Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Concerned about gun being seen

I just got my carry license and am waiting to buy a nice compact carry gun (Springfield Micro 1911) so I have not yet carried, plus I don't have a holster for my other gun. I have this worry about what holster and how I should carry becuase I am concerned about someone getting a glimpse. I am wondering about the law, if I am carrying concealed and another person sees it as I reach up or something ,and they freak out, is that any type of violation of the Licenses. I know we can Open Carry but that is different then Concealed with a license.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Concerned about gun being seen

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post
    I know we can Open Carry but that is different the Concealed with a license.
    No difference at all. Just because you have a LTCF, you are not obligated to conceal your weapon. If it 'peeks' out, or prints under your clothing, you are not breaking the law in any way.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Read some of the OC threads, and you will see that most people are not going to freak out if the thing is hanging out in full view!

For what it is worth, I had a guy staring at me with the evil eye one time while waiting in line at Cabela's (of all places!) I was carrying concealed, but the butt of my revolver, just above my own personal butt, was printing big time according to Mrs. Plinker, and he must have been offended that I actually had a gun on me in a gun store. But other than that, no worries so far.

Good luck with it!

(Northampton County)

I am mostly worried about the Law. I am from NJ where you need to jump around just to buy a gun and to lose this new found freedom would be just terrible.

Thanks

(Indiana County)

The hardest thing to get used to is a pound or two of steel hanging on your hip. As far as others seeing it, that's their problem, not yours. Act like you normally do, and most others won't even notice.

I just started carrying. I switch between OC and CC as the situation sees fit.

(Dauphin County)

I used to have the same worries all the time when I first got my LTCF. The more you carry it, the less you worry about printing or causing it to "peek" when you bend over for something.

I carry a full sized Taurus 24/7 PRO in a Bianchi Accumold belt-slide holster. Depending on what shirt I'm wearing and if I bend over the "wrong" way, the muzzle of my pistol sticks out just slightly. I could honestly care less who sees anymore.

If you're still that concerned, I'd suggest going with un-tucked shirts one size larger than you typically wear. If that's not feasbile, a half-decent (I'll go as far to say cheap Uncle Mike's stuff will do the trick) IWB holster will help.

Also, if you bend down for something: instead of bending at the waist, kneel down onto the same knee as the side you're carrying on to pick it up. This may also help to reduce your risk of "butt printing" (grip of your pistol showing through your shirt).

But seriously: Don't worry about it so much, stop "fidgeting", and you'll find the only people around you who might actually notice you're carrying a concealed sidearm are probably the same people who are carrying a concealed sidearm themselves. And in that case, your secret will stay safe with us.

Stay Safe,
    38SnubFan

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The hardest thing to get used to is a pound or two of steel hanging on your hip. As far as others seeing it, that's their problem, not yours. Act like you normally do, and most others won't even notice.
    Or four pounds...

But yes, there's no law against having your gun showing. In fact, you don't even need a LTCF in order to carry openly as long as you're not in a vehicle nor in Philadelphia. There is also no "brandishing" law either, so you don't have to worry about being lawfully charged with that.

The benefit of having a Pennsylvania LTCF is being able to carry a gun in whatever way your heart desires... in a tacticool rectal holster, an OWB holster, or any degree in between.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

I am working with a non gun person who knows I shoot and carry. He watches me lock my Glock into a COM gun vault every morning.

I asked him if he ever noticed me carrying a gun other than that Glock. He said no. I have worked with him on and off for about 2 years and have stretched,bent over, laid on my back and sides, gone up ladders with him holding the bottom and has generally seen me in quite a few different positions working,welding and driving to and from work in the same car.

My BUG, which becomes my work primary is in a IWB holster. I wear a long sleeved t shirt with a short sleeved on over the other shirt. I tuck the shirt hem under the beltclip to secure it. Only one guy said to me "don't shoot yourself in the ass". He saw me bending over to pick up a heavy box and he saw part of the grip and mag. No big deal.

Most people just don't pay attention.

Just my Op,

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I use a IWB (inside the waist band) holster to carry concealed. I useally wear a t-shirt, whith a untucked shrt over it with tails most of the time. Carry on the rear of the right hip, works for me and is actually pretty comfortable for my fat behind . . . LOL
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast