Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default FN FIVE-SEVEN USG QUESTION

Anyone have any experience with this pistol. I see that they offer free 200 rounds of ammo with purchase. I like the 20 round cap magazines as well. My concern is the ammo, what is it similiar to? what kind of knockdown power does it have if thiergiving twenty in a mag. oh the round is the 5.7x28mm

(Fulton County)

Default Re: FN FIVE-SEVEN USG QUESTION

its similar to a 22 mag

(Allegheny County)

yup ... got 1st hand experience with it ... I have one ... its a change of pace
    gun ... I usually carry .45's and just recently started carrying a Glock 33

the 5.7 is a joy to shoot ... especially after shooting .45s ... I am still not
    about it as an everyday carry ... but with 20 shot clips who knows I might
    change my mind ..
    |Sig P320| Sig 556 Classic|Zastava M57|Glock 42|Custom 300 AAC Blackout|

I have one and will give you a very objective rendering.

Pros:
    1. Exceptional recoil management and control for an effective centerfire cartridge.
    2. Phenomenally accurate.
    3. 20 round capacity in the magazine. Comes with three mags, effective followup shot template
    4. Strong customer service support and a reputable manufacturer.

Cons.
    1. Expensive ammunition. As far as I know, the only two manufacturers are FN and Hornady. Runs about $25 per box of 50. So thats 50 cents a round. (assuming you don't reload. Bottleneck cartridges are a beeeatch to reload).
    2. Very expensive to practice with and its necessary to practice with any firearm that will become part of your self defense umbrella. Be it a safe queen or a primary/backup.
    3. This is one that I really hate, The front sight blade is gigantic and does not fit into every holster environment, Not that easy to quickly draw.
    4. Price. Depending upon whether you get it new or used but its gonna run $700-$1000 easy.

Hopefully that helps you. To answer your question, the stopping power is roughly equivalent to a 9mm, although Marshall and Sannow claim it as the second coming. I think the standard sporting round is sub 350 foot lbs, which place it well below the .40SW and .45ACP, So I am going to place it in the same realm as the 9mm but with greater capacity and more followup. But its a bigger platform than most subcompact 9mills. I don't have much faith in Marshall and Sannow, so its basically a centerfire .22 with the knockdown power of a 9mm, roughly., obviously much more powerfull than a .22 mag rimfire, since the bullet is being driven to roughly 1900 fps-2200 fps.

Its an esoteric platform for a collector, my recommendation, you are far better served with something like a Glock 26 or 27. , unless you are a collector and really want one and I will never tell another man that there is lack of excuse to buy another firearm. lol

Last edited by 40sw; March 19th, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks 40sw that really helped me out. i appreciate the time it took to inform me in such depth.

My pleasure. Let us know the outcome.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(Bucks County)

go to fivesevenforum.com, all the info you will ever want to know about the 5.7 is there along with other FN firearms.

(Wayne County)

The 20-round high cap mags are what intrigued me the most. I missed out on the Harrisburg show. Other than that, no one carries them around by me. It's definitely a must have for a collector. Whereas, this may not be around much longer(Brady). The expensive ammo is another turn off. And being that this is a full-size pistol, it's not really concealable but not impossible. I'm sure the OC guys would rep it. I'll probably get one of these in the summer. FN has a great reputation.

(Allegheny County)

yeah the ammo is on the high side ... $20 to $25 for a box of 50 ...
    but I guess reloading isnt too bad if ya have the right setup ..
    I saw info on the FN Board about a company Elite Ammo ..
    looks like some good stuff but once again $$$$
    |Sig P320| Sig 556 Classic|Zastava M57|Glock 42|Custom 300 AAC Blackout|

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    The 20-round high cap mags are what intrigued me the most. I missed out on the Harrisburg show. Other than that, no one carries them around by me. It's definitely a must have for a collector. Whereas, this may not be around much longer(Brady). The expensive ammo is another turn off. And being that this is a full-size pistol, it's not really concealable but not impossible. I'm sure the OC guys would rep it. I'll probably get one of these in the summer. FN has a great reputation.
    there are several on line retailers that sell FN 5.7 mags, they cost about 30 bucks a pop and you can buy an adapter that increases your round count to 30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast