Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Shipping Firearms to Yourself

So, I'm going to be heading home to Tennessee for Thanksgiving here this weekend. Since I had access to a much better safe there, I've been keeping a few of my more expensive firearms there instead of in my apartment. I'd like to send a couple back up here though, and I'm thinking of shipping them to myself via FedEx.

To my knowledge, so long as the sender and receiver are the same individual (ie, you're shipping it to yourself), there's nothing legally questionable about doing this, correct? I honestly just don't want to deal with trying to fly them in checked baggage and risk some PHL airport TSA clerk to see them through the xray and get freaked out.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Shipping Firearms to Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    So, I'm going to be heading home to Tennessee for Thanksgiving here this weekend. Since I had access to a much better safe there, I've been keeping a few of my more expensive firearms there instead of in my apartment. I'd like to send a couple back up here though, and I'm thinking of shipping them to myself via FedEx.

To my knowledge, so long as the sender and receiver are the same individual (ie, you're shipping it to yourself), there's nothing legally questionable about doing this, correct? I honestly just don't want to deal with trying to fly them in checked baggage and risk some PHL airport TSA clerk to see them through the xray and get freaked out.
    Legally, there's no problem, but I believe both UPS and FedEx recently changed their policy to require that firearms must be delivered to an FFL (even if not required by law), so unless you are an FFL, or do not disclose that the packages contain firearms (which you are required to do by law), you're probably SOL.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Yeah, Fedup and UPS have instituted a policy that there must be a FFL at one end of the shipment whether it be the sending or receiving end.

Technically you can mail a long gun to yourself still. But most USPS offices will give you crap for even attempting, or will flat-out deny accepting the parcel.

Most airlines have a limit as to the number of guns per flight for a passenger, or number of guns per case. The last time I flew the airline we took capped it at 3 guns per flight and X number of pounds of ammo. Fortunately I was only taking one gun to Texas and a 25rd box of ammo - so there were no issues(Pittsburgh to connecting flight in Houston, to San Antonio. Then San Antonio, connecting in Dallas, to Pittsburgh).

If you have a trusted friend or family member - you might be better off having them store the guns for you. If they don't have a LTCF, any handguns will have to be locked up so that the "baby sitter" doesn't have control and custody. Spouse/parents/children/grandparents/grandchildren wont need a LTCF to baby sit the handguns. Long guns wont need the baby sitter to have a LTCF either.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 19th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

As long as you follow the airlines rules and use proper transport means there shouldnt be any issues. Even tho there are many inexpensive airline approved cases out there, I feel like if its of any value I would get one of the more expensive Pelican or similar cases.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Legally, there's no problem, but I believe both UPS and FedEx recently changed their policy to require that firearms must be delivered to an FFL (even if not required by law), so unless you are an FFL, or do not disclose that the packages contain firearms (which you are required to do by law), you're probably SOL.
    What if you're a C&R FFL? Wonder if they'd care/know the difference...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post
    What if you're a C&R FFL? Wonder if they'd care/know the difference...
    I haven't seen a printed copy of the actual policy. I suspect if you showed a copy of your C&R, they wouldn't know the difference, though unless you were actually shipping a C&R firearm, you'd likely be knowingly disregarding their policy (depending on the actual wording of said policy).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Carbon County)

Wink Re: Shipping Firearms to Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yeah, Fedup and UPS have instituted a policy that there must be a FFL at one end of the shipment whether it be the sending or receiving end.

Technically you can mail a long gun to yourself still. But most USPS offices will give you crap for even attempting, or will flat-out deny accepting the parcel.
    Most airlines have a limit as to the number of guns per flight for a passenger, or number of guns per case. The last time I flew the airline we took capped it at 3 guns per flight and X number of pounds of ammo. Fortunately I was only taking one gun to Texas and a 25rd box of ammo - so there were no issues(Pittsburgh to connecting flight in Houston, to San Antonio. Then San Antonio, connecting in Dallas, to Pittsburgh).

If you have a trusted friend or family member - you might be better off having them store the guns for you. If they don't have a LTCF, any handguns will have to be locked up so that the "baby sitter" doesn't have control and custody. Spouse/parents/children/grandparents/grandchildren wont need a LTCF to baby sit the handguns. Long guns wont need the baby sitter to have a LTCF either.
    That's why I've never mailed a long gun, only kid's skis...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1749 View Post
    That's why I've never mailed a long gun, only kid's skis...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
    Don't go there, just don't go there.

If the PO clerk will not accept the shipment, get the Postmaster of the PO immediately. It is in their regs how everything is to be done. They might not like doing it but it is not against any of their regs. It's also at least 50% cheaper than UPS or FedEx even with Priority Mail, insurance and delivery confirmation and going Priority Msail it will get there in 2-3 days.

I do the vast majority of my gun shipping throuh USPS, granted, my PO knows me and I've been doing it for a while.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Carbon County)

Its nne of their business unless it is illegal or dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by PA1749 View Post
    Its none of their business unless it is illegal or dangerous.
    . . . except that 18 U.S.C. § 922(e) says that it is their business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast