Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock experience

Well, believe it or not, I shot a Glock for the first time ever in my 20 + years of shooting. It was a Model 34 9mm. I have mixed feelings about it. I found the grip to be quite uncomfortable, and it did not fit my hands very well. I mostly shoot 1911s, so the comparison was unfavorable. That being said, I found that the Glock shot very well. All shots went to point of aim out to 15 yards, and the gun was easy to control in rapid fire drills. I found the trigger to be surprisingly precise. I say suprisingly because I had always heard that these striker fired pistols contributed to a remote trigger feel. Function was flawless. The biggest pain in the ass about the whole experience was the magazine. This was the hardest mag to load I have ever encountered. I was struggling to load anything past 10 rounds. By comparison, a SIG 226 mag was easy to load to full capacity. I shot a SIG 226 side by side with the Glock. The SIG felt ever so much better in my hands, but did not shoot as well. All shots with the SIG were consistantly low, and the groupings were not as good. So, my initial impressions of the GLOCK are this: I probably would not just go out and buy one, but if one fell into my lap, I would not toss it aside. I would feel well protected with one and confident of being able to put the shots where I needed them to go, but would not want to spend much range time with one. There it is. My opinion.

Default Re: Glock experience

Thanks for your objective and honest feedback. The purchase of a pistol is a highly personal decision based on many factors, including hand size, ergonomics, application, wardrobe, etc.
    I own many Glocks and enjoy them for what they are. I also own many other polymer frame semis as well as 1911s and other metal frame browning derivatives. I support pistol diversity. I do however really struggle to understand the polymer vs. metal frame wars, Glocks vs. 1911s, etc. There is no such thing as a perfect pistol. but there is the RIGHT gun for the RIGHT situation. Application is critical.
    My advise to people is not to be pressured into buying something, experiment, rent different guns, try your friends guns, buy what you like. But as far as Glock is concerned, I am sold on Glock based on my own experience.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(Erie County)

If one does fall into your lap, lots of range time is the key to hapiness with a Glock. Btw, the magazines get easier to load with use. They are a PIA when newer.

(Venango County)

Also....that's what the mag loader that comes with every Glock is for, makes it a TON easier

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Erie County)

Talking Re: Glock experience

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Also....that's what the mag loader that comes with every Glock is for, makes it a TON easier
    LOL...You'll get called a girly man for using them around here!

(Venango County)

ROFL! Whatever, I don't care.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

Good write up of your experience with the Glock. Like was said earlier, buying or shooting a gun is a very personal thing, but let me add this to your review. Switching from gun to gun is like going from car to car. Your body compensates for how one operates, because your mind tells you what it notices, and you adjust accordingly. Your shots with the Sig were probably low because you were adjusted to shooting the Glock, and adjusted to that grip angle. The Glock takes some getting used to, just like any other gun, and you shouldn't come to an opinion based on one shooting with it.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Allegheny County)

Guns are like cars. Every single car will get you from Point A to Point B, but most people care more about the journey than the destination so it becomes a reflection of something very personal. People want something they connect with... something that they feel comfortable with... something they trust.

Sounds like the Glock 34 wasn't for you.
    - Steve

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

(Bedford County)

The Glock 34 is a fine weapon. It takes a while to get used to the grip angle and Glock trigger. I'm one of those few idiots that can shoot a Glock and then a 1911 and not notice the huge difference in grip angle. Like blondes, brunettes and red heads....I have yet to find a handgun I couldnt learn to lust...I'd say love, but that wouldnt be me. Glocks make my pants tight, then again....most good handguns do.

Regards,
    BUCKMARK

If it was a new one, Glock magazines are a bit rougher to load when new. If you'd load the magazine and let it set, it would make it easier to load. I did this for all of mine, and its easier. Plus the mag loader helps a zillion

I liked your review, it seems on par with others I've heard in regards to the grip angle. I'm actually somewhat afraid to start shooting 1911s because training with one may affect the other.

Very nice review.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence