Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Good chat with the night shift cashier and a city cop at Turkey Hill tonight.

Went out a bit after 12AM for smokes. It's a little cold, had to button up my jacket, which pulled tight over my gun. I wouldn't have been able to draw quickly or smoothly. So I adjusted, and went Open Carry. Walked in, got my butts. Then I got the usual question: "Is that a TASER?"
    "No, ma'am. It's a gun."
    "Oh. I don't think you can carry in the store."
    "Actually, ma'am, I can. Turkey Hill's policy prohibits employees from carrying a weapon while in uniform and on the clock, even pocket knives. Otherwise, the policy says that they follow state laws. In PA, open carry is legal."
    "How do you know all that (smile)?"
    "I work nights at the store on Lehman, close to Wal-mart. I looked into it."
    "Oh. That's okay then. Have a good night!"

That's when the officer came around the counter. Didn't ask for ID, or permits, or name. He asked what I was carrying (C9), what I loaded (FMJ), how much it cost ($160!), the usual gun chat. He didn't even ask to see it. I think I talked him into getting one to plink with. He said to be careful and keep my eyes open, since there's been some stupidity in town lately. Nice guy, good experience.

Default Re: Good chat with the night shift cashier and a city cop at Turkey Hill tonight.

Good story. Glad everything was smooth.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Good chat with the night shift cashier and a city cop at Turkey Hill tonight.

Smoking is going to get you in trouble!

Good story.
    MikeP

(Washington County)

If only every encounter went this well. But I have to ask, with all the great personal defense rounds on the market for the 9mm, why load it with FMJ? Its my understanding that any hollow point will out perform an FMJ in a defensive situation.

(Beaver County)

Stop talking to the police!

Nice work. Hopefully, all of your encounters go this way. I would suggest some new ammo. There are many reliable self defense rounds available.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Indiana County)

$160 for a C9? I saw them advertised in Big Run (Route 119, Jefferson County) for $132.95.

BTW, I carry JHP rounds in my C9.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PGHxdguy View Post
    If only every encounter went this well. But I have to ask, with all the great personal defense rounds on the market for the 9mm, why load it with FMJ? Its my understanding that any hollow point will out perform an FMJ in a defensive situation.
    Actually FMJ has many advantages to them , they should be used in certain tactical situations where they can be advantageous, but it is not too polite to talk openly about it.

Knoweldgable folks will know what i'm talking about.
    For that reason i keep several hundred rounds of it in my SHTF supply.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Actually FMJ has many advantages to them , they should be used in certain tactical situations where they can be advantageous, but it is not too polite to talk openly about it.

Knoweldgable folks will know what i'm talking about.
    For that reason i keep several hundred rounds of it in my SHTF supply.
    Well, I could see a FMJ being better at distance shooting, but we're talking hand-guns here. A FMJ will have better penetration, which may be beneficial to an unarmored target. I'd think that hollow-points would be the round of choice for most anybody. I mean, I'm not too worried about having to shoot somebody wearing level 2a armor, therefore I am not worried about deep penetration. I want rapid expansion and a bigger hole. It aide something called "stopping power" (subjective term).

So, I may be a bit ignorant on the topic, but what exactly are the advantages of using FMJ as carry-ammo?
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    Well, I could see a FMJ being better at distance shooting, but we're talking hand-guns here. A FMJ will have better penetration, which may be beneficial to an unarmored target. I'd think that hollow-points would be the round of choice for most anybody. I mean, I'm not too worried about having to shoot somebody wearing level 2a armor, therefore I am not worried about deep penetration. I want rapid expansion and a bigger hole. It aide something called "stopping power" (subjective term).

So, I may be a bit ignorant on the topic, but what exactly are the advantages of using FMJ as carry-ammo?
    I carry a G19 loaded with JHP and, yes, one in the chamber. My 2nd and 3rd mags, however are FMJ. My thought being that if I ever need to use it, JHP would be my choice in the vast majority of scenarios for efficiency and safety.

However, if I would ever need to get to a 2nd (or 3rd mag) I figure I am in SHTF mode. At that point I may need to shoot THROUGH something to get to the BG.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tvtog View Post
    I carry a G19 loaded with JHP and, yes, one in the chamber. My 2nd and 3rd mags, however are FMJ. My thought being that if I ever need to use it, JHP would be my choice in the vast majority of scenarios for efficiency and safety.

However, if I would ever need to get to a 2nd (or 3rd mag) I figure I am in SHTF mode. At that point I may need to shoot THROUGH something to get to the BG.
    Or even if BG just takes some type of semi-cover/concealment and he is still able to shoot at you. I also carry JHP's but I do not disagree with carrying FMJ.

Car doors anyone? What if you are walking and being shot at from a car? A car door may stop your JHP's but fmj's may zip through to stop the threat.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast