Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Newbie help please

Brand new member here. Not sure this post is in the right place but figured I would start here. I am about to take possession of my first gun - a rifle. I live in PA and my brother, who lives in NJ, is going to give it to me. I have been searching and reading to find out what they legal process is for me taking possession of the gun and am getting more confused the more I read. Called Clayton's and they said he and I have to bring the gun in and pay about $30 to have the ownership transferred. Emailed Tanners and they replied that nothing needs to be done since it is brother to brother. Have read any number of posts that talk about passing weapons spouse to spouse, father to son, etc.. but not sibling to sibling. It seems clear that if this was all taking place between two PA residents it would be a non-issue but since it is between states it seems to be different, at least from what I am gathering from my searching. Can someone please give me a difinitive answer to this question or steer me to the right place to find it??? Thanks in advance. PS - love the site so far.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Newbie help please

Gun lawyer to the white courtesy phone please.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn B. View Post
    Brand new member here. Not sure this post is in the right place but figured I would start here. I am about to take possession of my first gun - a rifle. I live in PA and my brother, who lives in NJ, is going to give it to me. I have been searching and reading to find out what they legal process is for me taking possession of the gun and am getting more confused the more I read. Called Clayton's and they said he and I have to bring the gun in and pay about $30 to have the ownership transferred. Emailed Tanners and they replied that nothing needs to be done since it is brother to brother. Have read any number of posts that talk about passing weapons spouse to spouse, father to son, etc.. but not sibling to sibling. It seems clear that if this was all taking place between two PA residents it would be a non-issue but since it is between states it seems to be different, at least from what I am gathering from my searching. Can someone please give me a difinitive answer to this question or steer me to the right place to find it??? Thanks in advance. PS - love the site so far.
    Welcome to PAFOA!

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/501...fle-sales.html

(Lawrence County)

Even if your brother was a PA resident sibling to sibling is not one of the exceptions and would still require a transfer.

(Jefferson County)

All interstate transfers must go through a FFL. It doesn't matter if you are family or not. Long guns(rifles/shotguns) can go through a FFL in any state. Handguns must go through a FFL in the receiving party's home state.

The family exemption is for transfers of handguns between spouses, parent/child, and grandparent/grandchild that reside within PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Even if your brother was a PA resident sibling to sibling is not one of the exceptions and would still require a transfer.
    That's the rule for "firearms"(handguns with barrels under 15", SBS's, and SBR's).

He's talking about a rifle - they are unregulated(except to prohibited persons) when it comes to transfers within PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Must go thru an FFL. Got it. Thanks for the help.