Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Interaction with Garda

Just had an interesting encounter at the Trexlertown Wal-Mart a little while ago.

I had just pulled in and started making my way from the middle of the lot towards the front doors on the grocery side. Just as I was getting close a Garda armored car pulled up at the door in front of me. They must have been moving pretty fast because I did not notice the vehicle entering the lot as I was getting out of my vehicle.

I had encountered Garda drivers here at least once before and had never had a problem with them, so I continued on. The driver had seen me as he pulled in anyway, so it would have looked suspicious for me to suddenly do an about-face and head back the way I had come.

I walked past them and into the store, making sure to cross the front of the vehicle so they would not think I was slipping up behind them. Said hello to the door greeter as is my habit, and proceeded to start picking out some sweet potatoes that were on sale ($0.68 a pound. Not as cheap as they were a couple of weeks ago, but still pretty good).

I had been at this no more than a few seconds when I noticed movement and looked behind me. One of the Garda men was fast approaching. Oh, boy, I thought. Here we go.

And here it went:

Garda Employee (Hereby referred to as g-Man, since he was acting like he was a capitalized G-Man): You can't carry like that here.

Me: Actually, sir, in Pennsylvania I can -

g-Man (Interrupting): NO, you CAN'T. Outside in the parking lot you can, but you can't in this store!

Me: Sir, I assure you that what I am doing is legal-

g-Man (Interrupting again): You need to conceal that. You need a permit.

Me: Not in Pennsylvania. It does not need to be concealed.

g-Man: I'm an armored car driver. We have to check places out, and see what's going on. And what you're doing is not legal in this store.

Me: I've carried like this in this Wal-Mart dozens of times. It is perfectly legal.

g-Man: We'll see about that.

He then stomped off back towards his vehicle. By this point his belligerent attitude (From the get go, no less!) had me livid. He had no authority to keep me there, so I finished picking my sweet potatoes and moved on to the rest of my shopping. At no time was a manager called over to me, and at no point did any employees approach me about the firearm strapped to my hip. Everyone else was as pleasant as could be.

I half expected to see some police officers milling about at the front when I finished with the rest of my shopping, but did not see anyone nor did I see the armored car as I approached the checkout. He must have finally decided he needed to do his job instead of attempting to push me around, collected his money, and went on his way.

So far, it's two times I've been harassed in a Wal-Mart, and both times it was not by a Wal-Mart employee. Well, at least the trend continues.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Interaction with Garda

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Just had an interesting encounter at the Trexlertown Wal-Mart a little while ago.

I had just pulled in and started making my way from the middle of the lot towards the front doors on the grocery side. Just as I was getting close a Garda armored car pulled up at the door in front of me. They must have been moving pretty fast because I did not notice the vehicle entering the lot as I was getting out of my vehicle.

I had encountered Garda drivers here at least once before and had never had a problem with them, so I continued on. The driver had seen me as he pulled in anyway, so it would have looked suspicious for me to suddenly do an about-face and head back the way I had come.

I walked past them and into the store, making sure to cross the front of the vehicle so they would not think I was slipping up behind them. Said hello to the door greeter as is my habit, and proceeded to start picking out some sweet potatoes that were on sale ($0.68 a pound. Not as cheap as they were a couple of weeks ago, but still pretty good).

I had been at this no more than a few seconds when I noticed movement and looked behind me. One of the Garda men was fast approaching. Oh, boy, I thought. Here we go.

And here it went:

Garda Employee (Hereby referred to as g-Man, since he was acting like he was a capitalized G-Man): You can't carry like that here.

Me: Actually, sir, in Pennsylvania I can -

g-Man (Interrupting): NO, you CAN'T. Outside in the parking lot you can, but you can't in this store!

Me: Sir, I assure you that what I am doing is legal-

g-Man (Interrupting again): You need to conceal that. You need a permit.

Me: Not in Pennsylvania. It does not need to be concealed.

g-Man: I'm an armored car driver. We have to check places out, and see what's going on. And what you're doing is not legal in this store.

Me: I've carried like this in this Wal-Mart dozens of times. It is perfectly legal.

g-Man: We'll see about that.

He then stomped off back towards his vehicle. By this point his belligerent attitude (From the get go, no less!) had me livid. He had no authority to keep me there, so I finished picking my sweet potatoes and moved on to the rest of my shopping. At no time was a manager called over to me, and at no point did any employees approach me about the firearm strapped to my hip. Everyone else was as pleasant as could be.

I half expected to see some police officers milling about at the front when I finished with the rest of my shopping, but did not see anyone nor did I see the armored car as I approached the checkout. He must have finally decided he needed to do his job instead of attempting to push me around, collected his money, and went on his way.

So far, it's two times I've been harassed in a Wal-Mart, and both times it was not by a Wal-Mart employee. Well, at least the trend continues.
    One thing's for sure: not being the property owner or an agent/manager of said property means he had NO authority to make good on any of the inaccurate statements he made.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Delaware County)

Let me call over to Guarda Corporate and see what they have to say about this.

ETA: I left a message with the Cash Vault Manager in Philadelphia, asking her to call me back to clarify how their armored truck drivers are trained to handle talking to people who are legally and openly armed for their own protection. Will update when I hear back.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; December 14th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

You sir are a patient man. I would have told him to go fuck himself with a collapsible baton.

(Delaware County)

Viper's on it but I would also certainly file a complaint.
    Also tell the store owner/manager about being harrassed by the Garda employee that services his store.

My response to him?

"Sir, if you REALLY think I'm breaking a law... I encourage you to call 911. Otherwise, I assure you I will call and report you for harassment. Have a good day"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Let me call over to Guarda Corporate and see what they have to say about this.
    Thanks, Viper. I'd appreciate it, and I'd be interested in hearing what they had to say.

The whole encounter was just strange. I can understand if they felt they needed to keep a wary eye on me as I entered the store, and then keep looking over my way whilst they were getting their money, but it seemed like he wanted to lock horns with me.

I don't get people sometimes, but I guess it's because I'm not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLom View Post
    You sir are a patient man. I would have told him to go fuck himself with a collapsible baton.
    my reply would have been who the fuck are you some pissant in a costume protecting a truckful of worthless paper?

(Dauphin County)

I would be on the phone with Garda . Even though Viper has called them they probably wont give two shits about his questions because the issue did not take place with him. I would also send an email about it aswell sort of a follow up to the phone call, paper trails are always nice

Just my two cents

(Northampton County)

That Garda truck probably came from the Reading branch. Christmas time is very busy for the armored trucks, a lot of extra cash and extra stops. No excuse for his actions but it is a bad time of the year for them.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Viper's on it but I would also certainly file a complaint.
    Also tell the store owner/manager about being harrassed by the Garda employee that services his store.

My response to him?

"Sir, if you REALLY think I'm breaking a law... I encourage you to call 911. Otherwise, I assure you I will call and report you for harassment. Have a good day"
    You're nicer than I am.

I had a WalMart employee at the ammo counter start an argument with me about how it's illegal for him to sell ammo to anyone without checking their ID. He swore up and down that I could be arrested for trying to buy ammo and refusing to show him my ID to prove my age. Obviously, it IS illegal for anyone to sell ammo to anyone under 21, but the way he was talking, he made it sound like the burden was on me to prove that I was of legal age.

The tail end of the conversation went like this:

"You have to show me your ID or you could be arrested!"
    "Oh really?"
    "Yes, that's the law!"
    "Oh, are you a lawyer?"
    "No, but -"
    "Then I suggest you stop talking."

It was at this point that he started to pull the old man card, pointing to his hearing aid and telling me how old he is and therefore knows everything about everything, but since the ammo purchase had already completed, I just walked away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast