Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default running serial number on MD transfer

HEy guys, Im new to the site, state, and concealed carry. I have been gathering a lot of info from the site over the past few weeks but there is a couple concerns I had that I was hoping could get answered.

If I were to get pulled over and my weapon was confiscated and the serial number ran against my consent. What would happen since my weapons were all purchased legally in the state of MD?

I've read that the system they use when running the serial numbers only shows PA state purchases and transfers. I no longer have the receipts of my MD purchases, so when the number came up with no info and they tried to confiscate my property, how can I legally handle it? And if they dont give me a choice and take my weapon to the precinct, how can I get it back?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: running serial number on MD transfer

What could possibly happen - The officer could seize it, demanding that you show proof that you acquired it legally.

To get it back, you could counter-bully them with legal threats. They may want you to show proof with a receipt. You may have to take them to court.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

If you wanted to, you could go to a PA FFL and have your carry gun(s) transferred into your name so that they will show up in the PA "illegal database" when a cop runs the serial number(s).

Doing this could theoretically prevent a cop from taking your gun by using the excuse that it is not "registered" to you.

This is merely a suggestion, as you are, of course, legal to carry your MD guns without letting PA know about them.
    IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If you wanted to, you could go to a PA FFL and have your carry gun(s) transferred into your name so that they will show up in the PA "illegal database" when a cop runs the serial number(s).

Doing this could theoretically prevent a cop from taking your gun by using the excuse that it is not "registered" to you.

This is merely a suggestion, as you are, of course, legal to carry your MD guns without letting PA know about them.
    IANAL.
    I am a PA resident and have lost some of my reciepts during a move (out of my control). Is there any other way to prove ownership if something like this were to happen to me?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rider4Life01 View Post
    HEy guys, Im new to the site, state, and concealed carry. I have been gathering a lot of info from the site over the past few weeks but there is a couple concerns I had that I was hoping could get answered...
    Take high definition pictures with you and the guns (make sure to get the serial numbers nice and clear), print them, and put them in a fire safe or safety deposit box.

Take them to lawsuit if (and hopefully not when) required.

The database that is kept, as someone else also stated, is illegal. The police are not to have a database, but they do. I believe any sale that requires FFL are on PA record. Because the police are not to have their own database, they cannot use that FFL database to prove ownership (because people who move here, from Maryland for example, are not required to disclose that they came bearing arms). You are not required to disclose the fact that you own guns because you did not buy the gun in PA.

I'm not a lawyer, and it's an understatement to say that I'm open to being fact checked. I really do enjoy learning this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    I am a PA resident and have lost some of my reciepts during a move (out of my control). Is there any other way to prove ownership if something like this were to happen to me?
    The taking of photos might work for you as well. That or try to have the stores print a new bill of sale..but who knows how hard that could be.

I'm a big fan of photo evidence. No idea how well it holds up, but I do have pictures of me and my gun's individual parts showing the serial numbers.
    Last edited by yeager484; November 12th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

(Franklin County)

I'm not sure a photo is going to do anything in this case. All a photo proves is that you did in fact have it in your possession. The police already know you had the gun in your possession (because they took it from you). Unless its a photo showing the gun and a sales receipt, but if you had the receipt.........
    A photo is helpful if the gun is stolen though.
    I think the only true way to get around this is to take it to a dealer and pay for them to transfer it to you, that puts it in the "database" as your firearm.

Persoanlly, I'm in much the same boat, one of my carry guns is from another state. I refuse to pay a dealer to transfer it to me on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I'm not sure a photo is going to do anything in this case. All a photo proves is that you did in fact have it in your possession. The police already know you had the gun in your possession (because they took it from you). Unless its a photo showing the gun and a sales receipt, but if you had the receipt.........
    A photo is helpful if the gun is stolen though.
    I think the only true way to get around this is to take it to a dealer and pay for them to transfer it to you, that puts it in the "database" as your firearm.

Persoanlly, I'm in much the same boat, one of my carry guns is from another state. I refuse to pay a dealer to transfer it to me on principle.
    Yes. This is what I was thinking of in my case. Theoretically I could have a stolen gun, and take pictures of it claiming it was mine. Doesn't make it mine.
    Do you now if a gun can be "re-transferred"? For example, since I lost the reciept, coulld I go to an FFL, do the paperwork and have it transferred to me again? Could I take the pictures to a notary and have something from the notary to prove a date of posession?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    Yes. This is what I was thinking of in my case. Theoretically I could have a stolen gun, and take pictures of it claiming it was mine. Doesn't make it mine.
    Do you now if a gun can be "re-transferred"? For example, since I lost the reciept, coulld I go to an FFL, do the paperwork and have it transferred to me again? Could I take the pictures to a notary and have something from the notary to prove a date of posession?
    You are allowed to do that, but some FFL's wont or believe that you cannot do that.

Our resident gun lawyer(GunLawyer001) even recommends doing it in these situations to help avoid bad situations with the police seizing your gun because it wasn't in the "database".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Delaware County)

Just a thought, if FFL didnt want to "re-transfer" couldnt you put it on consignment and then take it back?
    As I understand it you would then have to do PICS to get your gun back from the FFL. Am I correct?
    NRA for life.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    Just a thought, if FFL didnt want to "re-transfer" couldnt you put it on consignment and then take it back?
    As I understand it you would then have to do PICS to get your gun back from the FFL. Am I correct?
    Yes, that is possible.