Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default WHEN ARE WE GOING TO WAKE UP AS A NATION AND PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?

I am a retired N.J. Police Officer, NRA member and most importantly a Father. We all know what occurred and how it sickens us, as a father I can't begin to imagine what these parents are going through.

I also can't understand how our schools were allowed to become gun free zones, it's the same as placing a sign saying to all nut cases come in we can't protect ourselves.
    Some politicians are responsible for this law and I believe some of the gun hating public as well. As a Police officer I have seen my share of horrible acts that most civilians cannot comprehend, and know a scum bag will always take advantage of the weak.

Can we hold the media responsible to a degree for their part in reporting these acts in the manner that may produce copy cats ?.

We live in sad and sick times, we send our children to school to be taught not killed . Gun free zones are a bullet sponge, God help us . If I as a retired Police Officer can be of assistance to help protect our children it would be an honor to help. I can't speak for the other retirees but they can be asked to help.

I realize the men still on the job don't have the time, most are trying to make ends meet usually with a part time job.

We have an untapped resource with many retirees, why not use it or at least explore the possibilities.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: WHEN ARE WE GOING TO WAKE UP AS A NATION AND PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?

Also work on repairing our society. Increase enrollment in the Boy Scouts and get government out of the education business entirely, make it 100% private and church and give back all the taxes collected for public schools so people can pay them towards those schools instead.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I also thought about this. I bet there are a lot of retired officers that wouldn't mind volunteering to guard schools for 6 hours a day.

I am not quite sure how to take your comment.

However, until the wise men (right) come up with a iron clad remedy
    you can count me in for the duration.

As for the other retirees, I can't speak for them but I think it is everyone's
    duty to give some of themselves to protect these kids.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

What, you don't think "duck-and-cover" is an effective defense? It worked during the Cold War, didn't it?

I'd go beyond one armed guard. I think any teacher or administrator who has a LTCF and gets some training should be allowed to carry at school.

WTF is it with these libs who think that everyone is capable of snapping if they strap on a gun?

(Delaware County)

Possible a QRF made up,of a few teachers also double safety glass doors at all means of egress

(Armstrong County)

Lets take a look at gun free zones....

Airport - Gun Free and protected
    Federal buildings - Gun Free and protected
    County Courthouse - Gun Free and protected (in my county)

Public School - Gun Free and no protection
    Many Shopping Malls - Gun Free and no protection
    Movie Theaters as in Aurora CO - Gun Free and no protection.

There is no reason the first three should be protected and the last three not.

(Fulton County)

There is no reason the national school shield program shouldn't be implemented, the media is just mad because the NRA isn't offering a compromise on our rights.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    I also thought about this. I bet there are a lot of retired officers that wouldn't mind volunteering to guard schools for 6 hours a day.
    The thing about volunteers would be the naborhood watch image.Then how long till you would hear George Zimmerman's name thrown out.
    We hear the cost to put uniformed police in schools would be too much, one less cop on the streets at school hours, giving the kids and parants the feeling of a police state or locked in a prison.
    Well I think if some(not all) teachers were trained, I mean not just some token cert. real sercure and defencive training. The certified teacher would be payed an premime over there teacher's pay, so the cost would not be as high as an all new employee.
    The students and the most of the general public would never even know who or where these teachers are.

(Philadelphia County)

Get your words out there. People need to know that police officers do not support gun free zones.