Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default I took my son shooting for his first time.

As many of you saw in another thread, I just recently purchase a Ruger 10/22, and started buying accessories here and there for it. I figured, why not christen it by letting my oldest boy (Jordan, 11yo) put her through the paces.

He and I have shot pellet/BB rifles in the back yard a few times, and he's got the basic safety rules down pat, so I figured it was time to set him up with a real gun. he's never really shown a HUGE interest in shooting anything more than the BB gun, so I never pushed the issue.

Yesterday, I called up to his room and asked if he wanted to go for a ride. At first he sorta gave me the "meh, I don't want to, cuz I'm playing a video game" attitude, but when I mentioned I was going to go site in the scope I had just put on the .22 he shut the game off and came with me.

The target was placed at ~25y or so and I took around 8 shots to get the scope on target. He took the rest of the shots that day. Over all he shot about 70rds of .22 and 1rd of 9mm from my Glock 23 (I have a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel, before I get called out on the Glock 23 being a .40S&W, lol).

He decided he doesn't like 9mm pistol yet. It either kicks a little too much for him or the grip was a little too wide, but he didn't care for the Glock. He said it was hard to hang onto. I guess that means I've got two options... get a .22 pistol or just let him grow into the 9mm. And you know I've already been looking for a .22, so I may have to bump up my search, you know, for the boys to learn on... (I dunno if that'll justify it with my wife, but I'll try. lol)

As for hte rifle, I mentioned he was holding the gun funny, and he needed to rest his cheek on the stock. He said he couldn't shoot the 10/22 with his head on the stock cuz the muffs I had would rest on the stock and he said that was uncomfortable; hence his funny posture in the pic below. So we're going next weekend to fit him for some good muffs that don't interfere with holding the gun properly.

I was so excited he was coming with me, I forgot my camera, so these couple crappy cellphone pics will have to do.

And here's his target. The lower 7-8 shots were mine, trying to get the scope on. And pay no mind to the random 40/9mm holes, I was shooting off hand @ 25y with my pistol. (I think I need more practice than my son does, lol)
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: I took my son shooting for his first time.

good job. ..............
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

That's great. I'll echo the good job.

Hey, by the way, a Glock23 is a .40 ya know .

Mine is also a .357sig and a .22lr. I just shot the AA .22 conversion at the PMSC group shoot last weekend(as did a few others).

I had kicked around doing the 9mm conversion as well.

Keep him shooting but at his pace. Sometimes pop cans filled with water give instant gratification to new shooters and will be more interesting than just punching paper. When my kiddos were younger, they really liked doing this.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    ..... I guess that means I've got two options... get a .22 pistol or just let him grow into the 9mm. And you know I've already been looking for a .22, so I may have to bump up my search, you know, for the boys to learn on... (I dunno if that'll justify it with my wife, but I'll try. lol)
    Bravo on taking him to shoot, we need to keep the youngsters informed and interested in shooting, they'll be the ones who'll need to keep the second amendment alive in the future.

As for the statement I highlighted above, I say do both. First time I took my wife shooting she tried my Kahr CW9 and really didn't like the "kick" and handed it back to me. The next time I took her a fellow had a Ruger Mark II 22/45 and offered to let her shoot it. Gave her the gun and a box of ammo and she was hooked.

She bought her own 22/45 and shoots with me on a regular basis. Each time I offer to let her shoot my 9mm and my .357 (with 38 special in it, less kick) and normally she declines. A few weeks ago she was interested in the .357 with the .38 special in it. Loved it. (she even took a few shots with .357 in the gun)

Last week she spent some time with my 9mm. Now she wants to buy a Bersa .380.

It's been almost a year in the making but she has been moving up to the larger calibers and shes really enjoying it.

It takes time, start them out small and let them see you having a good time with the larger guns, their curiosity will get them to try the next size up.

It's been cool watching her interest grow, and she's a damn good shot too.

Be well,
    Bill

(Warren County)

sober, I'm disapointed, there was no half naked women in your post, or no silly pics of a squirrel eating a baby or anything... lol

Thanks for sharing your words of encouragement. I'm also trying to get my wife to go at least shot a few times, or learn how to clear any of my guns, should my children somehow penetrate my defenses and get ahold of a gun they shouldn't have, so she can at least clear and safe the weapon should I not be around.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Allegheny County)

I was so excited he was coming with me, I forgot my camera, so these couple crappy cellphone pics will have to do.

Don't apologize.
    The quality of the photo isn't important. The content IS.
    That's an absolutely AWESOME snapshot that he will be glad to have one day. Make copies.

Congrats. I know you're proud.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

sober, I'm disapointed, there was no half naked women in your post, or no silly pics of a squirrel eating a baby or anything... lol

I know you were only being funny, but it's not my only contribution to this site, research my posts, I think I offer something besides photo's of half naked women, they're just the most noticeable and apparently the most enjoyable. /rant

I agree that you should at least show your wife how to safely unload a weapon, hopefully she want to know more, take her to the range. When mine saw other women there it loosened her up a bit.

Bill

. .

(Berks County)

sinful,

Nice work. Not sure of my son is ready yet (and I know my wife thinks he isn't), but I can't wait to take him on his first trip.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Good job!! We've gotta get more kids and women into the sport. My wife loves shooting, but I think she sometimes feel's lonely. They'll tell you what they enjoy. Don't push what they don't, and eagerly provide what they do. Keep it fun.

Looks like your boy has learned well from the air rifle!
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lancaster County)

Funny I come across this today. My 12 year old daughter and I went out back yesterday and did some hole punching for the first time. She started off with the Walther P22. She must have put 300 rds through it. Next I handed her my sc 9mm. She shot 1 mag and that was enough... Said do you want to shoot the Ar and her eyes got REAL big. She didn't hesitate at all. Bonehead me didn't think of taking a camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast