Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do we do

Default what do we do

Its bad out there, the media is going crazy, they're reporting everything and anything that has to do with a firearm used in an illegal way, as we all know many stores aren't selling firearms anymore, the NRA has crawled into a hole and they aren't reporting anything, people are going crazy calling for bans and restrictions of all sorts, politicians are switching sides and siding with the anti gunners now, I feel helpless, I tried contacting my local representatives but they're already calling for more gun control, I feel like Its all over, whatever the antis call for they'll get, support for more gun control sky rocketed, and the media portraying any semi automatic weapon as an assault weapon isn't helping

Is it all over? Are we looking at a England kind of restriction or a Canada restriction with a 60 day waiting period or a limit on how many firearms and rounds we may own, it seems like there's very few people our there with common sense on how this should be handled

Am I alone in feeling this way?

I wish there was more I can do but I feel powerless
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Butler County)

Default Re: what do we do

Don't lose hope! Don't give in to feeling like your voice doesn't matter!
    Email, call, write letters! C'mon, after all we "cling", so DON'T GIVE UP!

See these threads:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...r-writing.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/1...up-phones.html

edited to add: I agree the NRA needs to come out with something soon.

But we're also from Pennsylvania and if there's one thing about Pennsylvania, it's that we have an amazing grassroots effort when it comes to our gun rights! We don't have to wait for an organization to lead the way, just start contacting those senators and representatives. If Senators changed their positions, we have to put enough pressure on them to change their position again. We can do that.
    Last edited by I'm armed; December 18th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

(Bucks County)

I think it's time we start meeting and discussing options. Sometimes meetings help you feel less secluded. In 2009 I felt horrible of what was happening then I started going to 9/12 groups, Tea parties and so forth and felt better after meeting up with people.

One thing I'm surprised of...I have not heard of states stepping in and saying F-U to any kind of "ban". They represent us and we need to hold their feet to the fire as this is our LAST "fail safe" before total tyranny.

We need to support each other and most importantly TRUST each other. As Ben Franklin said:
    "We need to all hang together or most assuredly we'll hang alone".

here is a sample letter of mine, please give me some pointers or facts that i can throw in there

Dear representative

My name is xxxxxxx, I am writing to you today regarding the tragedy that happened in Newtown, with all the emotional feelings and the loss its understandable to turn to guns as the problem and not look at the real issue. In reality we must realize that what we have been doing year after year is not working and that we must turn to other means of protecting our schools. I am letting you know that I am completely against any new gun laws, may it be federal or local, I will not support any new laws that will further restrict my rights as an American citizen.

No new laws would have prevented the tragedy that happened in Newtown. It is estimated that Adam broke over 41 laws on that horrific day. He broke a law when he stole his mothers firarms, he broke a law when he killed his mother, he broke a law when he drove with loaded firearms in his vehicle from NJ to Connecticut, he broke a law when he took the firearms to the school, he broke a law when he brought the firearms into the school. There are many other laws that Adam broke on that day and none of them prevented the acts he committed.

Recently politicians have been calling for an assault weapons ban and a high magazine ban, I am completely against both measures, not only because it will restrict my rights but because they will serve no purpose in preventing tragedies. It is said Adam stole the weapons from his mother who lives in NJ, well as you know NJ already has an assault weapons ban which is stricter than the old federal ban, Connecticut too also has an assault weapons ban, both state also have bans against high capacity magazines. Neither of these bans prevented the tragedy Adam committed, so any type of federal ban will not prevent a tragedy of this kind.

Instead of focusing on gun control we must focus on school safety. There are many things we as people can do to make schools safer and banning any type of firearm is not one of them. We can look towards the lack of security our schools currently have. Something along the lines of installing metal detectors at a schools entrance, allowing only one entrance into a school building but having many exits, having an armed police officer or security guard man this entrance into the school. All of these are examples of how to make our schools safer and hopefully eliminate any future tragedies. I understand that such measures will cost us all but can we really put a price tag on our children’s safety?

I urge you to step up and please speak out the truth. People look up to their representatives at a time like this, and I understand that its easier to reassure people that youre doing all you can by supporting new laws but this is nothing more than a false sense of security that will do nothing in the future except make people feel safer when in fact they are not. I urge you to be truthful to the people you represent, admit we all made a mistake and that we’re going to do everything possible to prevent such future tragedies starting with eliminating any myth that gun control would have prevented this and by looking at current schools safety and how we can increase their safety to help truly prevent a horrific act like the one in Newtown.

Hopefully if we all stick together as Americans, as parents or as a concerned individual we can eliminate all such horrific events from our future. Nothing hurts a nation more than a tragedy like this one. We must come together to prevent such acts and truly protect our children from such people who look to do them harm. Eliminating certain types of objects will not do this but protecting our kids from these people will. I pray I never have to hear of such a horrific act in my life again but I know in reality that will only come with true change and understanding that there is so much more we can do to protect our kids and that we must start doing them.
    Last edited by darkhunter; December 18th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm armed View Post
    But we're also from Pennsylvania and if there's one thing about Pennsylvania, it's that we have an amazing grassroots effort when it comes to our gun rights! We don't have to wait for an organization to lead the way, just start contacting those senators and representatives. If Senators changed their positions, we have to put enough pressure on them to change their position again. We can do that.
    Time to man up, we Pennsylvanians are the ORRIGINAL Revolutionaries. We KICKED OUT the BLACK WATCH almost 10 years before Lexington and Concord. WE started the Whiskey Rebellion. We can't back down now.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    here is a sample letter of mine, please give me some pointers or facts that i can throw in there

Dear representative

My name is xxxxxxx, I am writing to you today regarding the tragedy that happened in Newtown, with all the emotional feelings and the loss its understandable to turn to guns as the problem and not look at the real issue. In reality we must realize that what we have been doing year after year is not working and that we must turn to other means of protecting our schools. I am letting you know that I am completely against any new gun laws, may it be federal or local, I will not support any new laws that will further restrict my rights as an American citizen.

No new laws would have prevented the tragedy that happened in Newtown. It is estimated that Adam broke over 41 laws on that horrific day. He broke a law when he stole his mothers firarms, he broke a law when he killed his mother, he broke a local law when he drove with firearms in his vehicle from NJ to Connecticut, he broke a law when he took the firearms to the school, he broke a law when he brought the firearms into the school. There are many other laws that Adam broke on that day and none of them prevented the acts he committed.

Recently politicians have been calling for an assault weapons ban and a high magazine ban, I am completely against both measures, not only because it will restrict my rights but because they will serve no purpose in preventing tragedies. It is said Adam stole the weapons from his mother who lives in NJ, well as you know NJ already has an assault weapons ban which is stricter than the old federal ban, Connecticut too also has an assault weapons ban, both state also have bans against high capacity magazines. Neither of these bans prevented the tragedy Adam committed, so any type of federal ban will not prevent a tragedy of this kind.

Instead of focusing on gun control we must focus on school safety. There are many things we as people can do to make schools safer and banning any type of firearm is not one of them. We can look towards the lack of security our schools currently have. Something along the lines of installing metal detectors at a schools entrance, allowing only one entrance into a school building but having many exits, having an armed police officer or security guard man this entrance into the school. All of these are examples of how to make our schools safer and hopefully eliminate any future tragedies. I understand that such measures will cost us all but can we really put a price tag on our children’s safety?
    That's actually a pretty good letter. Maybe I can use as well and modify a few things?

(Bucks County)

SIZE MATTERRS.
    We must defeat them, not compromise with them.
    We need a HUGE increase in NRA Membership.
    Barely 5% of gun owners belong, if that
    Personally I think that's a disgrace, this has always, at least in my lifetime, been a huge politically charged issue and really only the NRA Membership and the ballot box stands in their way.
    And we Effed up the ballot box.
    Join the NRA TODAY. OUR RIGHTS DEPEND ON YOU.
    TODAY!!!!!!!
    Last edited by PocketProtector; December 18th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

I added this:

Our thoughts and prayers are with these families as we need to reach out to them at this time...as true Americans. Also, as a father of three children I feel responsible for their well being and safety inside and outside of our home. 99.99% of firearms owners (including myself) are responsible and enjoy sharing this God given right with them. We look forward to you preserving this right for MY children and their children so they have the right to protect themselves.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    SIZE MATTERRS.
    We must defeat them, not compromise with them.
    We need a HUGE increase in NRA Membership.
    Barely 5% of gun owners belong, if that
    Personally I think that's a disgrace, this has always, at least in my lifetime, been a huge politically charged issue and really only the NRA Membership stands in their way.
    Your "We must defeat them, not compromise with them" line is excellent!!

I completely agree! I'm not willing to give in. To me, giving them an inch is surrender. Compromising with those whose end goal is to eventually disarm us is surrendering. I hope we can all stand together on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I added this:

Our thoughts and prayers are with these families as we need to reach out to them at this time...as true Americans. Also, as a father of three children I feel responsible for their well being and safety inside and outside of our home. 99.99% of firearms owners (including myself) are responsible and enjoy sharing this God given right with them. We look forward to you preserving this right for MY children and their children so they have the right to protect themselves.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi
    That's a good add in, thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast