Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Carrying my dads handgun to the range and back

hey everyone so I have a question...
    I am 21 years old, and I have my LTCF in PA. Am I allowed to transport and or carry my dads gun to the range to shoot with. The guys at the range I go to said this wouldn't be a problem as long as precautionary measures were taken like normal... Gun in case, unloaded/empty mag in(or no mag at all), ammo in a different case and both of them closed and secured. What do you guys think or know about this kind of situation? Any insight would be awesome!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Carrying my dads handgun to the range and back

Guys at your range are clueless.

You have a LTCF, meaning you can carry firearms loaded, yours or someone else's

Again, with a LTCF, you can accept a loan of a firearm from someone in PA to borrow

As if you needed another reason... Your dad is, well... Your dad. Parent to child firearm transfers require no paperwork intrastate.

No need to unload, carry it like its yours and if you dad doesn't want it back.... It is!
    Last edited by BimmerJon; November 17th, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post

Again, with a LTCF, you can accept a loan of a firearm from someone in PA to borrow

As if you needed another reason... Your dad is, well... Your dad. Parent to child firearm transfers require no paperwork intrastate.

No need to unload, carry it like its yours and if you dad doesn't want it back.... It is!
    BimmerJon is correct. When it comes to handguns, you can do whatever you want for the most part with an LTCF. However, if the gun-range is saying that you should keep it unloaded when you come in, then you should. They may have a "policy" of no loaded guns except at the firing line. So, you can drive over there with the gun loaded, but walking in I'd have it unloaded and in a case if that's their policy.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post

Hahaha ok thanks, just wanted to clear it up, originally from NY and I cannot express how much I am loving the freedom of the second amendment in PA. Didn't really have it in NY...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    BimmerJon is correct. When it comes to handguns, you can do whatever you want for the most part with an LTCF. However, if the gun-range is saying that you should keep it unloaded when you come in, then you should. They may have a "policy" of no loaded guns except at the firing line. So, you can drive over there with the gun loaded, but walking in I'd have it unloaded and in a case if that's their policy.
    Yes that is their policy and I have no problem following it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    Good point. I stated the legal side. If your range has a policy, that's different.

(Lackawanna County)

Nothing left to do here but to say, be safe and enjoy shooting your Dad's gun...

(McKean County)

Nothing left to do here ...
    AND, photos of the targets......

They ALWAYS forget the photos part.......

Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

As everyone is telling you, with your LCTF you re good to go - - With PISTOLS.

Rifles must be unloaded, ammunition stored seperately to transport in any type of vehicle. Magazines do not have to be unloaded. Magazines, loose or boxed rounds can be in your range bag or in a zippered pocket on the outside of your rifle case, just not in the same space with the rifle.

Happy and SAFE shooting...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DiVinci View Post
    As everyone is telling you, with your LCTF you re good to go - - With PISTOLS.

Rifles must be unloaded, ammunition stored seperately to transport in any type of vehicle. Magazines do not have to be unloaded. Magazines, loose or boxed rounds can be in your range bag or in a zippered pocket on the outside of your rifle case, just not in the same space with the rifle.

Happy and SAFE shooting...
    To correct. Say "firearms" instead of "pistols". There are cases where more than a "pistol" can be loaded in your vehicle, like an AR15 or Shotgun. SBR and SBS are "firearms". So there's that.

Loaded mags for long guns need to be in a separate pocket of same bag than gun or in separate bag. Loose ammo can be with gun or even taped to it. Doesn't need to be separate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast