• Option A

0 0%
  • Option B

4 50.00%
  • Something else (please explain)

4 50.00%
    (Bucks County)

Default Question about designing a target

Hey guys, my friends and I are developing a target and I want to get some input from the gun community.

So my question is in regards to a typical silhouette target. You essentially have two targets in one: a "head" target, and a "body" target. Let's assume, for now, there there are only these two zones. There are no additional smaller spots inside the body that grant additional points. The body portion is ONE zone and will grant the same amount of points no matter if you hit directly in the center, or right on the edge.

So...how do you guys feel about "neck shots?" Should the "head" be placed slightly above the body, with a small space between the head and body that will be considered a miss? Or should the head be directly touching the body, and any shots that fall directly on the line will count as body shots?

So to recap, we have two options:

A: Neck shots don't count, and there is a space between the head and the body.

B. The head "zone" will be touching the body, and any shots that fall directly on the line between will be counted as body shots.

ETA:
    This particular target is NOT designed for accuracy, it is designed for quick, reactive shooting. Or "point" shooting, or "instinctive" shooting, or whatever you wanna call it. The kind of shooting that you would see at a subgun match. Fast, fast, fast.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; November 25th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Question about designing a target

Well I voted something else. I fail to see what you're going to gain by trying to design your own target.

If you want option A, use the standard B-27 for a man-sized silhoutte it has a neck and a head, just ignore the scoring rings.

If you want option B, use the standard IDPA practice target.

Want something even more different use the FBI "coke bottle" target

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Well I voted something else. I fail to see what you're going to gain by trying to design your own target.

If you want option A, use the standard B-27 for a man-sized silhoutte it has a neck and a head, just ignore the scoring rings.

If you want option B, use the standard IDPA practice target.

Want something even more different use the FBI "coke bottle" target
    +1

I would use/design a target with a neck that is significantly thinner than the head. If not then treat the head and thoracic cavity as separate zones as the critical part of the neck is significantly thinner.

(Beaver County)

After researching the "bottle target" I voted for something else. I really like the target and the scoring system behind it for quick reactive shooting.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

I voted for something else. I like the "Nipples to Nose" theory (triangle) and the "Cental Nervous System" theory. There is also some value as to pelvic shots.

So, if'n I was fixin' to design a target, it would be a silhoutte with a triangle and a long rectangular box down the center of the "body".

Rick

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    +1

I would use/design a target with a neck that is significantly thinner than the head. If not then treat the head and thoracic cavity as separate zones as the critical part of the neck is significantly thinner.
    But the neck is an area where hits can be very lethal. Cut the carotid artery, cut the jugular vein, cut the larynx, break the spinal cord, they're all killers though not neccessarily immediate in lethality.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

I voted for something else.

QIT-99 FBI STYLE MODIFIED PAPER TARGET
    http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=QIT-99

STANDARD TQ-19 QUALIFICATION TARGETS
    http://www.letargets.com/estylez_search.aspx?msg=nohits
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    I voted for something else. I like the "Nipples to Nose" theory (triangle) and the "Cental Nervous System" theory. There is also some value as to pelvic shots.

So, if'n I was fixin' to design a target, it would be a silhoutte with a triangle and a long rectangular box down the center of the "body".

Rick
    Note to self: Don't get into a gunfight with RLS.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

A good hit to the first five cervical vertebrae is an immediate stopper....Lower than that and there is a good chance that the person may still be able to use his arms and hands, which translates into being able to use his firearm. Since the first four are covered in most cases by the mandible/teeth, I say forget the neck area and use a separate scoring box in the head.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    But the neck is an area where hits can be very lethal. Cut the carotid artery, cut the jugular vein, cut the larynx, break the spinal cord, they're all killers though not neccessarily immediate in lethality.
    I'm not saying that the neck would not be a vital strike. But allot of targets that are vaguely human shaped have the head area blended right into the body with the full width of the head, but the real vital area of the neck is slimmer.