Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default "put him in the scope"

A fellow camp member was hunting deer at our cabin with two guests. On the way home guest # 1 remarked that he saw guest # 2 while in the woods and “put him in the scope” to see what he was doing.

The camp member proceeded to administer a severe ass reaming to guest # 1 for his incredible lack of common sense and flagrant violation of Rule # 2.

When I heard the story, I agreed that the admonishment was well deserved. I said that I had read somewhere that doing this would actually constitute the commission of a felony (assault?) that would preclude the right of firearm ownership.

Although, I am sure it would be a very rare case that someone would/could actually be caught and prosecuted.

I would be grateful if Gunlawyer001, or another one of our members of the bar, could confirm that I am correct on this or full of BS as the case may be.

I debated about placing this under Law and Politics, but I think it is more appropriate to place it under Hunting.
    Last edited by padowser; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Archie Gates: No unnecessary shots, Conrad, 'cause we know what they do.
    Conrad Vig: Make infected pockets full of bile, sir.
    Archie Gates: That's right, Conrad, that's what they do.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: "put him in the scope"

I don't hunt but I swear that's what binoculars are for.

(Lehigh County)

He needs the beat down.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Crawford County)

Hey....hey...whatta ya doin' all the way over there? I know...I'll point a loaded weapon at ya (I'm presuming...don't know many hunters who go out with empty chambers) so's I kin spy on ya with my scope!

Wait, that's considered dangerous? Well, I'll be! Who woulda thunk it?

I hope every one can see the humor of this post...as well as the point.

(Luzerne County)

Scary as it sounds, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that this happens quite a lot on state game lands.

A criminal charge of reckless endangerment could be lodged in PA. However, in some states perhaps not.

When I was a cop in rural county in Georgia, Homeowner shot at and tried to kill tresspasser who was 300 plus yards away. I heard the gun shots and rolled in to check it out.

Home owner told me he saw a black man on his farm so he tried to kill him for tresspassing. I called my Sergeant who ended up sitting down and shooting the breeze with the homeowner and I never heard another peep about the incident.

The interesting part, the county line ran through this man's farm and he fired his rifle in county A and if he would have killed the tresspasser, he would have died in County B.

Be careful out there, People have high powered rifles, half of them are morons and the other half is drunk or recovering.

CL

Probably "reckless endangerment", as noted.

Assault requires either injury, or awareness of the threat, so scoping someone at a distance with a loaded rifle is neither, unless you hurt them or they see you:

(1) attempts to cause or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another;

(2) negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon;

(3) attempts by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury
    . . . . . .

Sounds like this was just creating a stupid risk, which is more reckless endangerment:
    A person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if he recklessly engages in conduct which places or may place another person in danger of death or serious bodily injury.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Probably "reckless endangerment", as noted.

Assault requires either injury, or awareness of the threat, so scoping someone at a distance with a loaded rifle is neither, unless you hurt them or they see you:

(1) attempts to cause or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another;

(2) negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon;

(3) attempts by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury
    . . . . . .

Sounds like this was just creating a stupid risk, which is more reckless endangerment:
    A person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if he recklessly engages in conduct which places or may place another person in danger of death or serious bodily injury.
    I KNEW IT!! Stupidity is, in fact, a crime! I must go, my people need me! Anti-idiot man, AWAY!!

(Lehigh County)

Sounds like a felony to me.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Chester County)

This guy is a jackass. That's what binoculars are for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast