Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: New Reloader Question

thank you everyone for the responses. My press/kit should be arriving in the mail today!!!!

A question about powder charges- would I be missing anything if i kept with using the listed minimum charge for a particular cartridge? Or am I really better off say:

loading 5 rnds at minimum charge

5 at + 10%

and another at +20%

checking my groups and go from there?

Thanks again for any insight, and happy 2013!

(Lehigh County)

the only one that can answer this is you. if you are happy with the charge and getting the groups you expect, keep it there, if not, you are going to have to change it.

(Washington County)

I will usually start 10% down from the minimum.
    I'll load up 5-10 rounds at that charge and go up in .1 gr increments.

For example: I'll do 5-10 rounds at 5.0gr, then 5-10 at 5.1gr, etc.

I'll look for grouping and felt recoil. A light plinking load can be accurate also.
    Last edited by M&P Chris; January 2nd, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Adding info
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Bucks County)

Before you start reloading anything, buy and read a good reloading manual. Lyman reloading handbook is about $23 and worth buying.

You should be ok storing your powder, closed tightly in a dry place. Keep in mind that you will be storing more than one pound. Each cartridge you load may take a different powder, there are powders that will work with 9mm and 45 ACP but 7.62 will require a different powder.

I would not recommend going below or above reputable published load data for any round. Semi auto pistols require the load to be adequate to cycle but not to hot for the gun. They also need to be sized and crimped right to feed reliably. Working up a load should be in the manual.

Other items you may want to consider purchasing:
    1. Powder measure
    2. Loading block (holds 50 rounds upright as you charge the case)
    3. Dial calipers
    4. Case check gauge for 9mm and 45 ACP.

Here is a link to load data for Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I have a portable set-up that I take with me when visiting my Dad.

Everything fits in a milk crate and a small tool bag. Tool bag has all my trimmers, case gauges, hand held priming tools, case prep stuff.

I have one of the cheapo aluminum Lee "0" style presses mounted to a piece of 2x4 that I can clamp to a table but I recommend one of these:

[IMG]http://kingofsaving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Black-and-Decker-WorkMate-Portable-Project-Center-and-Vise-WM1252.jpg[IMG]

Cheapo workmate folds up easy to stash in a closet, but sturdy enough to hold a press while you work the arm.

I mainly use my portable single stage to do case prep work. Actual loading I do on the bench. But it saves me a ton of time.

Since you are only looking at doing pistol rounds to start, something like that should work out pretty good for you.
    This post hit on a question that I had. I am aiming to start doing a lot more shooting in the near future - my goal is going to be to get out and shoot at least once every month or every other month. For me, this is going to be a substantial increase in range time and I'm thinking that if/when I really do start going to the range more frequently I might like to start reloading. I own a home with plenty of space to reload in, but I don't have any unfinished/non-living space to set up a work bench in (the entire basement save a small utility/furnace closet is finished and there is no usable space in the attic; garage is small and shed is full of general tools/yard equip/mowers/motorcycle/etc). I was thinking that I could set up either a single-stage press or a turret style on a collapsible table of some kind that could be stored in the utility closet when not in use, but I was worried that it wouldn't be sturdy enough. Is a cheap little table like this really sturdy enough? Most people posting pics of their work benches/areas seem to be building them super hefty.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    I was thinking that I could set up either a single-stage press or a turret style on a collapsible table of some kind that could be stored in the utility closet when not in use, but I was worried that it wouldn't be sturdy enough. Is a cheap little table like this really sturdy enough? Most people posting pics of their work benches/areas seem to be building them super hefty.
    What ian said. At one time I mounted a lyman turrent on some 3/4" plywood that was mounted to a chunk of 2x4 that fit into one of those workmates. Worked well in an apartment. Heck I even have a hand press I've used at the range when working up loads. However if you're going to get into forming cases from one caliber to another, or reloading some very large rifle cases, then I suggest as sturdy as you can get. If you take the time to build then do it right the first time, as sturdy as you can.
    Edit:I suggest good lighting when loading. I used a portable gooseneck lamp in the beginning.
    Last edited by cephas; January 28th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12