Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New to Open Carry. Keep one in chamber or not?

Hello,

I'm new to Open Carry. I have actually had my license for years and just had to renew. I finally started carrying about two months ago when the shooting happened in the theatre. To be honest, it has always seemed cumbersome to carry so I finally went and bought a small sig 9mm. Here is the question though. I don't keep one in the chamber. Couple reasons for this. First, I have two kids. A 3 year old and a 6 year old who are both always coming and jumping on my lap. Even though it is kept in a holster, I could still see it going off from someone jumping on me. The problem is that I know it would take me a little longer to rack the chamber if I ever needed to pull it. In gun safety, I was always taught not to keep the gun caulked. For that reason I just don't feel safe keeping it "ready to fire". I guess its kinda catch 22? I feel as though I should be able to respond quicker if I ever needed it in self defense. I'd love to hear your opinions. So in the long, I'm concerned about self defense and safety around my kids at the same time.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New to Open Carry. Keep one in chamber or not?

Lots of advice in here, read through it: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/19...hlight=chamber
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Lots of advice in here, read through it: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/19...hlight=chamber
    Thanks. I figured it would be on here somewhere

(Lancaster County)

Whatever you are most comfortable with. It technically could increase the chance of an accident but you could chamber a round when going out and about and clear when you are at home. I'd get real comfortable with gun handling and the workings of your particular firearm. Practice practice practice. I worry about guys feeling pressured to carry one in the pipe. Or clearing the gun and having an ND that passes through a wall or floor. Sorry, I tend to babble at times. Be safe

Lots of old threads here. You could read for days and days about this topic.

One in the chamber or not is a personal choice and don't let others try and tell you you're stupid for not carrying with one in the chamber. Personally I only carry that way. For me the risk of an ND is not enough to deter me.

I will say that with pretty much any modern gun in good working order will not fire just because your kids jumped on it. That is of course when the gun is in a holster that completely covers the trigger. Most are drop safe so you're fine there.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take it all into consideration.

If you want, you can try a test. Go out and buy snap caps. Put a snap cap in the chamber whenever your home. The idea behind this is to build your confidence and show you the gun won't go off in your normal day to day activities while in the holster.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Washington County)

Personally I would not open carry until I felt totally comfortable with the pistol and with a round in chamber.
    Obtain a good holster that covers trigger guard. The pistol will not go off by itself.

I have an 18 month old daughter and shes all over me and I always carry. I carry Glock 19 and Have an atomic dog holster.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Chester County)

If you need to ever use it, you will hardly have a second. WIll you be able to rack it in that short time? I would suggest getting a piece that either has a safety or one that is double action, or both, like a ppk. Just make sure you know your weapon inside and out. I always keep one chambered but concealed, And i oc my revolver.
    “The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.” Ice-T

(Bedford County)

Not saying this to be smart, but any good, quality handgun should not go off if it is in a good holster, and the gun is in good working order. For example, my springfield XDM was in a holster and got knocked out of my safe because I wasn't paying attention when moving a long gun. It fell, hit the bottom of the safe, then the floor. All the time it was loaded, and it did not go bang. No gun should slam fire....ever.

As for the kids deal, yeh I get it. I have foster kids. Leave it in the safe, or on you. Then no worries.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast