Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Introduction to you all and my Philly LTCF issues

First off: Long time lurker, first time poster. I've found much valuable information from PAFOA and I appreciate everybody's contributions. Your voices mean a lot and you've swayed my thoughts on many things or helped me stand strong on others. So, thank you!

Second: I'm a "Philadelphia" resident. I'm situated nicely withing a couple miles (at best) of the city lines. This, of course, gives me the benefits of paying city taxes, getting city services and dealing with the city rules and regulations - all of which are no fun. I've been a shooter for many years but recently made the plunge into handguns and looking into my LTCF (after prowling around here for months). As it stands I have no criminal background or anything barring me from getting an LTCF. The only issue that stands is well documented on this site which basically is just Philadelphia being Philadelphia and not wanting to issue it to me.

My primary issues are:
    Proof of address - To keep things organized and easy, through various arrangements, my insurance, bank statements, etc. all go to my father's office. I have to update my voter registration so that could be one but I'm having an issue with this.

and

References: I have fellow shooters, personal friends, and family friends who all would attest to my good nature so I'm not worried about that. I've read on here that they DO NOT need to be Philadelphia residents, despite people telling me otherwise, which would be my only cause for concern.

It's a shame that I have to work so hard to ensure I'm protected but a criminal doesn't have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to rob and kill me.

Any thoughts on proof of address? Car stuff is to my dad's office too.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Introduction to you all and my Philly LTCF issues

Welcome!

I'm unaware of the tribulations of proof of address in Philly. In Lehigh I just had to show my id.

What do they require? Is there specificity of what documents constitute proof of address? Sounds like you may have to do a change of address on whatever they require. I suppose you could always change the address back after your license is issued, however I'm unsure if there would be any negative implications of this.

(Delaware County)

Why don't you apply in the county your official address is in? That way you already have proof of address and you get to skip the whole philadelphia part.
    Freedom, Reason, Peace

(Delaware County)

Does your driver's license have your current address on it, or do you have another permanent address? How about a lease with your name on it?

(Venango County)

Are utilities in your name?

That would provide the actual address where the utility was used (gas, water, electric, garbage, phone (landline)) in addition to a billing address which might be different and your name.

That should complete it.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Quote Originally Posted by jmk88 View Post
    Second: I'm a "Philadelphia" resident. I'm situated nicely withing a couple miles (at best) of the city lines. This, of course, gives me the benefits of paying city taxes, getting city services and dealing with the city rules and regulations - all of which are no fun. I've been a shooter for many years but recently made the plunge into handguns and looking into my LTCF (after prowling around here for months). As it stands I have no criminal background or anything barring me from getting an LTCF. The only issue that stands is well documented on this site which basically is just Philadelphia being Philadelphia and not wanting to issue it to me.

My primary issues are:
    Proof of address - To keep things organized and easy, through various arrangements, my insurance, bank statements, etc. all go to my father's office. I have to update my voter registration so that could be one but I'm having an issue with this.
    I fail to see the issue. I live in one town and I have a post office box in a neighboring town. My mail goes to the PO box but my legal residence is where I live.

I don't see why your mailing address for things like bank statements is a factor at all.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I fail to see the issue. I live in one town and I have a post office box in a neighboring town. My mail goes to the PO box but my legal residence is where I live.

I don't see why your mailing address for things like bank statements is a factor at all.
    Philly has odd requirements, I was wondering if they require a utility bill matching the address on your ID.

(Philadelphia County)

CITY OF PHILADELPHIA POLICE DEPARTMENT
    990 Spring Garden Street, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19123
    Phone: (215) 685-3656, 3657 Fax: (215) 685-3673

INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION OF AN APPLICATION FOR A PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARM

Only applicants 21 years of age or older, residing in the county of Philadelphia, may apply for a Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm through the Philadelphia Police Department.

Out of county residents must apply in their county of residence.

Out of state applications will only be considered if the applicant currently has a similar license from their home state.

1. Applications may be picked up at the Gun PermitsUnit,990 Spring Garden Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM. This Unit is Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays, and from December 20th to January 3rd. Only 1 application per person. This Information can also be found at the following website: www.ppdonline.org /hq_gunpermit.php
    (If downloaded from internet applicant must bring all paperwork, including this instruction sheet.)

2. Applicants must have an APPLICATION AND TWO (2) REFERENCE SHEETS FILLED OUT COMPLETELY and APPLICABLE ITEMS LISTED BELOW or they will not be accepted. (Do not use pencil)

3. When completed, the entire application must be returned IN PERSON BY THE APPLICANT to the above location, Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM. (New applications and renewals will only be handled during this time.)

Also needed at this time of RENEWAL OR NEW APPLICATION:

a. One (1) 2” x 2 ” (inch) Passport Type color photo of the applicant’s head and shoulders, (NO SUNGLASSES, HATS, VEILS, BANDANNAS, ETC.).

b. A $20.00 money order (no other amount will be accepted) payable to “City of Philadelphia”. (NO CASH OR CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.)

c. A VALID Pennsylvania Drivers License or Non-Drivers ID, along with two (2) acceptable forms of proof of residence, all addresses must match. NO PO BOXES WILL BE ACCEPTED, (see back of this sheet for examples).

d. ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE FINGERPRINTED.

e. If you were previously a member of the Armed Forces, a copy of your discharge papers (DD-214) must accompany the application.

f. Foreign born applicants who are presently American citizens must bring their naturalization papers, passports are not acceptable

g. Registered aliens must have their current alien registration identification card, i.e., GREEN CARD and last 3 monthly utility bills, i.e., gas bill, PECO bill, water bill, etc. for proof of residency. THESE 3 BILLS MUST BE THE SAME BILL AND IN CONSECUTIVE MONTHLY ORDER OF THE MOST RECENT MONTH.

h. Must show current or expired permits at time of application. Expired permits to carry will be retained by the Gun Permits Unit.

4. NOTE: Failure to provide (2) references (NOT FAMILY MEMBERS), as required on your application, will result in your application being denied, and forfeiture of your application fee. Enclosed are two references information sheets that your references may use for their convenience. References should include name, address, date of birth and PA State ID or drivers license number at the top of the form.

5. If all paperwork is in order, the applicant will then be interviewed by Gun Permits Unit personnel.
    When the interview is completed, a state and local background investigation will be conducted to ascertain if the applicant is acceptable under law, to be issued a “Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm”

6. All applicants will receive written notice by U.S. mail of either approval or disapproval of their application for a Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm. Upon approval the applicant has thirty (30) days to pick-up their License to Carry.

ALL APPLICANTS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT FALSE STATEMENTS (WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN) WILL BE CAUSE FOR DENIAL AND MAY RESULT IN ARREST.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SAME PROCEDURES ARE APPLICABLE FOR RENEWALS.

Below are examples of, but not limited to, acceptable forms for proof of your residency:

• Current Utility Bills: (within the last three months)

o Phone Bill – Home/Cellular
    o Electric Bill
    o Gas Bill
    o Water Bill
    o Cable/Satellite Bill

• Current Credit Card Statements
    • Current Bank/Student Loan Statements
    • Valid Vehicle Registration
    • Valid Vehicle Insurance Card
    • Voters Registration Card
    • JUNK MAIL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchristy View Post

Below are examples of, but not limited to, acceptable forms for proof of your residency:

• Current Utility Bills: (within the last three months)

o Phone Bill – Home/Cellular
    o Electric Bill
    o Gas Bill
    o Water Bill
    o Cable/Satellite Bill

• Current Credit Card Statements
    • Current Bank/Student Loan Statements
    • Valid Vehicle Registration
    • Valid Vehicle Insurance Card
    • Voters Registration Card
    • JUNK MAIL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE
    I've read over this and this is where the issue is. While I try not to be bothered by it, financial issues (yaaaay...) have had me go back in with my mom. Where I was living out of college was still in Philly so I would have had the same issue with roommates getting certain bills and the house getting the rent check. But as it stands: All utilities, cable, etc. are in my mom's name especially since I had moved out previously. All credit statements, vehicle stuff, and other bills go to my dad's office/my temporary office where they're stored anyway for ease and especially since I moved around through, and after, college. So I guess I was wondering any alternatives, save for my Voter Registration which is hopefully in the mail since I changed it. My official residence is IN Philadelphia but none of my important mail goes there. Strange situation, I know. It's just an additional hoop to jump through. It seems it would be easier to move to my dad's house in Montgomery County and get one than just go through Philly being crazy.

c. A VALID Pennsylvania Drivers License or Non-Drivers ID, along with two (2) acceptable forms of proof of residence, all addresses must match. NO PO BOXES WILL BE ACCEPTED, (see back of this sheet for examples).

As long as you can come up with two forms of acceptable ID with matching addresses, the others don't matter.

As others have mentioned, you're better off trying to prove your residency someplace else, so you don't have to deal with Philadelphia's ridiculous dog and pony show (although all counties use the same illegal application form, so you can't win anywhere without bending over). I just open carry and to hell with the *permit*.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast