Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why no semi-autos for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    why is it the cops always want people to give justification for...

WHY carry a gun?
    freedom
    WHY own a semiauto assault weapon?
    freedom
    jay, you make a good point. (though my experience is actually that many street level cops support citizens CCW rights...of course, the ones who don't can sometimes have a much greater impact on us even if they are fewer in number.)

but, i just want to come to steve's defense here a little. i've seen enough of his posts to know he definitely does not fit your description in general. steve seems to believe very strongly in our freedom to carry and to own "assault rifles".

we definitely do have a difference of opinion on this issue, and his approach to it does seem backwards to me, but, in general, steve is definitely one of the "good guys".

frankly, steve, i'm still not sure what you have against semis for hunting...maybe just the fact that the PGC currently doesn't allow them. but, i'm not arguing one should break the rules...just that the rules should be changed. just because "that's the way it is" doesn't mean that's the way it should be.

Poultney, VT(school) Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    You know the type, they show up to the range with nickle plated .25s and Tech Nines. Those are the types that would buy an AR and go hunting just to shoot something that's alive, hit it poorly, and shoot 7 or 8 more times to try and bring it down.
    Hey don't put all of us youngins in one group.

(Luzerne County)

The only side I took during this debate was over the use of semi-auto's for hunting.

I own and shoot many semi-auto's (handguns and rifles) and think that anyone that wants to should own as many as they want.

(Montgomery County)

To Steve and the others: I'm not attacking you as LE, I'll make that clear...like i've pointed out before, i got plenty of LE friends, all good guys.

but ooooooooooooohhhhh some of the LE bastards I've met really piss me off

I just think that since other states allow the use of semis, we should have the ability too...theres no harm in it, and 17 other states show its ok.

I'm a responsible hunter, with the exception of varminting, i'm a meat hunter, i'm more likely to shoot a deer in the head with a smaller caliber round...I'm not out for the trophy...

I myself am planning on making a no gas port AR upper for manual use to go hunting with....i have a spare stainless HB I bought that some moron tried putting a sight tower on, and failed horribly, so sleeve the gas block area, chop it to 16", thread and target crown it, free float tube it and good to go.

might even make a carrier that has a rod that goes thru the gas port in the upper so I can cock/reload it from the handguard....sorta HK like.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Luzerne County)

I could be a little paranoid about the use of semi-autos for hunting, but I see too many bad things happening.

Instead of a hunter taking his time making a good shot because if he doesn't, by the time he works the bolt/lever/slide, the animal may be gone.

But with a semi......I could see him popping off rounds because all he has to do is pull the trigger.

I don't forsee the PGC allowing the use of semi-auto's for hunting, but who knows........crossbows seem to be getting a footing in that arena.

Would I use my M1 Garand for hunting if they did allow them? Probably, I mean if they raise the general speed limit to 75mph, doesn't mean I'm going to stick to driving 65mph.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; December 23rd, 2006 at 12:29 AM.

(Montgomery County)

well, they allow spears now....which is a mite too primitive even for me:-)

yeah, I can see that some folks can pop off a few rounds nuts style, the temptation is easy i guess.

then again, hearing a group of 5 or 6 numbnuts blasting like crazy at the one deer that just popped up during a drive is also pretty whacked.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Then why not have a free-for-all, any type of firearm, any type of ammo, etc.

The PGC regulates what types of firearms can and cannot be used. They also restrict certain types of ammo for some seasons and game animals.

So if you argue, "its America"......then logic follows that you think the free-for-all is the way to go.

Hunting and the right to carry arms are two totally different things. While you may own whatever firearms you want, if you want to play the hunting game, then you have to play by the hunting rules.
    I think a free for all is exactly the right instilled by the consititution, there is no compelling reason to ban full auto semi auto carry of any weapon. At least I can't see one.

I think we all here know that we shouldn't murder, rob, rape commit crimes. Why is it a crime to shoot a deer 3 times with 1 or 3 trigger pulls instead of 3 times with one trigger pull and reload each?

(Luzerne County)

The constitution has zero to do with hunting. If the PGC says no more centerfire rifles, guess what? No more centerfire rifles. Doesn't matter what the 2nd Amendment has to say.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirksterg30 View Post
    My question is - why are semi-autos not allowed in PA for hunting? Is there any rational reason?
    ever hunted on state game lands?

i did.........one time, it lasted about half an hour.
    one guy unloaded on something, followed by somebody else unloading on it, 4(four) other guys(total of 6 guns, 30rounds) then went on to empty out on it, in a period of about 45-60 seconds. all the while it was getting closer to me. i'm really glad there was'nt another 1 or 2 people waiting on it.

i like the semi's but the deer(or other) woods is no place for them.
    your well being does not depend on bringing that meat home. if you can't get it done with the first well aimed shot, 4 more quicky fired random shots at a running animal won't either.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The constitution has zero to do with hunting. If the PGC says no more centerfire rifles, guess what? No more centerfire rifles. Doesn't matter what the 2nd Amendment has to say.
    Technically he is right, guys. You can keep and bear arms without the right to hunt.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast