Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sighting In a Pistol

What's the best way to sight in a new pistol. Right now, the safest place to stand when I'm shooting is right in front of me!

Actually, it wasn't too bad for my first try. I stuck a paper plate to a 4X4 post and shot from 15 paces. Right to left, I'm not bad. I hit the post 15 out of 20 times, but I'm shooting low. What do I need to do. Thanks

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Sighting In a Pistol

Alot of pistol sights aren't adjustable for elevation. You may need to get a shorter front site or taller rear site.

The problem might also be your grip.

Usually when i sight in anything I start with a rediculously short distance and move back slowly.

Focus on form first, then try for accuracy.

(Northampton County)

Newf,
    You didn't state what caliber you're shooting - which could be a big part of the solution. However, in general, if you're shooting low, but pretty much on the center line, there are two GENERAL solutions:
    One, involving technique: you may be anticipating the recoil and pushing forward, tipping the muzzle downward. This can be corrected with proper trigger control - squeeze, don't yank and by overcoming the tendency to flinch, by shooting tons of .22 ammo with PROPER technique, until you break the habit.
    Two, involving ammo: if you have fixed sights and if you're experienced and your technique is GOOD, sight in with the standard ammo for the caliber you're shooting. e.g. .40 S&W 180gr, TCFMJ; 9mm 124 gr. RNFMJ; .45ACP 230 gr. FMJ - all at standard pressure and velocity. Lighter, faster bullets tend to print low with sights that have been regulated with standard velocity and weight projectiles. When you are consistently hitting POA with your standard ammo, then begin printing with the more exotic stuff and remember where the POI is when you hold at a certain POA, i.e. hold high if it impacts lower than POA and vice versa.
    If you have adjustable sights - pick the ammo (weight and velocity) you feel you will be using the most of - shoot it for groups and then adjust your sights accordingly, knowing that other ammo will give you slightly different POI.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Thanks 32Magnum. I'm shooting a .40S&W Hi-Point. The rear sight is adjustable in both directions.

(Allegheny County)

most likely, you are flinching in anticipation of the recoil and, thus, dropping the muzzle causing your shots to go low.

(if you have snap caps, mix one in with the live rounds in your magazine. when you get to the snap cap, you will see whether or not the muzzle of the gun drops when you press the trigger. if you do not have snap caps, just dry fire immediately after going through a full mag...try to not think about the fact that the gun is now unloaded. if you are flinching, you might still flinch even though the gun is not going to go bang.)

you should not fix this by adjusting the sights...you should fix it by stopping flinching.

a great way to do that is to dry fire *a lot*.

personally, i would not move the sights unless i really knew it was the sights causing the problem. put the gun in a vice, if you can, with the sights lined up with the target and then press the trigger...see if the shot is still low. if you don't have a suitable gun vice, sandbags work well for some people.

(Northampton County)

You're welcome NewF.
    If you're "stringing" your shots "vertically" you don't need to adjust the "windage" of the rear sights, you merely need to practice trigger control.
    From what I've seen and felt with the HighPoint pistols, they tend to be a bit top heavy, especially the .40s. Practice using the "standard" .40 S&W round, the 180 gr. Truncated Cone Full Metal Jacket (TCFMJ) at standard velocities (around 860 to 900 fps with the 4" barrel (these will be the least expensive rounds at the gun shop or gun show) and you should see improvement IF you concentrate on holding steady and not holding TOO long before firing.
    I would not do extensive "dry firing" of your HighPoint pistol without dummy rounds or snap caps in the chamber.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Adams County)

Flinching.......try this.....put a coin on top of your pistol and dry-fire practicing all the fundamentals...sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, breathing.....if the coin falls off before your trigger breaks....you are flinching. Keep practicing until the coin stays on after the trigger breaks.

Good old fashioned Government training at it's best.......and it works! I was a remedial instructor....I didn't go home until the flunkies qualified!
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    Flinching.......try this.....put a coin on top of your pistol and dry-fire practicing all the fundamentals...sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, breathing.....if the coin falls off before your trigger breaks....you are flinching. Keep practicing until the coin stays on after the trigger breaks.

Good old fashioned Government training at it's best.......and it works! I was a remedial instructor....I didn't go home until the flunkies qualified!
    worked for me, that and the kick in the butt every time I had to bend over and pick it up . . . . LOL
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Thanks guys. I did the quarter thing yesterday until I could pull the trigger without losing the quarter. Someone also mentioned that I was too far away for a beginner (I was shooting at 15 paces). I moved in to 7 paces and was able to put 10 out of 10 into about a 6" group. I'm getting there. Just need to practice a lot!

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by NewfGuy View Post
    Thanks guys. I did the quarter thing yesterday until I could pull the trigger without losing the quarter. Someone also mentioned that I was too far away for a beginner (I was shooting at 15 paces). I moved in to 7 paces and was able to put 10 out of 10 into about a 6" group. I'm getting there. Just need to practice a lot!

The coin trick works every time! I had a "lucky Peso" that I used for students. I had some LONG nights when I was the juinor instructor!

15 paces is fine. That is what we started with for watchstander quals and fam fire. From there, we would have them shoot for marksmanship ribbons (or medal if scored expert) at 25 yards. Both courses of fire were the same and VERY basic....10 rounds slow fire, 10 rounds timed fire, and 10 rounds rapid fire.

A tip for pacing yourself, which also helps cure the flinch in timed and rapid fire strings, is the BOOM tap tap BOOM method.......trigger breaks, count to yourself tap tap as you pull the trigger. Two taps between trigger breaks. Helps your concentration on fundamentals, keeps you in time, and reduces anticipation.

Three taps for timed fire.........two for rapid.

Godd luck and good shooting! Have fun!
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”