Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough year

(Bedford County)

Default Rough year

Deer population sems way down in WMU-2C. I think I hunted more, seeing less deer than ever in my 35 years in this area.

Alot of others are telling me the same thing around Dunnings Creek and Pleasantville Mountain north of rt 56. Heard very little shooting, even during the second "Brown Deer" week.
    Fudd

Default Re: Rough year

Maybe they just aren't moving as much due to the warm weather

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Maybe they just aren't moving as much due to the warm weather
    Possable, but I really don't think that's it. The bottom along Dunnings creek is hunted pretty hard the first week. Back 10 or 12 years ago, it was average to see 20 or 30 the first couple days and on Saturdays, when there are more hunters out. Now you'll be doing good to see 5 or 6.

Same with P-ville Mountain. Not as many up there, but you'd see 10 or12. Used to be plenty of sign, once you got back in away from the traveled roads. I love hunting those hollows, as there isn't as much hunting pressure. But I saw damn few tracks, and no deer.

I know you'll never see it, but I wish they'd go back to a 2 week buck season, and 2 or 3 days of doe afterwards. The pressure from the big money groups (Auto Ins, Forestry, ect..) caused the PGC to cut the herd drastically.

It's no big wonder why license sale are down about 1/2 a million from 15 years ago. Each year I debate getting them myself, but always give in because I love doing it.

Please don't mis-understand me. I love hunting. Even if I don't get a deer, I'm happy seeing them. But it gets pretty old spending 8 or 9 hrs out in the cold or rain if you're not seeing any. It's even harder to get the youngsters enthusiastic about going.
    Fudd

The weather has been so warm the past few years, i kind of lost the hunting urge. But i know how it feels to sit for hours and see nothing. I think all of you're deer are down my way, they're like rats around here. (delco)

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford Fudd View Post
    Possable, but I really don't think that's it. The bottom along Dunnings creek is hunted pretty hard the first week. Back 10 or 12 years ago, it was average to see 20 or 30 the first couple days and on Saturdays, when there are more hunters out. Now you'll be doing good to see 5 or 6.

Same with P-ville Mountain. Not as many up there, but you'd see 10 or12. Used to be plenty of sign, once you got back in away from the traveled roads. I love hunting those hollows, as there isn't as much hunting pressure. But I saw damn few tracks, and no deer.

I know you'll never see it, but I wish they'd go back to a 2 week buck season, and 2 or 3 days of doe afterwards. The pressure from the big money groups (Auto Ins, Forestry, ect..) caused the PGC to cut the herd drastically. It's no big wonder why license sale are down about 1/2 a million from 15 years ago. Each year I debate getting them myself, but always give in because I love doing it.

Please don't mis-understand me. I love hunting. Even if I don't get a deer, I'm happy seeing them. But it gets pretty old spending 8 or 9 hrs out in the cold or rain if you're not seeing any. It's even harder to get the youngsters enthusiastic about going.
    Fudd
    Please provide a link to any testimony at PGC meetings where Insurance industry people asked for any reduction.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Clinton County)

Same thing here in 4D, been like that for years now and every year it gets worse. There was a time you would see dozens on opening day, now you are lucky to even hear a half dozen shots on opening day round here. Coyote populations are up though. I trapped 3 this year within the first five days of setting them. This is only my first year trapping too! Figured on hunting other things now, no sense in wasting my time looking for deer anymore. I'm fed up with it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lawrence County)

The herd is decimated.

Lycanliterallythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    The herd is decimated.

Lycanliterallythrope
    Agreed,hunted all week in 2F about 8 deer seen all week.

We hunt from dawn to dusk,and not right next to the road we get back in.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Bedford County)

I hunted 2C during archery/rifle season & also experienced a similar feeling of less animals out & about. The only legal Buck I saw all season was during archery & I never had a shot on him. Couldn't tell you why, but I echo the same thoughts.

Note: I'm certain people took antlerless on rifle opening day. Don't know when word will finally get out about that, but I know it happened.
    Need Gun. Need Now.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    Please provide a link to any testimony at PGC meetings where Insurance industry people asked for any reduction.
    I doubt anyone could provide such a link. Most of this stuff goes on behind closed doors, although I have seen some articles in the local paper regarding Forestry putting pressure on the PGC.

The proof is in the fact that the deer populatoin has plummeted in this, and evidently quite a few other areas.

I can't prove it, but you doubt that there are no such pressures on the PGC, perhaps i could interest you in purchasing a bridge or two.
    Fudd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast