Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 1911 Finish

(Northampton County)

Default 1911 Finish

I always read the lower "entry level" 1911's finish isnt as good as the mid/higher level ones. What makes them so different? Parkerized is parkerized is it not? Or are they using a different finish all together?

Default Re: 1911 Finish

The parkerizing on some of the inexpensive 1911's is thin and wears to bare metal, quickly, unless you never carry it. Thin parkerizing also needs to be fed some oil, routinely, to keep rust from coming in underneath the parkerizing. HK's, Glocks, and some others have coatings that will take a lot of friction without going to bare metal, where the cheap 1911's will not. Coating guns so they hold up to wear is expensive which is why ATI, Taurus, RIA, American Classic, Regent, and a few others have prices lower than comparable pistols such as Sig, SA, etc. They are only parkerized, and IMO, not very well. If you keep them oiled, you won't have any issues with one unless, as said, you take it in and out of a holster, a lot.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    The parkerizing on some of the inexpensive 1911's is thin and wears to bare metal, quickly, unless you never carry it. Thin parkerizing also needs to be fed some oil, routinely, to keep rust from coming in underneath the parkerizing. HK's, Glocks, and some others have coatings that will take a lot of friction without going to bare metal, where the cheap 1911's will not. Coating guns so they hold up to wear is expensive which is why ATI, Taurus, RIA, American Classic, Regent, and a few others have prices lower than comparable pistols such as Sig, SA, etc. They are only parkerized, and IMO, not very well. If you keep them oiled, you won't have any issues with one unless, as said, you take it in and out of a holster, a lot.
    Agree 100% I love my STI Spartan but the park wore off in no time flat where it contacts the holster. Granted I'm using a Fobus but I bought the gun for IDPA matches and nothing else. I'm going to keep it from rusting but I've decided to never refinish it and let it wear it's marks proudly....
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    Agree 100% I love my STI Spartan but the park wore off in no time flat where it contacts the holster. Granted I'm using a Fobus but I bought the gun for IDPA matches and nothing else. I'm going to keep it from rusting but I've decided to never refinish it and let it wear it's marks proudly....
    I've noticed the slides on PT 1911's that are parkerized rust quickly when down to bare metal, but the slides from a Spartan and a RIA do not seem to rust as fast. The more carbon there is in steel, the more rust resistant the bare metal is, so maybe the PT slide has less carbon than the STI and the RIA.

(Bucks County)

I've noticed the slides on PT 1911's that are parkerized rust quickly when down to bare metal, but the slides from a Spartan and a RIA do not seem to rust as fast. The more carbon there is in steel, the more rust resistant the bare metal is, so maybe the PT slide has less carbon than the STI and the RIA.
    Umm The Higher carbon content the faster it rusts I think ..... Stainless steel is of lower carbon I thought ...... maybe I am wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Umm The Higher carbon content the faster it rusts I think ..... Stainless steel is of lower carbon I thought ...... maybe I am wrong ...
    Steel is iron + carbon which is why steel doesn't rust as fast as plain old iron. Steels that have a higher concentrate of carbon will not rust as fast as a low carbon steel. Stainless steel has chromium in it which is a rust preventative and high carbon stainless steel has all the above and is the best. I only know because I used to build knives as a mad money hobbie.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-high...less-steel.htm

(Centre County)

Some lower end 1911's do suffer from weak, thin coating. Taurus PT1911's are well known for that, and RIA isn't that great either.

I don't think its much of an issue, unless If you holster is in leather holster all the time.

On the side note, well worn service 1911's are thing of beauty on its own right tho...

Oh the story they could tell...
    Last edited by Mity2; December 22nd, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

Steel is iron + carbon which is why steel doesn't rust as fast as plain old iron. Steels that have a higher concentrate of carbon will not rust as fast as a low carbon steel. Stainless steel has chromium in it which is a rust preventative and high carbon stainless steel has all the above and is the best. I only know because I used to build knives as a mad money hobbie.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-high...less-steel.htm
    Had it backwards for years ........ Thanks I learned something today and did not get fried ......... Thanks

rep sent

(Lackawanna County)

Question.... I bought an Auto-ordnance 1911 parkerized a couple years ago, I've only carried it a few times, and store it in a padded case, however I have noticed some wearing of the finish at the corners and edges of the slide. I've used brichwood Casey 's " barricade " oil/ protective wipes on my blued firearms, should I be using this on my parkerized 1911 as well?

Gotta love the 1911
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)