Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taurus 1911?

(Berks County)

Default taurus 1911?

anyone shoot the taurus 1911 .45? wondering how it is and if its worth the money?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: taurus 1911?

After shooting my friends I liked it so much I bought one 2 weeks ago. Gun mags seem to like it too but the 1911 purest will (do) hate them.

I'm not a "Purist", I like almost all 1911's (Llamas and Polymer Framed Models are what I don't like) I've heard nothing but good things about them from everyone who has shot them. As far as lower priced 1911s go they seem to be the most loaded with options. I'd give it a try, if you don't like it you can always sell it to me . I'm down a Kimber and the rest of my '11s are getting lonely again.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Berks County)

phillyd what price can i expect ??? and did u get it for a good price....cuz the local gun shop is always like 100 over what it should be.....

(Allegheny County)

Although a 1911 was my next gun purchase... two guns ago, it really is this time. I've been looking at the Tauras and its price range for a 1911. I own a couple Tauras' and aside from a sight adjustmen on a 24/7, I haven't had an issue with them. My question is if buying within that price range, should I go with the Taurus or look at other brands in that range? Or, go the used gun route and look for a better known 1911 brand "within" that same price range? And what could I expect to get within that? The price range is where I'd want to stay.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billy870m9 View Post
    phillyd what price can i expect ??? and did u get it for a good price....cuz the local gun shop is always like 100 over what it should be.....
    I've seen prices as high as $ 599 + tax + PIC. I purchased mine from Surplus City for $ 500 out the door (the last one), part of a few other purchases. Most that have them will not move on price since they are still hard to find. Even Surplus City refused to budge off $ 525++ until we were finishing up my other purchases. I figured $500 out the door was about equal to $ 450 (gun) + 6% (Tax) + $ 25 (PIC) so I was pretty happy.

Maybe next year inventories will be higher but for now most gun shops I have visited only had one or two. Hell, Tanners had one with a nice scratch on it and they still would not move on price.

(Northumberland County)

A local shop has one for $469 The look pretty nice, but those god awful taurus roll marks are hard to overlook...

Other than that it seemed nice.

(Westmoreland County)

Taurus sent one to an instructor we know at gunsite for eval. He let another acquaintance use it for several days. This shooter also ran a 1911 so it worked out rather well and they were able to shoot it quite a bit during the week long course.

It apparently held up well with no serious problems developing. OTOH, the fact that it was purposefully sent for field testing and wasn't an *off the rack* purchase, Taurus may have assembled this particular specimen with utmost care knowing where and to whom it was being sent.

His review:

When I was at my gunsite class, two weeks ago, Ed Stock had a Taurus PT1911B, which had been sent to him from the factory, to test. He had it only the first day; towards the end of Monday, for reasons that now escape me, he gave it to me to shoot for the rest of the week. I agree with the above comments. What follows is the write-up for which Ed asked me, which seemed to be my payment for shooting it.

"I am an average shooter who carries an enhanced Colt Government Model M1911A1; the only work that I have had done to my Colt is to add Novak night sights, a beavertail grip safety, and to replace the MIM parts. This Colt is the basis of my comparison to the Taurus PT 1911B.

"I fired the PT 1911 during 03-07 Oct 06 in a Gunsight 250 class, put about 800 rounds through it, and, though I was told that I did not have to do so, cleaned it twice. I liked the looks of the PT 1911. I liked the rounded frame top. I did not mind the fore and aft cocking grooves on the slide (I do not use the front grooves, but recognize that others may): they were not too sharp, as are the grooves on some other guns (Kimber?), thus allowing a good grip, which was aided by the grooves being more widely spaced than on some other guns. I heard disparaging comments about the hammer, but I do not know enough about the different hammer types to know why that comment was made to have my own opinion (the PT 1911 hammer differs from my Colt hammer, which is a typical hollow spur-type). I liked the beavertail grip safety (I prefer it to the standard grip safety, as I found that I did not always make a grip on the standard grip safety that was firm enough, when making a presentation, to allow shooting). I loved the good grip afforded by the fine checkering on the mainspring housing and the front strap, and the matching surface on the grip panels. I did not mind the trigger, which was similar to that on my Colt, though a shade lighter (it seemed to be about four pounds, maybe a bit more): there was some slack, which I like, and there seemed to be a longer amount of creep, which was acceptable, but the trigger seemed to be consistent, albeit gritty. I did not have any problem with the magazine release.

"I did not care for the frame bottoms, at the rails, which were rather sharp. I did not prefer the dot on dot sights, as I am used to the front sight dot between the two rear sight dots, and would change the sights to get night sights, with two dots at the rear, if this were my own gun. I did not like the ambi thumb safety, and would take it off, were the gun my own. I did not like the barrel bushing, which would not come out, on my initial cleaning; it was supposed to come out when turned counter-clockwise, but I had to play with it for a while in order to remove it. Yes; I would get used to it and get quicker at removing it, over time, of course, but it was not user-friendly for me, during the short time that I had the gun. The PT 1911 had a full length guide rod: granted that this is popular, now, but I have never figured out why; at least the PT 1911 did not have any over-complicated disassembly manipulations, requiring associated weird and easily lost tools. If it had, I would not have the gun. The finish looked good, initially, but I noticed rust traces on the slide at the end of the second day (I admit that I sweat a lot, but it was not that hot; besides, everyone kept saying that it was only a "dry" heat); by the end of the third day, and for the rest of the week, the rust was in full bloom (I am not quite sure how to remove the rust from my holster).

"The gun shot and handled well: everything seemed to work as it was supposed to work, smoothly and positively. I had no troubles with any gun manipulations. The gun seemed plenty accurate enough for combat shooting; in any event, the Gunsite instructors blamed all my bad shooting on me, not on the loaned PT 1911, dammit. Not all my magazines fell out of the well, when released, but that was the magazine, itself, not the gun (if it were my gun, I might have the well smoothed down, a bit, to help the magazine to fall).

"I was surprised and pleased to learn how affordable the PT 1911 was. This low list price makes many of my above concerns seem like carping. However, were I to buy this gun, I would definitely put a moly or other coat on it, and replace the sights, thumb safety, and the MIM parts, which I am sure are present. The FLGR is not a big problem, for the reason mentioned, nor is the hammer, to me (unless I learn otherwise or I become a better shooter); I may also want a trigger job, but the middle of any shooting course is not the time for detached consideration of every issue."

I do not plan to buy one, but I would consider doing so.

Question Re: taurus 1911?

i purchased the taurus pt1911 about 3 months ago. The gun would not eject shells at all when I first took it to the range. I called taurus and they sent me a new extractor within 4 days no questions asked.

After that the gun worked very well and I even used it to qualify for my NRA marksman and expert pistol badges. I now have a 1000 rounds through it and it seems to be breaking in nicely.

I am not sure if I would use it as a primary weapon.

(Erie County)

I have a Taurus 1911 in stainless and I'm just waiting for some more model options to come down the line like an Officer or Defender sized one and I'll buy another. It is my primary daily conceal carry piece now. I love it. I added Crimson Trace laser grips to mine. I've put close to 1000 rounds thru it with only one hiccup and that was the first day when it didn't stay open on one of the magazines supplied with it when empty. I use Wilson Combat mags though for daily carry as they are stainless as well and IMO one of the best mags available for any 1911.

Hmm just realized how only this thread is
    Last edited by CoyoteJack; September 28th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast