Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Range?

(York County)

Wink Gun Range?

I am new to York County. I am looking for a range in the Red Lion Area. Interested in rifle, handgun,and shotgun shooting. I would be interested in joining a club, and am thinking about trying the "cowboy action shooting".
    Do I need to go to the courthouse in York to obtain my CC permit?
    Thanks, for you help.

(York County)

Default Re: Gun Range?

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsgt View Post
    I am new to York County. I am looking for a range in the Red Lion Area. Interested in rifle, handgun,and shotgun shooting. and am thinking about trying the "cowboy action shooting". Do I need to go to the courthouse in York to obtain my CC permit? Thanks, for you help.
    Hello -

Welcome to York County.

An indoor range: Freedom Armory, Glen Rock,
    http://www.freedomarmory.com/joomla/index.php Nice facility, good staff, I shoot there in bad weather.

An outdoor range: ILWA, between Loganville and Dallastown http://www.iwla.org/index.php?id=25, separate ranges; rifle out to 200 yards, pistol out to 100 yards, shootgun pattering and a skeet set-up (5 block houses?) Well maintained, good people, very quiet during workdays. IPSC and shotgun competitions.

Lots of SASS (Cowboy shooting). The one closest to Hanover (my home):
    http://www.skywardthought.com/westsh...n_shooting.php 33 miles one way, north east of Hanover, west side of the river a little south of Harrisburg.

CC permit: You can go (I think, not 100% sure) to the Chief of Police in the jurisdiction where you live or Courthouse Sherrif's Office. Thats where I go. Good service, polite staff, quick turn arround.

Good luck, be safe, have fun!!

SouthCentral

(York County)

South Central:
    Thanks for the info.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsgt View Post
    Do I need to go to the courthouse in York to obtain my CC permit?
    Thanks, for you help.
    Welcome to the county.

Info on downloading the LTCF form for York County gives the links for .pdf or .doc files for the form; you don't have to go to the courthouse except for picking up the permit, getting the photo taken, etc.

Good luck - new sherriff in the County - don't know how sticky he's going to be versus what Bill Hose (former Sherriff) was.
    SIG Sauer, S&W M&P and Mossberg 930 Armorer

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by NoHackrLtd View Post
    Good luck - new sherriff in the County - don't know how sticky he's going to be versus what Bill Hose (former Sherriff) was.
    I posted this b\4, but I think it's pertinate here also.........

IMO, also I think we need to keep an eye on him (were's that 1000 lb. gorilla I've heard about?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reminder on Firearms Responsibility

From Sheriff Rich Keuerleber

As an applicant for a license to carry a firearm, it is my duty to remind you that carrying a firearm requires tremendous care and responsibility. It is my position that irresponsible behavior, criminal or otherwise, will result in the permanent revocation of your license. Also, I am asking every firearms license holder to exercise good firearms care and safety as it relates to carrying and storage of firearms.

Please consider the following as it relates to your firearms license:

1. Be familiar with the operation, safe handling, and laws related to your firearm. Although it is not the law, it is recommended that you take a firearms safety course offered by a competent instructor. Otherwise the firearm may represent a threat to yourself, your family, and your fellow citizens.

2. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm to the public and may result in revocation of your permit.

3. Possessing a firearm presents an additional risk of it getting into the wrong hands. Practice safe storage and seek quality firearms training.

4. Your firearms license is for Pennsylvania only. There are states that accept Pennsylvania Licenses. Information on reciprocity can be obtained from the PA Attorney General’s Office.

5. Do not carry your firearm when consuming alcoholic beverages or taking prescription medications that may affect your abilities and/or judgment.

6. A firearms license does not confer any law enforcement powers or authority. Acting in that manner will result in revocation of your license in addition to any criminal/civil penalties.

7. Carrying a firearm does create the possibility of it being taken and used against you and your family. Seek quality training.

8. Any arrest or Protection From Abuse Order is grounds for revocation of your permit. Your license will be revoked, whether the firearm was involved in the incident or not. State law requires that you notify us if you become ineligible to maintain your license to carry a firearm.

9. If you are carrying a firearm and come into contact with a Law Enforcement Officer, follow all instructions you are given. Do not make any sudden moves, keep your hands visible, and notify the officer immediately that you have a firearms license and a firearm on your person.

These are a few of the many considerations you should keep in mind. Please use common sense and basic handgun safety considerations at all times. Again, carrying a firearm requires responsibility.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The bold and underline was mine.

Oops, forgot to add.........Freedom Armory is a nice place.
    Last edited by LowFlyer; March 15th, 2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot to add.........
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(York County)

Any other ranges in the general York area? Seems like the closest one to York mentioned here is IWLA. I read about ACSHA and SGL 242 elsewhere. There's gotta be a couple sportsmans clubs around.

(York County)

You could try west shore sportsman in lewisberry, I belong there. It is probably a little far for you to drive though.

(York County)

JackedLobster:

I go to all three. Member at ILWA, day member at Freedom Armory and frequent visitor at ACHSA. For me in Hanover, the longest drive is ACHSA. Not unreasonable, just a bit longer. On your maps, look for Gardners, PA. in Adams County. It's very close to there. MapQuest will get you close http://www.mapquest.com/
    Use the address 1540 Upper Bermudian Road, GARDNERS PA 17324

SouthCentral

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Packerfan View Post
    You could try west shore sportsman in lewisberry, I belong there. It is probably a little far for you to drive though.

Hey Packerfan -

I visited WSSA last year at the end of the season and came up for the 2 March IDPA club match. Nice bunch of people. I plan on getting up for All IDPA shoots. First Sunday, 0800 - 1600. You shoot IDPA? If so, See you there!

SouthCentral

(York County)

Wink Re: Gun Range?

I did go down to the courthouse in York and filled out the application for a CC permit. It took about a week to get approved, and they notified me via e-mail. Went back today and picked it up. Everyone at the court seemed professional and helpful.
    I did contact the IWLA and went over there this past Saturday. They had a Easter Egg Hunt for the kids. Seems like a decent buch of folks, and the ranges look safe and well maintained. I do believe I shall join.
    Thanks guys for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast