Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Is it possible to shoot a semi faster than it can cycle?

Just like the title says, I am wondering if it is possible to shoot a semi auto pistol faster than the gun can cycle resulting in FTE's? Has anyone done experimentation, research, or had experience with this?

Default Re: Is it possible to shoot a semi faster than it can cycle?

NO

Unless internals are worn or have been modified , everythings "SET"

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    NO

Unless internals are worn or have been modified , everythings "SET"
    Correct...

Most modern guns are engineered so they will not fire out of battery.

It is, however, possible to outrun a semi auto if you are fast on the trigger and the gun cycles slow. But....your second trigger pull results in nothing happening as you have pulled the trigger again before the slide has a chance to fully close. This is a very rare occurence since semi auto pistols cycle relatively fast. It's more common with gas operated shotguns.

FTE's during rapid double taps or contolled pairs are more likely due to poor recoil management and a resulting "limp wristing" of the gun (often made worse if you are using heavy recoil springs).

Lycanbumpfirewilloutrunariflebolttoothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Washington County)

Talking Re: Is it possible to shoot a semi faster than it can cycle?

I agree. Bumpfire bears the theory out.

(Philadelphia County)

I have shot semi-auto pistols where I can definitely press the trigger faster than the gun can cycle.

The result was failure to fire every time.

One recent example is the Walther P22. Very easy to outrun it (almost no recoil, just keep operating it as fast as you can, sooner or later you get a quick pair where you outrun it ).

(Fulton County)

i dont think so with modern firearms

(Chester County)

I know guys that can run semi's at near full auto speeds....I've yet to see someone "outrun" a pistol.
    Just look at some of the vids of the true grandmasters running Bill Drills. Those guys can friggin' shoot...and I've yet to see any of those guns outrunning their pistol.

A friend of mine runs a 11" AR 90-95% as fast as people can on 3rnd burst. Never mentioned having been able to outrun it.

Outrunning a p22...guess that's possible, just like to see it in person. I'll have to try it next time I get to shoot someone's.
    Last edited by synergy; March 20th, 2008 at 12:22 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Outrunning a p22...guess that's possible, just like to see it in person. I'll have to try it next time I get to shoot someone's.
    Give it a try. With that particular gun I can attest that not only can it be done, it's not that hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Just like the title says, I am wondering if it is possible to shoot a semi auto pistol faster than the gun can cycle resulting in FTE's? Has anyone done experimentation, research, or had experience with this?
    There are several considerations to this. First, is it possible? Absolutely. Is it likely? No. It would require manipulating the trigger faster than the action, which is beyond the response time of most shooters. As far as causing FTE's from a fast trigger finger, I'm nowhere fast enough to answer this question.

Mechanically, some pistols will ignore the trigger input (TT-33 is one, I think the M1911 is another, I haven't cataloged this information) because the trigger isn't connected to the tumbler until slide closure. In these cases, there isn't any benefit to overrunning the trigger. And when we synchronize the trigger action with the battery sensing linkage, we've just re-invented the machine gun, as that's what an auto sear does*.

As another poster pointed out, most firearm designs have some type of device or linkage that disconnects the trigger in the event the bolt isn't in full closure. While trigger overrun isn't a major concern, a bolt stuck out of battery is. This can happen for many reasons, including contamination or fragmentary remains of casings. It happened to me with an '82 Browning High Power...I had a pierced primer, and the remains of the primer got into the locking lugs, preventing slide closure. Had it fired in this state, it would have destroyed the gun.

* In most cases it trips the disconnecter, not the actual trigger. If it operated the trigger it would injure the shooter's finger as it forced the trigger forward. That's how the trigger stays depressed, yet the gun seems to fire smoothly until it runs out of ammunition.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Centre County)

The original question makes absolutely no sense. that's like asking if a chick can have babies faster than she can f*#k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast