Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default non-resident buying guns in PA

Hi- new to the site and wondering if anyone has any info or a direction to point me in.

Im from CT and my inlaws and wifes family are all from PA.
    I have a CC permit in CT and see that I can get a NON-resident one here in PA...

what i was wondering is, what does this allow me to do? It should allow me to legally carry a concealed weapon when in PA, but does it allow me to purchase pistols and long guns in PA as well? Anyone know how this works?

I was visiting the Golden Trigger Gun shop yesterday and was talking to the lady there asking about buying a gun and having it shipped to my local FFL (just was feeling out the waters), she said some guns they could, others they WOULD NOT since if i purchased a firearm that was illegal in CT (like a 7.62 chambered AK), then they could be held responsible. I would guess that should fall on my FFL.

Obviously, before i purchased, i would make sure i could own it in CT, but how do all these laws work?

Id like to be able to bring a couple firearms along with me can go range shooting with my wifes cousin, and possibly purchase a few guns that are legal in CT but sometimes difficult to come by.

thanks a bunch for any input

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: non-resident buying guns in PA

Your CT permit will allow you to carry within a vehicle, openly or concealed. But since your CT isn't fully honored, it wouldn't cover you to carry concealed on foot. And since we are in a state of emergency right now, it wouldn't cover you to carry openly afoot(normally outside of Philly no license is required to open carry afoot).

If you get a PA LTCF it will cover carrying in any manner, anywhere except the prohibited places. A PA LTCF will also exempt you from the federal 1000ft gun free school zone for schools within PA.

Permits to carry have no affect on purchasing a gun in PA. Federal law says that a non-resident can buy long guns from a FFL in another state, but cannot take possession(buy) handguns in another state. If you were to purchase a handgun in PA, it would have to be delivered by the FFL or seller to a FFL in your home state to perform the transfer.

For a FFL to sell you any type of gun, the gun must be legal in your home state. But technically you could if you can prove that you will be leaving it in a state that it is legal in. ...so, if CT has an assault weapon ban, a PA FFL would be compelled to not sell a CT defined assault weapon to you. Also, even if you can prove without a doubt that the CT illegal gun will be kept in PA - the dealer may still not want to run the risk.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

As an FFL, unless the buyer stored the gun in my shop and came to me to get it when he wanted to shoot it, you couldn't guarantee me that it would never be taken back to CT

Even in the scenerio above, the owner could come and get it and then drive back to CT with it and I might not ever see him again. About the only thing that would relieve me of possible culpability would be if I could prove that he had been storing it in my shop and he decided to take it back to CT knowing it was illegal in that state

In this case I would have the buyer sign a statement acknowledging that he knows the gun is illegal in CT but not in PA and that he would never take it out of PA. I'd file it attached to the 4473 for my protection.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wayne County)

Some ffl will sell you any rifle. Some will not. Gander will sell you any long rifle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As an FFL, unless the buyer stored the gun in my shop and came to me to get it when he wanted to shoot it, you couldn't guarantee me that it would never be taken back to CT

Even in the scenerio above, the owner could come and get it and then drive back to CT with it and I might not ever see him again. About the only thing that would relieve me of possible culpability would be if I could prove that he had been storing it in my shop and he decided to take it back to CT knowing it was illegal in that state

In this case I would have the buyer sign a statement acknowledging that he knows the gun is illegal in CT but not in PA and that he would never take it out of PA. I'd file it attached to the 4473 for my protection.
    As an FFL... You are aware that a non resident CAN'T take possession of a firearm from you at all?

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    As an FFL... You are aware that a non resident CAN'T take possession of a firearm from you at all?

Right?
    As long as the buyer complies with the laws of PA and his home state, he can purchase a long gun in PA legally (assuming the FFL is willing to do so).

(Jefferson County)

Right?
    Long guns, yes - they can. Non-residents can buy and take possession in any state per federal law from a FFL. Private transfers must be through a FFL in any state.

Handguns, the transfer must be through a FFL in the buyer's home state.

However, even for the long guns - the buyer's home state/municipal laws play a part too. Like a permit for NYC, FID+COE for NJ, etc, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

My post specified firearms

My post specified firearms
    Sounds like you're splitting hairs on a legalese technicality.

The person you were responding to used the non-specific term "gun". Even the OP specifically made reference to "pistols and long guns". There is no reason anyone reading your post would believe that when you said "firearm" you meant anything other than what a typical person thinks of as a gun.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    The person you were responding to used the non-specific term "gun". Even the OP specifically made reference to "pistols and long guns". There is no reason anyone reading your post would believe that when you said "firearm" you meant anything other than what a typical person thinks of as a gun.
    Even more of a reason to clarify the difference between the two

The OP stated handguns and long guns. Hand guns are firearms.

When I post, I don't take into consideration the thousands of different ways "someone" might interpret my post. If they misinterpret it, then they need to further their education.

My post was accurate, concise and lawfully correct. I covered firearms and KNIGHT covered long guns.

Now the OP has ALL the info he needs and it's NEVER a bad thing to have "TOO MUCH" information
    Last edited by BimmerJon; November 25th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast