Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Firearm paper

(Westmoreland County)

Default Firearm paper

Hey guys here is a topic i need a little help with. I am writing a research paper on the value of firearms in the US today i was wondering if anyone can tell me were to find some statistics on the number of people who shoot recreationally. or some good sights on the numbers of people who "collect firearms" allow me to explain the paper a little bit it is basically discussing how first off people use firearms as tools. that one is easy i talk about personal and family protection and hunting the second is talking about firearms as recreation with people who shoot for fun also pretty easy to get stats and research on the third is the hardest that is how people learn from guns and have them passed down and stuff like that so any help would be perfect thanks in advance for your input!

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Firearm paper

as far as have guns passed on to me i have a m1 carbin rifle that was given to me by my grandfather and i learned a lot about what he did in the millatary and how he was able to get this gun home with him if ther is any thing eles i can do to help fell free to send me pm matt

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Firearm paper

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff4570 View Post
    Hey guys here is a topic i need a little help with. I am writing a research paper on the value of firearms in the US today i was wondering if anyone can tell me were to find some statistics on the number of people who shoot recreationally. or some good sights on the numbers of people who "collect firearms" allow me to explain the paper a little bit it is basically discussing how first off people use firearms as tools. that one is easy i talk about personal and family protection and hunting the second is talking about firearms as recreation with people who shoot for fun also pretty easy to get stats and research on the third is the hardest that is how people learn from guns and have them passed down and stuff like that so any help would be perfect thanks in advance for your input!
    Personal ancedotes, I'm assuming. Here's mine:

I grew up with firearms, my father is an avid hunter. I have become one, also. Things changed drastically for me when I went to Iraq. I became exceptionally interested in how the different firearms I was using actually operated. The operation of things like pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles is relatively boring when compared to an M249 SAW or the M2 Browning. The M2 is absolutely fascinating from a mechanical standpoint. I also got to work with and learn about Ak-47's, RPD's, RPK's and whole slew of random things like Sterling submachine guns. Part of what I did was help teach the Iraqi Army and Police how to do their jobs effectively. One of my little tricks was to learn everything I could about Russian/Chinese doctrine because obviously the equipment was the same, and the training level and methods were the same. It fit their equipment and organization, and didn't tell those guys exactly how we worked inside. Part of that was learning the history of the development of the weapon systems at hand. How each country's weaponary fit not only their military doctrine, but their manufacturing practices was likewise fascinating to me.

I'll admit that part of why I originally joined the National Guard was for the college benefits, and that's a story unto itself. We're sticking to what firearms have taught me, right?

So, I'm an idealist. We can debate the politics of the whole war till the sun comes up, but in my mind I could go there and do something for the specific individuals that I ran into and perhaps plant some sort of seed that would bloom into a tree of individual liberty. There were people that came here and helped our nation do what we did a couple hundred years ago, and I volunteered for the mission to pass the favor along. I also joked that we were going to Iraq to help them build a democratic nation based on the ideal of individual liberty, and when asked why I came back despite my obvious enthusiasm for the mission my joke became that it was to help America build a democratic nation based on the ideal of individual liberty. I'm a slightly sarcastic person.

Where's the lesson in this? I joined the National Guard for individual gain, and learned that my gain was in having a free country to live in. I didn't want to leave that organization without turning my civilian life into something towards the same end: preserving the liberty of our citizens.

I'm currently engaged in the machinist trade, and taking night classes towards a mechanical engineering degree. I want to be involved in creating the arms with which a free citizenary defends their liberty. The ultimate hope is to create arms which will be useful to both citizen and soldier. In a dream world, I want to be the next Mikhail Kalashnkov, taking the resources available in our nation and applying them towards the arms that will further our cause, and the cause of our future generations. I also spend my free time assisting others in arming themselves, training them in the use of their arms, and promoting arms ownership amongst all that I encounter.

In summation, my involvement with firearms taught me that free people are armed, and only armed people can hope to be free; that it is not just the soldier who must look towards what they can do for their country, but also each citizen in their daily lives and vocations.

I hope your paper has less run-ons and grammatical errors . You might wanna edit the post to make it more readable.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    I hope your paper has less run-ons and grammatical errors . You might wanna edit the post to make it more readable.
    Nice,
    The OP is new to the site and gets this kind of crap. Way to go.
    Jules

(Lancaster County)

If you are writing a research paper (I am assuming College?) then may I make a suggestion?

Please do not fall into the trap of justifying the owning of firearms based on hunting alone, or even the basis of 'having a pistol on the nightstand" to protect against home intrusion. These arguments, while valid superficially, are NOT the reason behind the second Ammendment. The founding fathers did not add self protection and hunting into the second because those uses were obvious What was equally obvious to them was that a corrupt government could not rule an empowered citizenry that was permitted firearms.

The second ammendment and the rest of the Bill of Rights DO NOT GUARANTEE anything. Your rights are NOT granted from the Bill of Rights, but rather the Bill of Rights ENUMERATES them as being granted from your creator and therefore the Bill of Rights is a RESTRICTION on government. The Bill of Rights is telling the people, the government CAN'T take these things away because NOONE but God has the power to grant them!

This sounds perhaps like sophistry, but really understand this before you undertake any writing assignment that deals with essential freedoms. Many wannabe Liberals and Communists/Fascists love to mis quote the Bill of Rights and pretend it is a "Living Document" subject to wanton change by the the force of Democracy. We do NOT live in a democracy, despite what any fool on TV says. We live in a REPUBLIC where the rights of the individual CANNOT be taken by popular vote..(well, that is the idea, anyway). Consider the term "Tyranny of Democracy" and you get the idea. (I like to

Sorry for the soap box rant. Now, on to your question.

People own guns, as you suggested, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes the reasons are singular, as "I only hunt, and would not protect my life or property with violence" (Look at the Amish for an example) or

"I don't care for hunting, but will preserve life with deadly force if need be"

I think most owners of firearms are cognizant of their value and understand that some firearms appreciate.

I sold off quite a bit of my class 3 collection. It simply became to valuable to keep when I had a mortgage and 2 kids.

There is a real hard-core of collectors out there. I would bet that up to a quarter to a third of firearms are never shot or even lightly handled.

I don't know where you would get actual statistics, but go to any weapons collector forum and you can see some amazing things.

Also, don't forget the higher end double rifles and shotguns as 'objects d'art'

Paying 40k for a fancy engraved double gun is what some pay for a no-name artwork to hang on their wall.

Good luck with your paper!

Also, please don't forget about us...........us meaning women.

There are plenty of women on this forum who i'm sure will give you their prospective on firearm owning.

Women & guns

(Westmoreland County)

Talking Re: Firearm paper

Thank you guys all very much for all your input it is really great. My professor is very happy that i am using personal input for the paper.
    and of course i will always remember the women of the group!

(Lancaster County)

I have quite a few stories, one of them I will link to you here on this site.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...917-story.html

As far as learning from guns? Well, I consider the carry and use of firearms to be a martial art.

It requires learning including knowledge of the law, tactics and repetitive training and discipline. Proper firearm use requires good judgment and the ability to follow rules. Firearms are tools that can kill, and unlike many things in this nanny-ridden society, are an exception to the dumbing down trend so prevalent in many sports and pursuits. A firearm does not reward idiocy, in other words.

People shooting in competitions show exceptional hand-eye coordination, not to mention that most shooting competitors are fairly athletic.

(Venango County)

My father took me fishing but never hunting. I do not hunt as a result. Never learned that part of gun ownership.

My father and grandfather owned firearms but I never fired them much.

I received one gifted firearm from my father. The rest I received when he died. I have actually only purchased two firearms. A mouse gun (in Pa.) and my AR-15 (in Kalifornia, no less).

When I was 18, I decided that I should serve my country whilst I was young and still in shape. So I did a four-year stint active with two in reserves. I learned a lot about tactics, shooting and first-aid etc.

From there, I decided to get a LTCF to further my service to my community and my family. Supporting the 2A was important.

You could say I am a sport shooter but time and sometimes money constraints mean I do not get out to shoot as much as I would like.

I just got some acreage so I hope to shoot more pistols this year in my backyard. I need to maintain minimum shooting standards because of the LTCF.

That is pretty much my gun life, other than I am slowly teaching / familiarizing my children with firearms safety / shooting and the importance of 2A and self defense as part of the American theme of self-reliance.