Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Join A Gun Club Instead of Complaining!

I am lucky to live in an area with several gun and sportsman's clubs with decent rifle or rifle and pistol ranges. I am a member of three of them and gladly pay my dues to have a place for my wife and I to shoot. Most of the people I talk to about shooting sports complain that they no longer have a place to shoot. They can't plink in the woods. They can't shoot on their property because of neighbors. They can't shoot semi-autos at the PA Game ranges and blah, blah.

If you WANT to shoot and not just whine about not being able to find a place to shoot, JOIN A CLUB! All three clubs with ranges I belong to are accepting new members as are several others within 20 miles. Yes, the dues are form $20 to $100 per year but that is small money compared to ammunition and accessories for most of the complainers. Stop complaining, start joining. You just may have a great time and meet some new friends.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Join A Gun Club Instead of Complaining!

I've been saying this ever since the great whining of 2011. Join a club. The benefits are so much greater than shooting at a SGL range it's ridiculous.

(Butler County)

I live in Indiana, what clubs nearby are decent?

I should add, I am primarily looking for pistol ranges.

Thanks

(Bucks County)

I wish I could get into the club I want to be in. Others are to far of a drive. :/
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    I live in Indiana, what clubs nearby are decent?

I should add, I am primarily looking for pistol ranges.

Thanks
    Sent you a PM!

(Chester County)

I belong to two clubs. One of them I don't even shoot at anymore, but I want to support them and help them stay open.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

Find one from me within 45 minutes that doesn't require knowing someone and spending thousands of dollars then.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300plus View Post
    I am lucky to live in an area with several gun and sportsman's clubs with decent rifle or rifle and pistol ranges. I am a member of three of them and gladly pay my dues to have a place for my wife and I to shoot. Most of the people I talk to about shooting sports complain that they no longer have a place to shoot. They can't plink in the woods. They can't shoot on their property because of neighbors. They can't shoot semi-autos at the PA Game ranges and blah, blah.

If you WANT to shoot and not just whine about not being able to find a place to shoot, JOIN A CLUB! All three clubs with ranges I belong to are accepting new members as are several others within 20 miles. Yes, the dues are form $20 to $100 per year but that is small money compared to ammunition and accessories for most of the complainers. Stop complaining, start joining. You just may have a great time and meet some new friends.
    But you can shoot semi-autos at the game lands ranges, at least the Wexfor one near me.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Find one from me within 45 minutes that doesn't require knowing someone and spending thousands of dollars then.
    I realize there IS an access problem for many folks.

My original post started with " I'm lucky enough to live in an area with several..."

That is why I get tired of the complainers- they too live in the same area, yet they don't join or support a great local resource!

For those of you in areas without reasonable access to gun or sportsman's clubs, you do have my sympathy. My relatives in Rockville, MD. only have a single place to shoot- the Isaac Walton League- and from what I remember the waiting list for membership is like the one for Green Bay Packers season tickets.

(Mercer County)

I have been a member of 3 Gun Clubs for over 30 years and will continue to supports these clubs with both my time and money. I shoot in two trap leagues, shoot some bulls eye, enjoy shooting the reactive steel targets, and do my sight in at these clubs. I am at a one these clubs a minimum of three times a week and recommend membership to all shooters at a quality rod & gun/gun club.

BUT

I like to train by shooting on the move at more than one target, drawing my firearm from the pocket, IWB holster, shoulder holster, etc. I also do the same drills with my weak hand. Train to find a gun club that will allow this "Real World" training. That's why I jumped through some hoop to be able to shoot behind my house.

I still want to be able shoot somewhere I can do some fun shooting and plinking. When I was a young'en 12 or 13 years old in the 50's I was able to walk around in the local area (rural with farms) with .22 rifle or shotgun and informally plink at the abandoned quarry shooting at targets such as cans, clay pidgeons, ritz crackers, rats, ground hogs (farmers wanted us to em), crows, etc. We (myself and other kids in the neighborhood) rigged up some moving targets that we could safely shoot at. Even as a child in my early teens I was taught to clean up my mess after I was finished shooting and still do to this day.

We were also able to go to the dump and shoot rats in early evening from around 7pm till 11pm without any problems. I can remember shooting several boxes of .22 and maybe hitting 10 or 12 rats, they moved fast and the flashlights we taped to barrels didn't light up the targets or the sights too well, but great fun was had by all.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast