Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Letter to Sen. Casey

Since Senator Casey has no come out in support of a AWB and high-cap mag ban (although he was careful to use the correct terminology), I decided to write him a letter through email:

Dear Sen. Casey,
    I am writing this to urge you to withdraw your support for 'military style' rifle and 'high capacity' magazine bans. Please look at the reality of the situation here and do not bow down to pressure from overly emotional sources just to create a 'feel-good' measure that will in reality do nothing to solve these problems we are facing. Namely I want to address these specific two issues at hand.

First of all, rifles of any kind (not just 'military style' ones account for a very small portion of homicides committed. Even though tragedies like the Sandy Hook massacre make it seem like it is a problem, in the grand scheme of things it truly accounts for very little. According to the FBI statistics, in 2011 there were a total of 12,664 homicides committed. 323 of those were committed with a rifle of any kind, while handguns accounted for 6220 of them. Any rational person should see that legislation that targets 2.5% of all homicides is misguided at best.

As far as 'high capacity' magazine bans, these are also misguided at best. There is no confirmation in studies on the subject that magazine limits have any effect on reducing death tolls from day-to-day homicides, let alone these mass shooting rampages. The best example of this is the Virginia Tech massacre. The murderer had 17 magazines of no more than 10 rounds each. The 10 round limit did not stop him from murdering 32 people and wounding another 17. Any experienced shooter knows that it takes only a matter of seconds to change a magazine in a firearm, especially in these cases where the murderers face no opposition.

If you truly wish to save lives, especially that of children, there are many other areas you could focus on that cause more death and injury on a daily basis than these horrible mass shootings do. As horrifying as they are, we must be rational and realize that mass shootings are actually rare compared to the numbers of people dying from many other ways in the country today. Accidental drownings (not boating related) alone account for about 700 children under the age of 14 dying each year, yet we hardly hear of any outrage from this.

As hard as it may be, I am asking you to not listen to those who have an agenda but little else in the way of factual information. Especially when emotions run high after events like this it is important to look at the facts and the reality of the situations in order to not make mistakes, and in this case to pass legislation that will not only have no effect on the problem, but is also an encroachment on the constitutional rights of many of your constituents.

Thank you for your time.

I highly doubt this will change his mind, but it's all truth and it's the truth that we need to get out there and get people to realize.
    ~Daniel

Default Re: Letter to Sen. Casey

Good letter and I applaud you writing it. I am doing the same on a regular basis.

The problem I see with Casey is he is not up for reelection until 2018. Gonna be hard to change his mind when his job is not in any real immediate jeopardy.

(Lehigh County)

Send casey a one word letter.......COMMIE
    Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL

(Luzerne County)

I heard comrade casey on a local radio show this AM. He said even though there is just over half his mail aginst the bans he is planning to support them the voice of the people be damned.

(Luzerne County)

I just got a response from a letter I sent to Casey - it's a canned response, and obviously not what we want to hear, but I can't say its unexpected....

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ricbri69 View Post
    I just got a response from a letter I sent to Casey - it's a canned response, and obviously not what we want to hear, but I can't say its unexpected....

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator
    I got the same response.

(Lehigh County)

Here's my most recent...

Dear Senator Casey,
    Please vote against all new legislation further weakening our second amendment rights. The AWB targets the wrong people and will have little effect on gun violence as "assault weapons" are used in a very small number of gun crimes (less than 5%).
    The largest mass killing on record is at Virginia Tech where pistols and normal capacity magazines were used. Although the recent events of Newtown and Aurora are deeply saddening, they are outliers in the statistics surrounding gun violence.
    As a Pennsylvanian, I would like to see policy introduced to address the real problem at hand. Where were these heinous crimes committed? In gun free zones. The perpetrators knew they would have no opposition to their grisly carnage. We need to find a way to eliminate these areas and strengthen them to prevent them from being easy targets. I am an educator and I don’t feel completely safe at work. What would you do if you didn’t feel safe at work?
    I realize you have your job security for now but remember, the voters do not forgot issues as important as this.
    Sincerely,

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jns4psu View Post
    I got the same response.
    Also got the same response from said piece of shit. Glad he's focusing on supporting restrictions on high capacity clips, because I'm sure most of us use normal capacity (what the gun was designed for) magazines. So that part won't even affect most of us...unless you took a bunch of garand clips and welded them together so much so that to a piece of shit politician it would appear to be "high" capacity...

(Butler County)

heres the stand out point for me from the response I got

After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.
    Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator

Yep, sincerely it was........
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; January 18th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
    You are only here for a short while, make it fun

(Indiana County)

I received the same asinine canned response from Senator Casey at 7:20 PM this evening. Guaranteed nobody read my entire letter, just the subject.

What do you expect from a Senator who never authors any legislation on his own?

He has bowed and kissed BHO's ring.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast