Here's what I've been sending:

I’m writing you to urge you to vote NO to any potential firearms ban, ban on magazine capacity, and any other knee-jerk gun control legislation that may come up for a vote as a result of the terrible tragedy in Connecticut. I, like many others, was shocked, saddened and outraged at this senseless act of violence. But I would urge us not to rush any legislation that could strip away the rights of law-abiding citizens as a result. As a firearms owner myself, but more importantly as a responsible citizen, husband, and father to two young daughters, my firearms are my last line of defense for the safety of my family and myself. I own a wide variety of firearms, everything from modern sporting rifles (that some have erroneously and maliciously labeled “assault weapons”) to semi-automatic handguns, to shotguns and bolt action rifles. Each of them has a particular use, from home security, to hunting, to sport and recreational shooting. I use these firearms responsibly and safely, and feel that I, nor the other 99.9% of legal firearms owners should be punished for the 0.1% of the population that uses them for evil.

With respect to an “assault weapons ban,” are you aware that these so-called “assault weapons” are used in less than 1/10th of 1% of all crimes in which a firearm is used? As I said, the VAST majority of firearms owners are law-abiding, responsible citizens.

As for the “high-capacity” magazine ban, this is yet another misnomer used by gun control advocates to conjure fear. The 30-round magazine is actually a “standard capacity” magazine that is sold with almost all modern rifles. And nearly all modern handguns come with magazines larger than 10 rounds. Mandating a 10-round limit on all magazine capacity will serve no purpose. Even an untrained shooter can change magazines in less than 5 seconds. All this will result in is shooters carrying multiple magazines, all while hindering the efforts of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families. One has to look no further than the woman in Alabama who, armed only with a 6-shot revolver, shot a knife wielding intruder 5 times only to have him still be a threat, to see that limiting magazines to 10 rounds could be a potentially deadly scenario for someone defending their home from multiple intruders.

In closing, I urge you to vote down any and all gun control legislation that is brought up this legislative session. These draconian measures serve no other purpose than to gut the real purpose of the Second Amendment, and deprive law-abiding citizens of the means to protect themselves and their families from those who mean to do them harm. Do not punish the majority for the sins of a very few.

If you or any of your staff would like to talk further on this subject, I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Thank you for your time

<this guy>