Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default ATI polymer AR lower?

Any one have one. Psa has them pretty cheap right now was thinking of picking one up. Was wondering how the quality is?
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Chester County)

Default Re: ATI polymer AR lower?

Eventually I can see poly lowers owning the market... With that said I right now would stay away from them... Not enough of them are in circulation and have been tested through and through.
    check out my Photo page: http://www.facebook.com/Blak1508

(Chester County)

I have one, although I haven't had a chance to fire it yet. The fit and "finish" are pretty rough, and needed some attention with sandpaper to remove what I'd call burrs if it was metal. But mags slide in and out just like they would on a metal lower and everything seems to function fine. I'll know more when I take it out next week to test it.

Funny thing about them, they aren't much lighter than an aluminum lower (if at all). And the stock is a cheap commercial-grade one that I don't find comfortable. I plan on using it as a testing platform for when I get around to building my own upper, as a consistent platform to judge performance by.

Honestly I'd recommend checking out Palmetto State Armory and buying one of their blemished lowers when they're on sale and putting it together yourself. A blem lower is around $60 and you can get lower parts kits for as low as $120 with the gas tube. Or check a gun show and piece together the parts. It might be a little more expensive but you have your own custom made lower for around $200.

http://http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

(Cumberland County)

I just built an AR pistol and I stayed away from it. Was able to find a decent non-poly one for not much more. As was mentioned already, I need a little more data/info first before I go poly with an AR lower. JMO.

(Chester County)

Yeah I have heard good things about the PSA blem lowers.. In lots of cases I've heard you cannot even find or see where the blem is... I'll be picking one up soon unless I can find a BCM blem before then. I know they go fast.
    check out my Photo page: http://www.facebook.com/Blak1508

I tried out a New Frontier polymer lower on an ultra-cheap 22LR I was putting together. I couldn't complain about anything other than the casting lug on top of the receiver, right were the buffer tube screws in needed to be trimmed down to allow the charging handle to move. NF built up the section of the receiver around the buffer tube for added strength. You can watch their youtube videos of someone hold the barrel and a second guy holding the stock while a 3rd stands on the rifle.

The take down pins were tight and a pain to push through. I could see them wearing in eventually.

The trigger group was polymer and I needed to thin it to fit the blow back bolt (22LR) upper I was using with. I changed it to a standard steel trigger group I had kicking around.

It seemed pretty stout, but being polymer it just bugged me. I put a box of 22lr through the rifle and sold it off to a friend who wanted to try a polymer lower.

Personally, I'd buy a blem PSA lower if I wanted to go ultra-cheap again.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Chester County)

Thanx for the info guys guess ill wait for psa norms to get back in stock.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Lebanon County)

My coworker has one of the polymer lowers he is running currently. Its not bad but as was stated above it took a little cleaning up with an exacto knife to get a few of the casting marks and such off of it. Beyond that it runs like any other AR lower.

I would highly recommend upgrading to a set of the KNS anti-rotation trigger pins.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blak1508 View Post
    Yeah I have heard good things about the PSA blem lowers..
    Personally, this^^^^
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Chester County)

Personally, I would also stay away from the poly lowers unless you already have a couple aluminum lowers. I think they are a good idea, and have potential.. but agree with most that they have not been fully vetted yet by the shooting community. They seem like something that would be fun to build as a range toy, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as my only AR platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast