Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pmsc

(Allegheny County)

Default Pmsc

I am interested in joining the club this Wednesday during the meeting. I know I need a sponsor to sign off for me and wanted to ask if anyone would be willing to meet me out there and be my sponsor.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pmsc

Was there the 1st wed of november without a sponsor. The guy who was collecting the $175 from all new members coming in to get a sponsor out in the hall to sign them in. There was like 100 people in the hall. I didnt become a member.

(Allegheny County)

Best thing to do is come out to one of our "open to the public" events and shoot and meet/talk to some members. Then simply ask one of the members to sponsor you. We have Trap practice every Saturday at 10AM (open to the public). We also have a CMP rifle shoot the first Sunday at 9AM of every month (open to the public).

PMSC Events Calendar:
    http://www.pmsconline.com/pmsc/?q=calendar
    Toujours prêt

FYI, next membership meeting at PMSC is the 12th Dec, not the usual 1st Weds of each month.

(Westmoreland County)

Hawk is right. If you have the time....and now with darkness setting in at 5:30 it gets tough during the week, but on a Saturday the trap practice is at 10:00 and the first Sunday of every month is an open to the public CMP shoot....just come to one of those events and chat with a member and ask questions.

Now, realize that these guys come to shoot, so you may have to wait between their shoots to get some answers, but these guys are pretty friendly and will try to answer any question that you have.

I've been a member there for about 3 years and it's one of the better Clubs in the area. They have several well run shooting programs of just about any type you would want. Rifle, handgun, shotgun, Trap, Skeet, Archery, and people willing to help you as much as you want.

Once you get beyond the $100 initiation fee, the $10 gate card fee (both one time up-front cost) then then annual membership fee is really small compared to what you have access to. The indoor range (yes, member only and a user fee of $3 every time you shoot....but OTOH those darn lead filters and the winter heaters are not cheap to replace\run) is a bargain!!!

I like the Club and the people. Treat the property like it's yours because it is yours. Yes there are rules...but they are all there for the safety of all concerned.

It's a great Club. Come down and look around. It's a gem on Rt. 48.

Dave

(Allegheny County)

I plan on attending the membership meeting tomorrow. If I can get out of work in time.

(Allegheny County)

I was also thinking about joining as a Christmas gift to myself. It sounds like there were a lot of new members last month. Is that a typical amount of new members for a month? Does this mean that the club is overcrowded? If I join I want to become an active member - volunteer for work that needs to be done and use the facilities a lot since I only live a few minutes away. Will I be able to use the club effectively? I sit in enough traffic going through the tunnels everyday. BTW, Sorry to hijack your thread.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsofboo View Post
    I was also thinking about joining as a Christmas gift to myself. It sounds like there were a lot of new members last month. Is that a typical amount of new members for a month? Does this mean that the club is overcrowded? If I join I want to become an active member - volunteer for work that needs to be done and use the facilities a lot since I only live a few minutes away. Will I be able to use the club effectively? I sit in enough traffic going through the tunnels everyday. BTW, Sorry to hijack your thread.
    When I joined last year, there were boatloads of other people joining too, so that's typical.

I have to drive a good distance to get there, but the ranges have never been so crowded that I couldn't do what I came for on a particular day. It seems strange that a club with so many members doesn't feel more crowded. It's probably another case of the 80/20 rule - 80% of the shooting is done by 20% of the members.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsofboo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    When I joined last year, there were boatloads of other people joining too, so that's typical.

I have to drive a good distance to get there, but the ranges have never been so crowded that I couldn't do what I came for on a particular day. It seems strange that a club with so many members doesn't feel more crowded. It's probably another case of the 80/20 rule - 80% of the shooting is done by 20% of the members.
    I've been a PMSC member for 6 years. Membership has tripled in that time. I'm there every Sat and/or Sun mornings (year round) and it's still like a ghost town. The only range that you may run into a crowd is at the indoor pistol range, on the week ends, in the colder month's.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for your responses. I think I am gonna pull the trigger soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast