Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default age to buy clips

i dont have a handgun yet, becuz im 19, i tried buying ammo for my friends gun once and they said its illegal under 21. would i be able to buy clips becuz i wanna buy them before they ban them.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: age to buy clips

As far as I know, the federal law only says about handgun ammo and handguns, not anything about handgun accessories, which is what magazines qualify as.

That being said, some companies like cheaper than dirt, have stupid arbitrary rules that say they won't sell certain items to people under 18 or 21.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    i dont have a handgun yet, becuz im 19, i tried buying ammo for my friends gun once and they said its illegal under 21. would i be able to buy clips becuz i wanna buy them before they ban them.
    "Magazines" not "clips." (Sorry, someone had to say it).

Yes, I think it's smart to stock up now. I believe you can buy magazines at any age. No online vendor age-checks. Of course, first you have to decide what gun to stock up for.

Question Re: age to buy clips

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

Yes, I think it's smart to stock up now. I believe you can buy magazines at any age. No online vendor age-checks. Of course, first you have to decide what gun to stock up for.
    I must have missed something on this subject. Why is it wise to stock-up on magazines? Could someone explain what bann is expected? Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by noshow View Post
    I must have missed something on this subject. Why is it wise to stock-up on magazines? Could someone explain what bann is expected? Thanks!
    Democrats are the party of federal gun control. They now control Congress. For the next two years, I predict they will consolidate power and not waste political capital on (to them) non-essential issues.

If a Dem is elected POTUS in 2008, then they control Congress and the Presidency. Then they will press for gun control, similar or worse than the 1994 AWB.

Is it certain? No, nothing is certain. Yet the only prudent thing -- having already been burned in the 1994 - 2004 decade -- is to prepare for it. Clearly, preparing for something that a) we KNOW the Dems want and b) which has already happened before is the smart move.

In case there's another ban on magazines with greater than 10 round capacity.

Den9, make sure that you are dead set on a pistol before you start buying up mags, wouldn't want to to spend X amount on mags that your not going to need.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    In case there's another ban on magazines with greater than 10 round capacity.

Den9, make sure that you are dead set on a pistol before you start buying up mags, wouldn't want to to spend X amount on mags that your not going to need.
    The flip side is that it could be considered an investment, the way having pre-ban hicaps was an investment in the late 90s.

Even if no ban, you can sell NIW mags for not too much of a loss.

But yes -- now is a good time to start deciding on what handgun you want, regardless.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post

As noted by others, above, yes, you can buy magazines for whatever handgun you want before you are 21.

You should further note the following:

1) To my knowledge, it is not illegal (under Federal law) for you (as you are over 18) to purchase ammunition for a handgun from anyone who is not "licensed importer, dealer, manufacturer or collector"; (18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5))

2) Technically, there is no such thing as "handgun" ammunition. Many long guns are made that fire 9mm, .38, .357, .40, .45 etc. It is not illegal for you to purchase ammunition for a long gun. Thus, if you are purchasing ammunition that may be used in both a long gun or a handgun, so long as you intend to use it in a long gun, you are not breaking the law when you purchase it from a "licensed importer, dealer, manufacturer or collector" (and they aren't breaking the law by selling it) (18 U.S.C. §922(b)(1) et seq.). 95% of gun shops know this; and

3) Stop buying your ammo at Wal-Mart -- they don't know anything about firearms laws.

The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

dgg9, you beat me to it. First thing I thought when I read the post too

For all those interested, the differences between a magazine, clip, and a charger (also called a stripper-clip):

http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

+1 Amen
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast