Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Why no semi-autos for hunting?

My buddy wants to get me into hunting. I think I'd like to start out with coyote hunting. The only rifle I own (other than a 10/22) s an AR-15, which seems to be very popular in other states for taking out coyotes. From what I've read on the PA Game Commision website, semi-autos are verboten. My question is - why are semi-autos not allowed in PA for hunting? Is there any rational reason?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Why no semi-autos for hunting?

I'm not sure of the rational for banning semi's. Maybe they got a bad rap years ago and stuck.

PA is one of the most backwards states of all when it comes to many things. ...sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes thats a bad thing. For a long time PA was the only pro-gun state in this general area, completely surrounded by anti-gun/CCW states(WV wasn't too anti-ccw). But I'm sure you know about out liquor laws, bass ackwards from nearly all other states.

Manually operated varmint guns can be had really cheap. I use an H&R Ultra Varmint .223Rem heavy barrel that I picked up for less than $240. It shoots 1/2" 100yrd groups all day long. (some NEF/H&R rifles take a lil tweaking)

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirksterg30 View Post
    Is there any rational reason?
    Frankly: No.

Not that I can think of anyways. I suppose the working theory is to supress the possibility of poaching? Wild shots? I dont know, exactly.

Hunters will soon be able to carry semi-auto sidearms for personal protection. Thats a step in the right direction.

(Allegheny County)

i think the rationale is that they (whoever "they" is) are afraid people will replace aiming and skill with "spray and pray".

imho, that would not happen, though. most hunters i know pride themselves on being good shots and able to take their prey with a single, well-placed shot.

i hate that law, too...i would love to be able to hunt with an AR15. it's a very lightweight and accurate gun.

"they" ought to at least allow coyote hunting with AR15s.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

......"they" ought to at least allow coyote hunting with AR15s.

And groundhogs too.. Its not as if anyone eats them.. nasty critters I tell ya... They rank up there along side of the most vile & evil critter of them all - bunny rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i think the rationale is that they (whoever "they" is) are afraid people will replace aiming and skill with "spray and pray".

imho, that would not happen, though. most hunters i know pride themselves on being good shots and able to take their prey with a single, well-placed shot.

One trip to the State Game Lands No. 43 and you may change your mind on that...
    If it could only serve one purpose it would be to keep some of these trigger happy knuckle headed kids from shooting up the woods and everything else in the area.

You know the type, they show up to the range with nickle plated .25s and Tech Nines. Those are the types that would buy an AR and go hunting just to shoot something that's alive, hit it poorly, and shoot 7 or 8 more times to try and bring it down.

What sucks is that I was about to buy a Browning Semi Auto 30-06 in Mi. and passed until I could check the laws, glad I did.

I'd still like to use my M1A for white tail, but that's out too.

I guess I'll just have to get a BLR in .308...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Luzerne County)

Well, the question that needs to be asked is, why? Why should semi-auto's be allowed for hunting?

(Westmoreland County)

It would really take a lot of the sport out of it. Although, on opening day when you hear somebody let off 4 rounds in 5 seconds from their lever action before the sun even comes up you begin to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by mjd932 View Post
    It would really take a lot of the sport out of it. Although, on opening day when you hear somebody let off 4 rounds in 5 seconds from their lever action before the sun even comes up you begin to wonder.
    Makes you want a lever dont it
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    You know the type, they show up to the range with nickle plated .25s and Tech Nines.
    yes, i know the type.

i highly doubt they would be willing to through a hunter safety course and get a license.

also, i should not be punished for their actions.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast