Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default LSHD Transitional Carbine (Two Day)

LSHD Transitional Carbine (Two Day)

Dates and Times:

March 16th, 1300 to 2100
    March 17th, 0900 to 1700

Transitional Carbine is designed to mentally take shooters off the range and set them against the backdrop of the everyday world. This is accomplished by instilling a shift in mindset: that you are at all times preparing yourself to prevail against a potentially lethal threat that you cannot safely retreat from. Techniques covered include malfunction clearance, "natural" movement and the applicability of shooting-on-the-move (SOTM), weak side shooting and manipulations, introduction to the use of cover, and transitions to sidearms (and the applicability of this technique). There is an introduction to low light shooting and illumination techniques the evening of Day One.

Heavy emphasis is placed on operating the carbine as a home defense weapon, where the carbine operator may have absolutely minimal gear and essentially only what is "strapped to the gun". Throughout the course, ammunition management is emphasized, as is scanning and assessing for potential threats and status checking carbines before they are slung on safe. Video is used as a diagnostic tool, and competitive drills are designed to push shooters out of their comfort zones. A lawyer (also a trained shooter) will discuss certain legalities of NFA weapons and home defense for Pennsylvania. In addition to a certificate of completion, a "range plan" is also provided to sustain and improve skills learned. The normal maximum class size for this course is eight shooters.

Prerequisites:

Successful completion of LSHD Fundamental Carbine *AND* Fundamental Pistol Phase 2 (or equivalent as determined case-by-case).

Should be able to present from low ready and place 10 rounds into a 6" circle at 20 yards in a time not to exceed 20 seconds.

Should be able to present from low ready and place five rounds into a 6" circle, perform an emergency reload, and place two additional rounds into a 3.5" square from seven yards in a time not to exceed 12 seconds.

Class requirements:

eye protection & electronic ear protection (SureFire Sonic Defender or similar style earpro is fine)

minimum one carbine magazine pouch

minimum of three 30 round or five 20 round carbine magazines

1000 rounds of carbine ammo – preferably factory (no reloads)

carbine with confirmed zero – typical calibers are 30 cal, 5.56x45mm, 7.62 x 39mm, 5.45x39mm

weapon mounted light attached to carbine

sling which allows your carbine to hang in a vertical orientation (muzzle pointing down)

handgun of at least 9x19mm caliber

holster that allows holstering with only the firing hand - BLACKHAWK! SERPA holsters are not recommended
    50 rounds of handgun ammo – preferably factory (no reloads)

hand held flashlight appropriate for concealed carry suitable range wear depending on the season

(Beaver County)

Default Re: LSHD Transitional Carbine (Two Day)

Bump to the top.

(Beaver County)

March will be here before ya know it.

(Allegheny County)

See my comments about Jay's pistol class.

They apply here as well.

(Beaver County)

As you are no doubt aware, many trainers in the industry are responding to the current situation by cutting round counts for their classes.

After thorough review and discussion, LSHD has come to the conclusion that lowering the round count in any of our carefully designed courses would deprive YOU of training value.

We have already put in the effort on the front end to ensure our course development has minimized the round count and maximized the value for our students.

Therefore, the ammunition requirement for all LSHD courses will remain the same.

We understand this will cost you some extra money. But if you're going to use your precious ammo, this is the time and place to do it for maximum benefit.

(Beaver County)

Please make sure to check the prerequisites for this course. If there any any questions, contact me at info@lowspeed-highdrag.com or (412) 327-6383.

(Allegheny County)

Jay,

Hey bro - roger on prerequisites. Big time.

If you don't mind, I'm gonna get on my soap box for a moment.........

One of the hardest things in this industry to accomplish is convincing prospective students, particularly men, that if they haven't been through a formal, professional training course, they need to do so.

Newsflash: Just because you've hunted your whole life, it doesn't mean you know how to use a firearm in a tactical or personal defense situation. At all. Period - end of discussion. I've hunted my entire life too. I've also been around the block a time or two in the tactical world. The two things could not possibly be more different.

The last time I checked, a deer doesn't shoot back.

Most of it simply comes down to ego. Most men think they know everything about guns because they own a couple or they've been to the range to blast caps a few times. Combine that with all the firearms related nonsense in Hollywood, You Tube, and Call Of Duty, and the macho, bullshit attitudes that most guys bring to the range, and, well, most guys think taking an "intro" or a "basic" class is something beneath them, and their ego won't allow them to admit they need to do so.

Yeah, right.

To you men out there - this is by far and away the major reason why all firearms instructors would rather train women. They don't bring an ego and a macho, bullshit attitude to the range. And they LISTEN.

Most men come to a training course with the idea that they are going to show the instructor how super-awesome they are. Please - stop the insanity. Trust me, we've seen better.

Get over yourselves.

If you are a firearm owner, and particularly if you are a concealed carry permit holder, and you have never been to a formal, professional firearms training course, you need to do so. Period. If you don't believe that - you're wrong. Get to one of Jay's classes. Or Fire Institute. Or one of mine - but get yourself to a professional firearms training course. There are a lot of good instructors out there. Find one. Come to the course with your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. Open up your brain. And learn.

Leave your ego at home.

Just because you bought a firearm does not in any way mean you know how to use it in a tactical / personal defense situation.

I can go out tomorrow and buy a piano. It doesn't make me Billy Joel.
    Last edited by John A Brown; February 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Last edited by arjohnson; February 3rd, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Most men come to a training course with the idea that they are going to show the instructor how super-awesome they are. Please - stop the insanity. Trust me, we've seen better.

Get over yourselves.
    So you're saying that most of us go to classes to show off in front of the instructors, not to learn, and you want us to "get over ourselves"? Actually, I've seen lots more ego from certain instructors than from students. The F.I.R.E. Institute seems to be best in that regard, down-to-earth instructors with a lack of ego.

Way to insult your prospective students, "bro".
    Last edited by scruff; February 3rd, 2013 at 08:04 AM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Actually, I've seen lots more ego from certain instructors than from students. The F.I.R.E. Institute seems to be best in that regard, down-to-earth instructors with a lack of ego.

Way to insult your prospective students.
    I don't believe that John A Brown has anything to do with this class.Could be wrong.

The guys running this class are the group that we did Basic Carbine with.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast