Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: $550 Garand ?

Default $550 Garand ?

Stopped at Surplus City on my way home from work yesterday in Feasterville for their "Thanksgiving Sale." No prices really held me on awe.

They had a few parts Garands, H&R and Springy receiver marked, and fewer Parts M1 Carbines. Plainfields and Inlands for $350-$550 iirc.

Have been considering the mixed part Springy Receiver Garands since I saw em'.

The guns were cosmolined to hell, to the point of sticky actions. I'm wondering how the springs are, or if the cosmo is really that sticky.

Unable to gauge throat/muzzle erosion, and unable to disassemble there to see what goods they contain.

Assuming I'd attempt to at least make sure the bolts are springy marked, and check to see if they're import marked... anything else I could readily look out for? Worth the $550? I'd love a Garand back in my collection. Not sure if it's worth taking the risk. Thoughts?

Note: I poked around on the CMP Rifle Sales websites, and for a Rack Grade Garands it's about the same, but who knows with those.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: $550 Garand ?

CMP Rack Grades are currently not available.
    I would not buy a rack grade.

CMP Field Grades are only $525.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
    Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

For another $100 bucks you can have a Service Grade ($625).
    This is the way I would go if I didn't have the cash for a Correct or Special Grade.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
    Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

If you go to buy one at CMP the staff there will help you pick one out and even lend you some gauges to measure the throats and muzzles.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

550 seems like a OK price but I remember when they had garands for 350 a couple of years ago now that was a killer deal even though they were mixed parts guns and import marked. i was in there last night but didn't see anything that caught my attention so i walked out empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    CMP Rack Grades are currently not available.
    I would not buy a rack grade.

CMP Field Grades are only $525.

For another $100 bucks you can have a Service Grade ($625).
    This is the way I would go if I didn't have the cash for a Correct or Special Grade.

If you go to buy one at CMP the staff there will help you pick one out and even lend you some gauges to measure the throats and muzzles.
    Kinda what I was debating, I wasn't sure if $550 was well enough to take a risk. I think I'll take your advice. I think I confused Rack vs Field grade. If Field grades are only $525, It's worth getting it through CMP. I'd do a Service for $625, but that turns an easy purchase into a "well, do I really need another rifle" debate which seems to last infinitely.

Only thing is I'm not a member of a CMP affiliated Rod and Gun Club (I was, shot CMP regularly and regret letting my membership expire) so I feel like I would find it difficult to pick up a CMP rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    550 seems like a OK price but I remember when they had garands for 350 a couple of years ago now that was a killer deal even though they were mixed parts guns and import marked. i was in there last night but didn't see anything that caught my attention so i walked out empty handed.
    I was just telling my buddy that. I remember when they were $350 there as well, last year or so. I regret not picking one up then. Though, I recall picking them up, and my hands instantly becoming caked with sticky cosmo. They told me that a gunsmith would need to look at them before firing when I was interested in the $350 ones last year. If they're the same ones, then jeez.

You did the same thing I did. Walked in, poked around a bit, nothing really worth jumping on.

Jeez, I remember last year, they were letting PSL's go for $500 and Polish Milled (1960) AK's go for $650. I picked up my S&W M&P9 in great shape last Thanksgiving Sale for $350 and some change for PICS

Only semi-decent priced thing I saw was 1,000 rounds of 9mm PMC Bronze for $220 ($11 a box) Not too shabby. I'm waiting for another AIM Surplus free shipping event to stock up more on ammo though. No Tax, No Shipping, $9.99 Aguila 124gr 9mm.

Damn, I wish those 870's they had all lined up were $100 cheaper. I'd have bought two.

Do you remember this batch being import marked? I wish I remembered to look, but there was too many things going on in there to really take the time...
    Last edited by Dogpupkus; November 21st, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

(Allegheny County)

"Only thing is I'm not a member of a CMP affiliated Rod and Gun Club (I was, shot CMP regularly and regret letting my membership expire) so I feel like I would find it difficult to pick up a CMP rifle."

Eligibility requirements are not hard or expensive to meet:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

did cmp change the way on eligibility on buying a firearm from them?

I swear i remember something that you need to go to your sheriff office to get some paperwork done by them saying that your legal citizens in ownership a firearm or something. I just did a quick check and seems like they do all that on their end now (cmp). maybe i'm getting confuse.

sorry about the rambler talk.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    Do you remember this batch being import marked? I wish I remembered to look, but there was too many things going on in there to really take the time...
    i'm 99.9% sure the 350 garands were import marked with a ghastly dot matrix print from century arms. even so they were nice rifles for the price and while they didn't have any collector value if you wanted a shooter garand they were the way to go.

(Berks County)

$550?......could be a gem, or it could be a dog. The prices are only going up, even on Garands that need some TLC to set them right.

That said, even if it does have some issues, there isn't anything on a Garand that can't be fixed.

Spring kits and small parts are available from many sources, prices are decent.

Good stock sets old and new are available.

The worst thing that can happen is the barrel is bad....but even then a few hundred dollars will get you a new barrel.

I have built a few over the years, I don't think the price that bad.....even for somthing that needs a rebuild.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Went back today, price went up to $600. Did some more inspecting, and they were actually decent builds. Sadly, they had a import mark on the barrel which made instantly turned me off to them.

Walked out with a Sig P232, and a S&W Model 37 Lightweight. Spent $295 total since I walked in with an old C&R trade in.