Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Activists! How About Some Guidance for Letter Writing?

Rather than just ordering magazines and watching online retailers update their websites with "OUT OF STOCK" notices, I decided it's time to start writing.

I'm not typically "politically active", so I came here seeking some "direction", but I see NONE in the recent thread titles. (apologies if I've missed anything)

Things that would help those who are less inclined to "write letters" otherwise:

- Some links to "who" to send letters to.

- Templates, or sample letters that can be altered to suit the needs of the sender.

- ANY guidance at all.

It's been nauseating to listen to every person on television who has no involvement in shooting sports spew their "nobody NEEDS" BS, over and over again.

Unless WE make our voices heard, the only voices the elected officials will hear are those crying for a "solution". They aren't looking for a solution - they are looking for a scapegoat, and they found one in your gun safe!

I'll start working on a letter(s), but any assistance will be appreciated.

I can't be the only one who would appreciate a nudge in order to stand up for our rights. Let's do something about it.

Thanks for listening!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Activists! How About Some Guidance for Letter Writing?

Working on it EM, busy as hell Selling those guns down at the store though.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Great post EM. I'm framing my own but I usually keep it short and to the point and use only facts. I also keep emotion out of them. I'll post mine and hope to see others.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Lancaster County)

A hand written or typed letter sent through regular mail is going to have the most impact. I'm not a fan of form letters, I don't think they have the same impact as a well written letter by the individual. Make it short and to the point. They are not going to take the time to read pages and pages.

For the proposed ban I think we, as Pennsylvanians, need to target Bob Casey. http://www.casey.senate.gov/contact/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Rather than just ordering magazines and watching online retailers update their websites with "OUT OF STOCK" notices, I decided it's time to start writing.

I'm not typically "politically active", so I came here seeking some "direction", but I see NONE in the recent thread titles. (apologies if I've missed anything)

Things that would help those who are less inclined to "write letters" otherwise:

- Some links to "who" to send letters to.

- Templates, or sample letters that can be altered to suit the needs of the sender.

- ANY guidance at all.

It's been nauseating to listen to every person on television who has no involvement in shooting sports spew their "nobody NEEDS" BS, over and over again.

Unless WE make our voices heard, the only voices the elected officials will hear are those crying for a "solution". They aren't looking for a solution - they are looking for a scapegoat, and they found one in your gun safe!

I'll start working on a letter(s), but any assistance will be appreciated.

I can't be the only one who would appreciate a nudge in order to stand up for our rights. Let's do something about it.

Thanks for listening!
    Who do you want to contact and what do you want to say in your message

The media?

Elected officials?
    Federal or state or local

Snail mail is ALWAYS better than emails, FTF at a meeting in their office or public meeting is better than anything else to influence them. Sure it take time and extra effort, it also shows how much you value your rights

All of these online newspapers have comments section, you can sign up . Post your comments to fight the Pubic Relation war in the media for anyone that reads them maybe change hearts and minds with facts and figures to what the real problems are.

You would be surprised how effective this can be, of influencing people reading the articles or at least frustrating them when you can demonstrate that what they think won’t work in the real world. Anymore than a gun free sign works, as any laws only effect the people who obey them.

If nothing else takes the righteous of their cause when you remove the wind from their sail when you can prove they are nothing more than BS feel good measures.

Elected officials they all got websites now with their contact info

Templates or sample letters to send to Reps.
    There is a lot of talented and creative people with excellent writing skills on PAFOA that mostly goes un used

Maybe PAFOA moderators could create a special activist section (kinda of like political so letter stay on top and won't get lost in another section) Someone posts a letter on a subject and let people suggest fixes or corrections

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    A hand written or typed letter sent through regular mail is going to have the most impact. I'm not a fan of form letters, I don't think they have the same impact as a well written letter by the individual. Make it short and to the point. They are not going to take the time to read pages and pages.
    LOTS of wisdom here by LBaker
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Allegheny County)

Most are worried about the Feds passing a another law don’t forget most gun laws that effect you the most are at the state level and it only prevented by you paying attention & taking action.

We already have several anti-gun bill sponsorship memos making the rounds for the 2013-2014 legislative session.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cosponId=10179
    MEMORANDUM
    Posted: December 18, 2012 09:23 AM

To: All Senate members
    Subject: Assault Weapons Ban
    In the near future, I plan to introduce two pieces of legislation that would address the issue of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

As a legislative body, we have had the opportunity to work on important firearms legislation this past session, such as the recently-passed straw purchasing bill, House Bill 898. In an effort to continue the discussion on common-sense public safety proposals, I believe banning dangerous assault weapons for non-military and non-law enforcement agents should be addressed.

With the federal Assault Weapons Ban having expired in the fall of 2004, Pennsylvania has been left vulnerable to violence with assault weapons for the last eight years. According to the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, 20% of law enforcement agents killed in the line of duty in the U.S. are killed with assault weapons. Law enforcement organizations across the country supported the federal ban, including but not limited to the Fraternal Order of Police, National Sheriffs’ Association, International Association of Chiefs of Police and Major City Chiefs Association.

Our country has experienced so many devastating mass shootings over the past several months and years, and the U.S. has one of the highest number of gun-related murders of the world’s developed countries, totaling nearly 10,000 last year. While curbing heinous acts of violence will not be a one-sided solution, I believe we have a responsibility to ensure we explore every option so that no more innocent victims are taken.

Document #1
    Description: The first piece of legislation would enact a strict assault weapons ban in Pennsylvania modeled after the federal ban in effect from 1994 to 2004. This would include a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines.

Document #2
    Description: The second piece of legislation would memorialize Congress and the President of the United States to institute an assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazine ban on the federal level.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cosponId=10138
    MEMORANDUM
    Posted: December 17, 2012 10:27 AM

To: All House members
    Subject: Assault Weapons Ban
    In the near future, I plan to re-introduce House Bill 2592 of the 2011-2012 Legislative session, which will ban the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Since the federal law prohibiting assault weapons lapsed in 2004, many states have considered legislation to ban assault weapons. According to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, seven states have enacted laws banning assault weapons to varying degrees, including California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. In addition, other states have implemented partial bans or restrictions through law or regulation.

Currently, Pennsylvania does not prohibit the sale or transfer of assault weapons. Once a Pennsylvania resident is deemed eligible to purchase a firearm, that individual is permitted to obtain any weapon of their choice, including highly powerful and dangerous assault weapons. My legislation would amend Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes by creating a new section, §6121.1 (Certain Assault Weapons Prohibited), to prohibit the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon in the Commonwealth. However, this legislation includes exemptions for members of the United States Armed Forces, Reserve components, the National Guard and law enforcement officers who are performing official duties or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty.

Sadly, gun violence continues to permeate cities and towns across America. The time to act is now. Please join me in sponsoring this crucial legislation.
    For reference about what they are taking away see this thread here
    PA proposed Assault Weapons Ban – HB 2592 by Rep Waters 2012 effort
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...12-effort.html

There is lots more gun control legislation coming to PA besides just these couple of sponsorship memos
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Butler County)

Great thread, EM!

I've sent emails to my Rep and both Senators. I want to send written letters as well.

Whitefeather, is it better to send snail mail letters to their D.C. offices or local ones?

----------------------------------------------------
    D.C. office mailing addresses for PA Senators:

Senator Robert Casey, Jr.
    393 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510

Senator Pat Toomey
    502 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510

--------------------------------------------------------
    to send off email :
    Pennsylvania Senators

Bob Casey
    http://www.casey.senate.gov/contact/
    "Firearms" is listed under Message topic

Pat Toomey
    http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=contact
    "Gun rights" is listed under Topic

--------------------------------------------------------
    For phone calls to Pennsylvania Senator's offices:

Senator Bob Casey
    Phone: (202) 224-6324
    Toll Free: (866) 802-2833

Senator Pat Toomey
    (202) 224-4254
    according to his website, " In Pennsylvania, the senator's office can be reached toll-free at (855) 552-1831."
    Last edited by I'm armed; December 18th, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: corrected # for Sen. Toomey. I had the fax # there. Sorry!

(Beaver County)

I have only thus far written to Senator Toomey, and done so via email. I'll do more when I am able.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm armed View Post

Whitefeather, is it better to send snail mail letters to their D.C. offices or local ones?

If its not to much trouble or cost snail mail them to both locations.

What could it hurt? much like buy a 2nd lottery ticket increases the chances of winning, in this case a extra chance of getting noticed.

You could also Fax a copy to one of the offices and snail mail to other office.

I'm armed thank you for taking action, and politely (passionately) expressing your opinion to elected officials, they need to hear from US.

Thanks guys, we need to let our voices be heard before the end of the year....this thing is moving swiftly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast