Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: How did they pass NICS and not PICS

Don't get me wrong here, guys. I'm not making excuses for PSP and I hate the way these often non-violent minor crimes are used to deny a good person the right to own firearms.

My point is simply that this guy is either prohibited by federal law or he is not. He needs to find out. Especially if he is in posession of firearms . It sounds like PSP says he is. As far as they are concerned the case is closed. In my opinion, he needs to get with a gun oriented lawyer for a consultation to determine where he stands. It will cost what it will cost but I can assure you if he is arrested and prosecuted the cost will be much greater.

(Philadelphia County)

All this guy needs to do is go on the PSP website and order up a copy of his criminal record for $10. It will state the exact crime and type of misdemeanor. You then go to the PA Uniform Firearms Act online and see if it is a deniable offense to purchase a firearm. If it is prohibited by the PA UFA then it is pretty much certain it is probibited on a federal level and it is time for him to get rid of his firearms.

This is where I would start, and if there is then confusion I'd get a lawyer. In the meantime, the safest way to go would be to transfer ownership of his firearms to a friend or relative and not carry or shoot since PICS is indicating his is prohibited from owning firearms.

Bug is right in that if he is prohibited and he is pulled over for speeding or something and a firearm is found then he is looking at a felony and probable jail time. Even if PICS is wrong, the police will still arrest him and it will be a huge hassle with bail and more legal bills than need be.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tmg19103 View Post
    All this guy needs to do is go on the PSP website and order up a copy of his criminal record for $10. It will state the exact crime and type of misdemeanor. You then go to the PA Uniform Firearms Act online and see if it is a deniable offense to purchase a firearm. If it is prohibited by the PA UFA then it is pretty much certain it is probibited on a federal level and it is time for him to get rid of his firearms.

This is where I would start, and if there is then confusion I'd get a lawyer. In the meantime, the safest way to go would be to transfer ownership of his firearms to a friend or relative and not carry or shoot since PICS is indicating his is prohibited from owning firearms.

Bug is right in that if he is prohibited and he is pulled over for speeding or something and a firearm is found then he is looking at a felony and probable jail time. Even if PICS is wrong, the police will still arrest him and it will be a huge hassle with bail and more legal bills than need be.
    Nice find....I didn't know about that, I shot it over to em in an email.......

(Centre County)

I have no idea about this but I thought I would throw this out there.

What if he had his offense "exsponged" (spelling??), otherwise removed from his record. From what I understand that kind of information is still out there, but should not or can not be used against you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234