Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Activists! How About Some Guidance for Letter Writing?

Here's what I've been sending:

I’m writing you to urge you to vote NO to any potential firearms ban, ban on magazine capacity, and any other knee-jerk gun control legislation that may come up for a vote as a result of the terrible tragedy in Connecticut. I, like many others, was shocked, saddened and outraged at this senseless act of violence. But I would urge us not to rush any legislation that could strip away the rights of law-abiding citizens as a result. As a firearms owner myself, but more importantly as a responsible citizen, husband, and father to two young daughters, my firearms are my last line of defense for the safety of my family and myself. I own a wide variety of firearms, everything from modern sporting rifles (that some have erroneously and maliciously labeled “assault weapons”) to semi-automatic handguns, to shotguns and bolt action rifles. Each of them has a particular use, from home security, to hunting, to sport and recreational shooting. I use these firearms responsibly and safely, and feel that I, nor the other 99.9% of legal firearms owners should be punished for the 0.1% of the population that uses them for evil.

With respect to an “assault weapons ban,” are you aware that these so-called “assault weapons” are used in less than 1/10th of 1% of all crimes in which a firearm is used? As I said, the VAST majority of firearms owners are law-abiding, responsible citizens.

As for the “high-capacity” magazine ban, this is yet another misnomer used by gun control advocates to conjure fear. The 30-round magazine is actually a “standard capacity” magazine that is sold with almost all modern rifles. And nearly all modern handguns come with magazines larger than 10 rounds. Mandating a 10-round limit on all magazine capacity will serve no purpose. Even an untrained shooter can change magazines in less than 5 seconds. All this will result in is shooters carrying multiple magazines, all while hindering the efforts of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families. One has to look no further than the woman in Alabama who, armed only with a 6-shot revolver, shot a knife wielding intruder 5 times only to have him still be a threat, to see that limiting magazines to 10 rounds could be a potentially deadly scenario for someone defending their home from multiple intruders.

In closing, I urge you to vote down any and all gun control legislation that is brought up this legislative session. These draconian measures serve no other purpose than to gut the real purpose of the Second Amendment, and deprive law-abiding citizens of the means to protect themselves and their families from those who mean to do them harm. Do not punish the majority for the sins of a very few.

If you or any of your staff would like to talk further on this subject, I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Thank you for your time

<this guy>
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by levergun View Post
    I've been contacting my reps daily. Here's the letter I sent.

[b]
    "First let me state that I am totally opposed to any more restrictions on legal gun owners, as well as opposed to any politician who would vote for them. If you would like to read farther I will explain my reasons. Please forgive me if I am preaching to the choir.

That first line is succinct and to the point. good job.

(Lancaster County)

Remember that there are others (in addition to politicians) to contact.

I emailed the NRA yesterday. Explained that I was a member in the past but quit due to their apparent willingness to compromise. Told them I've now rejoined to help send a message of unity, but whether they see my ongoing support depends entirely upon their performance in this war. I emphasized: There is NO COMPROMISE ON LIBERTY.

(Greene County)

There's some great info here. I've been trying to send an email a day (or every couple of days) to my elected officials. But the information provided by the members suggest some better ways to go about that. Thanks to all for the guidance. Hope to see this thread continue and the information grow.

The NRA and Ruger sites offer some pretty decent "cookie cutter" templates for preparing/sending email/U.S. Mail to our elected officials. I figure those are a good way to form your letter and delete what you don't want to include, or add in whatever you want.

Thanks again,

(Chester County)

Gun Violence:

As is typical of “progressives”, Vice-President Biden and President Obama are attaching the worn out phrase “If we can save just one life” to the argument for stricter gun control measures.

Of all the things that this gun-control debate is about – particularly in Washington, D.C., it is NOT about saving lives! The gun-control debate in Washington D.C. and in the liberal media is TOTALLY about politics and the further erosion of the rights and liberties of law-abiding citizens.

How many lives would have been saved had abortion not been legalized and supported by the Federal Government? Millions! Is Washington, D.C. wailing about those lost lives? NO!

Would the President surround himself with thousands of jars of dead fetuses to plea for an end to abortion? I don’t think so.

How many lives would have been saved if the U.S. Government had not conducted Operation Fast And Furious? Those of countless numbers of innocent Mexican citizens! Is Washington, D.C. wailing about those lost lives? NO!

How many lives could have been saved in Benghazi, had the U.S. Government not hesitated to act to protect our citizens there? At least 4, as you well know. Is Washington, D.C. wailing about those lost lives? NO!

How many lives could have been saved by securing our border? MORE than ONE, I’m sure. I believe that Agent Terry’s family, the U.S. Border Patrol and the families of innocent victims murdered by illegal aliens would all agree.

How many lives have been lost over a pair of sneakers, for God’s sake! Should we ban the sale of sneakers – it COULD save just one life! Is Washington, D.C. wailing about that? NO! Should Nike be subpoenaed to testify before Congress and made to “pay” for selling shoes that ultimately result in the loss of life?

I could go on and on but it has to be obvious that the “save one life” argument is absurd – regardless of the political context.

Those who express such passion at “saving just one life” should NOT be infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens to save their own lives!

As a parent and grandparent I hope to God that I NEVER have to face a situation that requires the use of deadly force, but should it occur, I want to have the advantage – not the disadvantage, when it comes to defending my own life and those of my loved ones. Oh, by the way – a 30 round magazine is the STANDARD capacity magazine for the modern, semi-automatic rifle. A five or ten round magazine is of sub-standard capacity.

Just as absurd as the “save one life” mantra is when discussing the restriction of firearm types and magazine capacities – there exists the equally absurd “denial” of the fact that firearms do indeed, SAVE lives!

If we can “save just one life” by ensuring that law-abiding citizens can arm and defend themselves with the firearm and magazine capacity of their choice why shouldn’t the U.S. Government be supporting that?

I’ve noticed that when law-enforcement officers respond to “active shooter” incidents, they are typically carrying a rifle with a 30 round magazine. Are they assuming they will be facing 30 “shooters” or does the magazine capacity of their firearm give them one more advantage in protecting themselves as they enter a potentially deadly situation? All law-abiding citizens have the same rights of self-defense as any police officer does.

Why would the Obama Administration want to turn law-abiding citizens into victims to be preyed upon by criminals or the mentally disturbed? We have done nothing wrong!

I urge all of our elected officials to defend the Constitutional rights of the law-abiding citizens of this State and the nation. We’d really rather NOT be victims! We actually want to “save just one life” – OUR OWN, if necessary!

That is one hell of a first post watchman. This gives me another angel to use in my next batch of snail mail. Thanks for the talking points.

(Chester County)

Response From Congressman Jim Gerlach - Sounds Like He Might Be Drifting!

Thank you for your contacting me regarding your thoughts on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, in the aftermath of the school shootings in Newtown, CT, Vice President Joe Biden was charged with leading a task force including members of advocacy groups, teachers, elected officials, and sports and wildlife conservationists to prepare recommendations for President Obama on how to reduce gun violence. On January 16th, President Obama unveiled this broad package of measures that range from legislative proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips to Executive Orders to improve incentives for states to contribute records to federal background check systems established under existing law. I look forward to the President bringing these plans to Congress where I hope to have an open and honest discussion with my House colleagues and constituents about how to protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens while, at the same time, preventing those who lack the ability and competency to responsibly use firearms from obtaining and using them to harm innocent victims.

Let me make it explicitly clear that my policy positions and votes on legislation are driven and determined by what I believe will be in the best interests of the over 700,000 constituents who I represent in the Sixth Congressional District of Pennsylvania. Our constituency is made up of individuals with a diverse range of opinions and beliefs on all issues, including polarizing and sensitive topics such as gun control, and it is my responsibility to take into consideration all of these thoughts and opinions before making any final decision as to how I will vote on legislation.

With that being said, during my tenure in Congress, I have supported legislation to preserve and protect the constitutional rights of our citizens, including those rights provided under the Second Amendment. However, as is the case with every bill that comes to the House floor, I will evaluate each piece of legislation and weigh the costs, benefits and expected impact of such legislation against the concerns and views of my constituents and one's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or your family in the future.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

Jim Gerlach
    Member of Congress
    Last edited by The_Watchman; January 18th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JesterPgh View Post
    I have only thus far written to Senator Toomey, and done so via email. I'll do more when I am able.
    As you may guess from my moniker, there is little that Senator Toomey and I agree on. However, the 2nd Amendment is one issue where we do agree.

God help the 2nd Amendment if the likes of Pat Toomey start voting against our rights!

When you're writing letters to a politician who is "friendly" to your views, don't just ask him for future votes on issues, but also thank him for past votes. Additionally, if a vote on current proposals comes up, don't forget to write a letter (or even an email) thanking them for their vote...even if such crappy proposals are approved over his "no" vote.

Remember, the other side will be especially targeting our political "friends," so the thank you messaging has to be made from us.

(Westmoreland County)

This is my first post on this forum. I finally decided it was time to stop lurking and become more active both on the forum and community in general. I've been growing increasingly frustrated with the rhetoric in the news lately, and vented into something I ended up posting online. I'm posting here in case people can use any of it as inspiration in their own letters, or in debates they have with grabbers...

As I watch and read the news of impending gun control legislation, I find myself wondering why some amendments are subject to weakening while others are not. There is a debate raging with reference to the extent gun ownership should be restricted or magazine capacity limited. What would be the reaction if the debate was over an amendment other than the 2nd? What would be the acceptable limitation on free speech? What if Congress decreed that 25% of speech was now illegal? What if 25% of all news articles were simply redacted? Or, the 3rd Amendment only stood for 20 days of the month, but 10 days of the month government agents could enter your house and you must feed them, clothe them and let them have their way with your wife and daughters as pre-Revolutionary English soldiers did?

If infringement of the 1st, 3rd, or any other of the Bill of Rights is unacceptable, why then would infringement of the 2nd be acceptable? When we declared our independence from England, we declared our rights to be unalienable. The 2nd Amendment stands as testament to the people's right to resist oppression, to resist tyranny, to resist usurpation by government. Rights exist without inscription upon parchment, without the blessing of government, but as an inherent part of all free people. These rights were recorded, not granted, for posterity in that document. To infringe upon such a right is to infringe upon the very definition of a freedom.

I’ve heard all manner of interpretations regarding the 2nd Amendment. Even the most elementary evaluation of the Bill of Rights reveals an underlying tenor that rights exist to resist the natural progression of government toward tyranny; rights recorded, not granted, for posterity.

Some may scoff at the idea that tyranny could ever rise in America. In a country founded on the principle of liberty, with the mightiest military the world has ever seen, how could a tyrant gain power here? How does it happen anywhere?

Stalin. Mao. Caesar. Mubarak. Pot. Salazar. Chavez. Hitler. Khamenei. Kim Jong-il. Kim Jong-un.

The “how?” is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it can, and has, happened throughout the course of history - even in our lifetimes. Do I expect to take up arms against my government in my lifetime? Absolutely not. Do I expect my kids to? Absolutely not. But, should the need arise, am I willing *and able* to do so? Yes. We often talk about the 3 branches of government, and how they are supposed to keep each other in check. Rarely do we mention the 4th influence that keeps government, as a whole, in check - the armed populace.

At question today is the right to defend one's self from harm, be it immediate physical harm or the harm of a remote ruling tyrant - a right which predates the firearm. From the time the first cave man raised his fist or rock in defense of his possessions, he was exercising his natural rights. The 2nd Amendment is simply a representation of an already established right of man. There is no negotiation of natural rights, they are non-negotiable. The negotiation of rights is a tactic used by those who would usurp power over us. Let us not retreat on the 2nd Amendment, lest we find ourselves defending against assailants, or tyranny, with only a rock and our fists.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Watchman View Post
    Gun Violence:

As is typical of “progressives”, Vice-President Biden and President Obama are attaching the worn out phrase “If we can save just one life” to the argument for stricter gun control measures.

Of all the things that this gun-control debate is about – particularly in Washington, D.C., it is NOT about saving lives! The gun-control debate in Washington D.C. and in the liberal media is TOTALLY about politics and the further erosion of the rights and liberties of law-abiding citizens.

How many lives would have been saved had abortion not been legalized and supported by the Federal Government? Millions! Is Washington, D.C. wailing about those lost lives? NO!

Would the President surround himself with thousands of jars of dead fetuses to plea for an end to abortion? I don’t think so.

How many lives would have been saved if the U.S. Government had not conducted Operation Fast And Furious? Those of countless numbers of innocent Mexican citizens! Is Washington, D.C. wailing about those lost lives? NO!

How many lives could have been saved in Benghazi, had the U.S. Government not hesitated to act to protect our citizens there? At least 4, as you well know. Is Washington, D.C. wailing about those lost lives? NO!

How many lives could have been saved by securing our border? MORE than ONE, I’m sure. I believe that Agent Terry’s family, the U.S. Border Patrol and the families of innocent victims murdered by illegal aliens would all agree.

How many lives have been lost over a pair of sneakers, for God’s sake! Should we ban the sale of sneakers – it COULD save just one life! Is Washington, D.C. wailing about that? NO! Should Nike be subpoenaed to testify before Congress and made to “pay” for selling shoes that ultimately result in the loss of life?

I could go on and on but it has to be obvious that the “save one life” argument is absurd – regardless of the political context.

Those who express such passion at “saving just one life” should NOT be infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens to save their own lives!

As a parent and grandparent I hope to God that I NEVER have to face a situation that requires the use of deadly force, but should it occur, I want to have the advantage – not the disadvantage, when it comes to defending my own life and those of my loved ones. Oh, by the way – a 30 round magazine is the STANDARD capacity magazine for the modern, semi-automatic rifle. A five or ten round magazine is of sub-standard capacity.

Just as absurd as the “save one life” mantra is when discussing the restriction of firearm types and magazine capacities – there exists the equally absurd “denial” of the fact that firearms do indeed, SAVE lives!

If we can “save just one life” by ensuring that law-abiding citizens can arm and defend themselves with the firearm and magazine capacity of their choice why shouldn’t the U.S. Government be supporting that?

I’ve noticed that when law-enforcement officers respond to “active shooter” incidents, they are typically carrying a rifle with a 30 round magazine. Are they assuming they will be facing 30 “shooters” or does the magazine capacity of their firearm give them one more advantage in protecting themselves as they enter a potentially deadly situation? All law-abiding citizens have the same rights of self-defense as any police officer does.

Why would the Obama Administration want to turn law-abiding citizens into victims to be preyed upon by criminals or the mentally disturbed? We have done nothing wrong!

I urge all of our elected officials to defend the Constitutional rights of the law-abiding citizens of this State and the nation. We’d really rather NOT be victims! We actually want to “save just one life” – OUR OWN, if necessary!
    +1 brother. Glad to have you here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast