Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Military stationed in PA

Hi y'all! I have a question. My husband is in the Army and is currently stationed in PA as a recruiter. We bought a house here, but haven't yet changed our driver's licenses from Texas to PA. He has his orders that say he is stationed here also. The problem is, he has tried to go buy a rifle at a few different places to get ready for hunting season, and nobody will sell to him because he doesn't have a PA driver's license, even though he has a military ID and everything else. He has also gone to gun shows and bought raffle tickets, but they've told him that if he wins then it doesn't matter because he doesn't have a PA license.

So my question is, does he HAVE to have a PADL? He has a TXDL, it just doesn't have our current address on it. Can he take his orders and our house contract or something along with his military ID? Also, can he get a carry license in PA if he wants to get a hand gun, or does that require a PADL too?

Most of the time when he asks at a place that sells them, they don't know for sure because we are not at a military post.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Joy

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Military stationed in PA

IANAL nor am I an expert but, as I understand it, if he is on military orders in Pa, he should be able to purchase a firearm, rifle or shotgun.

I purchased a pistol in NC when I was stationed there. I was still officially a Pa Resident, Pa DL and my HOR was still in Pa. This was in the early 1990s.

I don't think the laws have changed but, it's possible.

ETA - I bought the pistol at the Main Px on Camp Lejeune.
    Last edited by ReconLdr; November 20th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Jefferson County)

He will need a copy of his orders until he gets a PA ID/DL. Also, 2-3 months of current utility bills for your PA home may be needed, along with an existing photo ID. His TX ID should suffice for proving he is who he is.

However, some gunshops aren't aware of the law. You may have to shop around until you find a shop that does know the law.

For the LTCF - same thing as purchasing a gun. However, your sheriff may give you the same grief as the ill-informed dealers. Sad thing though, you cannot shop around for another sheriff - you must apply with the sheriff of the county you reside in.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Thank you guys so much! I will let him know, because he was starting to get frustrated about it.

I really appreciate the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    He will need a copy of his orders until he gets a PA ID/DL. Also, 2-3 months of current utility bills for your PA home may be needed, along with an existing photo ID. His TX ID should suffice for proving he is who he is.

However, some gunshops aren't aware of the law. You may have to shop around until you find a shop that does know the law.

For the LTCF - same thing as purchasing a gun. However, your sheriff may give you the same grief as the ill-informed dealers. Sad thing though, you cannot shop around for another sheriff - you must apply with the sheriff of the county you reside in.
    Unless he changes states of residency he won't get a drivers license from PA. He is and can continue to claim TX residency. Military members DO NOT have to change home of record every time they PCS. He should be able to purchase simply with his TX ID and/or military ID AND PCS orders showing he is stationed in PA. The challenge is finding a gun dealer that knows and understands this. PA does not have many military installations and few active duty persaonnel so most dealers are not aware.

(Allegheny County)

Jonathan Held the Westmoreland sheriff is a good guy, (pro gun) trouble is getting past all the bureaucracy to actual speak with him is going to be the problem.

here is the contact info for the Westmoreland sheriff office.

http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/she...te/default.asp
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Unless he changes states of residency he won't get a drivers license from PA. He is and can continue to claim TX residency. Military members DO NOT have to change home of record every time they PCS. He should be able to purchase simply with his TX ID and/or military ID AND PCS orders showing he is stationed in PA. The challenge is finding a gun dealer that knows and understands this. PA does not have many military installations and few active duty persaonnel so most dealers are not aware.
    I know.

The problem is with the dealers, not the law on the situation. He isn't required to change his ID/DL. Changing his DL to PA would resolve the issues with the idiot dealers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Don't forget, a long arm can be purchased from any FFL in any state as long as it and the person meet the legal requirements of the persons state of residence.

A military member offically stationed in another state is considered a resident of both his home of record and the state he has been assigned to. Even for a handgun, a military person on official orders can buy one even with a different state DL. In PA the FFL would just talk to a PICS operator to have the info given that is required for the background check. The FFL should then make a copy of the military orders and attach it to the 4473.

The military member does not have to show 90 days residency or anything else other than the orders assigning him to his duty in PA.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Thank you guys so much! I will let him know, because he was starting to get frustrated about it.

I really appreciate the help!!
    Try "The Shooters Bench" in Russellton. The owner and staff are very knowledgeable. It's only about a 20 minute drive from New Kensington.

http://www.theshootersbench.com/

(Chester County)

If his permanent station is in Pa then HE IS A PA RESIDENT for all Federal Firearm law purposes.

18 USC 921(b) For the purposes of this chapter, a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his permanent duty station is located.
    and

27 CFR § 478.11 Meaning of terms.

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b).
    He need only show his orders and proof of his Pa residence. He is able to buy any type of firearm legal in Pa to include rifles, shotguns and handguns (assuming he is not otherwise prohibited due to record or age).
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast