Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Buckmark URX 5.5 versus Camper Stainless

I'm going to pick up a Buckmark 22 next week (or order if not available) but there are so many models that I'm paralyzed. I think I've narrowed it to the URX 5.5 and the Camper stainless with fiber optic. I'm tossing this out there to see if anyone that knows this platform intimately can help me make the decision between the two. No competition - just casual target shooting for fun - but I want to make the best choice for my money.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Buckmark URX 5.5 versus Camper Stainless

I have the stainless Camper and really like it. Front sight really looks great! No experience with the URX, Mike.
    The liberals won't be happy until they control you.

(Lehigh County)

I have one of the URX Contour 5.5" guns and like it just fine.

All of the Buckmarks are essentially the same gun under the skin. The biggest difference is the contour of the barrel the sights.

If I were going to be small game hunting I think I would take one of the fiber optic sighted models. For punching paper or target shooting, the URX models are nice (good sight picture) and if you decide to pop a scope or red dot on top, you have an integrated sight rail installed.

The long and short of it....pick the one that is visually appealing to you and go for it.

(Bucks County)

Thanks. I take it that it will be much harder for me to locate a contour than a camper ss so I'll probably just go with the camper.

Now, the one question I do have is does the camper ss come with a rail for the optic because I will most certainly be buying an optic for it. If I have to spend another $75 to get the rail from tactical solutions that's integral so you can pop off the optic and use the open sights, then the value starts to diminish and at that point I guess I would be better off paying more for the contour.

Does anyone know if the camper comes with a rail in the box and if so do the open sights work with it or do you lose the open sights when adding the rail?

(Beaver County)

I have an older model camper that did not come with a rail. When using the Browning rail for optics you lose the rear sight. I don't know if new ones come with the rail but I would doubt it. I was able to pick up the rail add on in my LGS for a few bucks because the TacSol was never in stock that I had seen. I also run the Browning optic on mine and it works great along with a TacSol barrel and SWR Warlock suppresor.

If your that concerened about a rail with sights the Buckmark Hunter seems to be the way to go already set up from Browning.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=051&tid=403
    Last edited by DucatiRon; December 1st, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Since they are both great guns, I own a URX and a Hunter, it comes down to personal preference. If your planning on adding a red dot or reflective sight to it, I'd suggest the URX since it already has the rail attached.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Bucks County)

I just called Tanners and Target World - neither of them can get the contour or the hunter through their distributors - I do like that hunter though - figured that would be easier to source than the contour. Impact doesn't have them in stock either. So I might just have to take the camper at Tanners and figure out what to do with the optics and sights later.

I do like those Williams Fire Sights. I may just put those on a regular black camper and call it a day instead of doing the optic-on-rail. Question though - the Williams site lists these two models for the Buckmark - how would you know which one to use on which model Buckmark? I'm guessing Browning put two different rear sights on these things?

The two models on Williams website are:
    #70231 for Rear sight length over 1" long.
    #70232 for Rear sight length under 1" long.

(Montgomery County)

If your up for a drive, French Creek outfitters always a few Buckmarks in their cabinets. Not sure about the rear sights though. I thought they were same sights on all the models.
    Last edited by DaveIam; December 1st, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.