge insane prices?

(Susquehanna County)

How long has this FFL dealer transfer for long guns been in effect. I have sold many guns and bought many guns and never had an FFL dealer do anything for me. Cash in hand buy like I would a lawn mower. I know I need an FFL dealer for a pistol or other such gun but. Never had to for a rifle. But then again havn't purchased a longgun in a while. This something fairly new?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ammastor View Post
    How long has this FFL dealer transfer for long guns been in effect. I have sold many guns and bought many guns and never had an FFL dealer do anything for me. Cash in hand buy like I would a lawn mower. I know I need an FFL dealer for a pistol or other such gun but. Never had to for a rifle. But then again havn't purchased a longgun in a while. This something fairly new?
    Decades. INTERstate (federal law) requires an FFL for Long guns and Handguns.
    Long gun transfers can happen in any state
    Firearms (handguns) need to happen in buyers home state

If you sold your rifles to a PA resident (INTRAstate), you are fine. If you sold to non-PA residents you've committed felonies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast