Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default WASR Ak? Need opinons.

I was thinking about getting a WASR for my first AK anybody have any experince with them? Do you like them are they reliable? Just looking for opinons and a general overview.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Fayette County)

Default Re: WASR Ak? Need opinons.

Got a WASR10 and a WASR2. No problems with the 10. The trigger pivot pin backed out on the 2 after about 400 rounds. Not a hard fix but it is a problem. I'd probably buy another WASR if the price was right.

Make sure to pick a rifle without a canted front sight or gas block. Some are crooked and some are not.
    Last edited by Flash3x; March 15th, 2008 at 07:24 AM.

(Delaware County)

I have a WASR10 also and have had no problems with it at all. I would buy another one with no reservations.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Jesus Dude -- Do a Search on WASr - Aks -- The Subject has been beat to Death and then Beat Again.

They are what they are, The Cheapest AK you can buy, They work like any other AK and are a GOOD First AK buy, just know what you are looking at before buying, Do your Research.

I Have a Wasr 10/63 and a Wasr2 Both have been Great guns with zero problems. For another $100 you should be able to get the Yugo M70 -- Much higher Quality

Goto to the Harrisburg Show this weekend and compare the AK's then get what you want.
    Recoil Happens

(Chester County)

I did search WASR but did not get the answers I was looking for. What is the difference between the Yugo and the WASR? I am realatively unfamiliar with AK manufacturers.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

The Wasr is generally considered Low end by most, But IMO it functions and fires the same as all AK's, just that it's fit & finish leave allot to be desired by most. Some of the Early Century guns had problems with canted sights, gas tubes etc..Nothing that couldn't be fixed by someone half-way versed in simple hand tools. I don't think this is a problem much more, at least I don't see allot of posts complaining about them.

The Yugo when compared next to a WASr is like a Hummer vs bicycle -- It's built with a thicker frame (1.5mm as opposed to 1mm) it comes with grenade launching sights for those times when you just run out of 7.62x39mm It has a better overall fit and finish but comes at the cost of a little heavier weight and is one of the few AK's that the parts won't interchange with other AK parts, in other words you just can't buy just any AK stock set to put on your Yugo, It must be made specifically for a Yugo. So needless to say, accessories are sparse for a Yugo. Another sticking point with allot of people is that the Yugo does not have a Chrome bore, Which really isn't important unless you plan to be on extended jungle operations in the Honduras, The Wasr's on the other hand do have Chrome bores.

It comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with, Get to a Gunshow (Harrisburg this weekend) where you can touch the stuff and decide what you like better. There are other AK choices out there that go up in price. I have 2 Wasr's and 1 Yugo and I actually prefer the Wasr's over the Yugo. For me they shoulder better but that isn't the case with everyone. You may even decide you prefer a different caliber like 5.45x39mm (Wasr2, Polish Tantal etc..) or a 5.56x45mm (.223cal Wasr 3)

I'm not trying to promote a website or sway your opinion, But here is a very good website for Romanian AK's --- http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/
    Good Luck in whatever you get, You basically can't go wrong with any AK platform as long as you don't expect to engage and destroy enemy targets at anything over 300 meters. The AK is a close range rifle for targets under 300 meters so just expect minute of bad guy accuracy.

TJ
    Recoil Happens

(Montgomery County)

i have a WASR3 is 5.56, it has been dependable, and suprisingly accurate.
    extremely low recoil, surprisingly, i'd say less than an AR15.
    Mine uses either modified 5.45 bakelite mags, or the East german Weiger 223 mags.
    i've been happy with it.

the fit and finish leaves something to be desired with the romanian guns, i refinished my US made wood, put a better quality pistolgrip on, and added a tapco g2 trigger group.
    Also, since mine had the foreign made stock, I dropped a foreign made folder right on it, no parts count issues

good starter AK, or BEATER AK...

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    I was thinking about getting a WASR for my first AK anybody have any experince with them? Do you like them are they reliable? Just looking for opinons and a general overview.
    I own a WASR 10. Its a 7.62x39 round. It has supprisingly little recoil. Breakdown is a breeze. Its a good reliable gun, and as of yet have not had an issue with it.

(Chester County)

They are cheap, reliable, and new ones now don't have the 'trigger slap' you may have heard about. They seem to be going up in price heading toward Yugo $$$ territory, I have heard the yugos are better but only have experience with the WASR. The WASR is chrome lined I think unlike the Yugo but the Yugos do have 'dimples'. Either way you can't go wrong. Just clean it up good before you shoot it and finish the stock (I did mine with Tru-Oil) and you will have a fine rifle.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    They are cheap, reliable, and new ones now don't have the 'trigger slap' you may have heard about. They seem to be going up in price heading toward Yugo $$$ territory, I have heard the yugos are better but only have experience with the WASR. The WASR is chrome lined I think unlike the Yugo but the Yugos do have 'dimples'. Either way you can't go wrong. Just clean it up good before you shoot it and finish the stock (I did mine with Tru-Oil) and you will have a fine rifle.

Ahhh!! the trigger slap Mine has it... my finger was nice and sore after the first shoot...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast