Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default PICS denial question, maybe a litte venting too

I found this site a couple of weeks ago after getting denied a gun purchase. Very embarrassing and stressful to say the least and this site was the only place I could find any good info, I had to join and say Thanks for such a great site.

I have owned guns for many years and hunted since I was old enough to. All my guns were purchased before background checks so it was my first time going through the PICS system. I was flat out denied at small gun shop and the owner said so loud and clear for everyone to hear. He gave me the challenge form and I left dumbfounded. I sent it in, agonized for 11 days and read everything I could find on here. Got my letter in response yesterday and it's a mistaken identity case of someone with the same name with a PFA from another state that I've never even been too. I pretty much thought it would be something like that as I have passed the background checks to be a wrestling coach at our school. And I have never done any of the crimes that are prohibiting offenses. But still I worried and wondered what I may have done.

I'm not really pissed at the PICS people as they are doing there job and mistakes happen but I am really heartbroken because I was trying to buy a .22 for my 11 year old for Christmas who is really into hunting. I didn't get a reversal letter yet so I am still unable to buy it before Christmas. I tried calling the number on the letter because it say "if this info doesn't pertain to you than call this number" but I would guess they are so busy with the number of sales that they couldn't call me back. I know everyone loves their kids as much as I do, I have 7 of them and love them all equally. But he is just such a great kid. Money has been tight for us lately and I try not to let our kids know the stresses we go through trying to provide the things they need. We took a little trip recently to visit our new grand daughter, on the way home we stopped at Mcdonalds for a quick bite and he ordered off the dollar menu. He eats pretty fast and I ask them all if they had enough food, he only had a burger and a drink. Well he says he's fine but I know he usually eats more. So I say you look like you could eat more, want some fries, a pie, another burger or 2. He says well " how much are they?" I realized then he knows more about things than I thought and he cares about the family more than himself. I'm not bankrupt, I can afford a burger for them, just things are a little tighter than normal. For everyone I'm sure. Just one of the little things I'll always remember with him. So when we were hunting and bonding he said the only thing he wants for Christmas is his own .22. I have wanted to get him one for a while but have waited till I thought he was mature enough to shoot it and enjoy it. I thought about it a bit and decided I can make this happen and I know he would be very happy on Christmas day even if that was the only present under the tree for him, not that it was, but he wouldn't care. I know I didn't fail him but it doesn't make me feel any better about the situation.

Anyway, sorry to vent, my letter now says that I'm "undertermined" now. Knowing the reason for denial is not me, do I wait for them to call me back or keep on calling them. I'm not sure what I could send them as proof that I was never in Colorado, is the burden of proof on them or me? Is this a long process or an easy fix?
    I also didn't let my wife go and try to buy him a rifle because I was worried about "straw" purchase and complicating things more.
    Thanks for reading and for such a great site

Default Re: PICS denial question, maybe a litte venting too

your wife can buy it for your son just like you can so its not a straw purchase, now if the two of you go in there acting weird and the cleark notices He could think it was realy a straw purchace. My openion pull up a picture of what you want and give it to your wife and send her to get it. It sucks that the system isnt great and good people have to go thru this but its part of life. I hope things work out for you, and have a mery christmas.

(Lawrence County)

Send your wife to get it, that's not a straw purchase, it is a gift and you are breaking no laws. The only thing you would be breaking is your kids heart if you don't get it.

(Lycoming County)

Thank you for the reply. I asked the gun shop owner when I got denied and he said it would be considered a straw purchase and if she went somewhere else to buy it she would probably get denied also because of having a the same address. I read what I could about it but couldn't decide if I should try it. If I would have gotten my letter from the PSP quicker I would of had more time to decide if we should try it. The gun shop owner is a friend of mine so I think he told me all he could. Before I left the shop PICS called him again and he said hold on a minute, I thought they were calling to say they made a mistake. Well they told him to copy my application and fax it to them right away. I asked him why they would do that and he said I don't know they never ask me to do that.
    Then someone in the shop said they may be coming to arrest you. I have never been through this and none of my friends have been denied or told me anyway, so I didn't know what to expect or do.
    Merry Christmas to you too

(Lycoming County)

I got the letter yesterday in the mail so we dicussed it after work. We called all the gun shops around here and couldn't find the rifle I wanted or one similar. As everyone knows guns sales are through the roof right now. Just bad timing for everything. My adult kids and I are still calling around hoping to find one in time. We may have to take a little drive but I think we'll make it happen.
    Thanks

(Cumberland County)

pics needs to go.

Stjpa, check your PM's.

(Mercer County)

When I buy and fill out the form, I always put my last 4 SS numbers to avoid that. There is a man with the same name running around that must be a scumbag because it has saved my ass more than once. In fact, I know there is because I have gotten his mail and phone calls (all collection agencys). My pics checks usually take a while but I have never been denied.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Allegheny County)

Hi friend. Hope you get this before Christmas. Turn that negative into a positive: give that boy a hand made gift certificate, redeemable for one .22 rifle, that he chooses at the store with you. You'll win three times. He'll be just as happy with the promise as the real thing; he'll get to "pick out his own gun"; and you'll get a bonding trip to the gun shop that he won't forget.

Good luck! And Merry Christmas.

(Lycoming County)

Yeah, I gave them my SS#, that's what sucks. I have passed 4 background checks to be a coach. Even the FBI finger print screen. So either the operator just didn't like something or yhe nics has me transposed with someone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast