Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Pistol vs. Rifle bore snake length

I wasn't sure if this should go in either the pistol or rifle forum so I figured here might be better.

I shot my Hi-Point 9mm 995TS carbine for the first time the other day. I've heard differing opinions on how often or how thoroughly to clean them. The consensus I've read has basically been not very often or not very thoroughly since the don't really need it (again, it's what I've read) and since they're kind of a pain to break down. I figure I'd like to at least keep the barrel clean and possibly once in a while do a more thorough cleaning so I'm thinking that running a bore snake through it a few times after each trip could be a good idea. I'd rather not use a rod and brush from the front since I have a compensator on it and I don't want the brush to "spray" into the chamber if I'm not going to take it apart to clean it all.

My question is for anyone who has experience with bore snakes and approximately how long the pistol ones are compared to the rifle ones. In other words is the 9mm pistol bore snake long enough for the Hi-Point carbine's 16" barrel or should I get the .35/.357 rifle bore snake? Thanks in advance.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Pistol vs. Rifle bore snake length

Get the rifle length.

FWIW I use a rifle length bore snake of the right diameter for all my rifles and pistols too.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the tip. I figured the rifle length was probably the way to go. Question: do you ever need to clean the bore snakes and if so how?

(Lehigh County)

I clean my rifles and pistols every time I shoot them. i do not need to read and do whatever other people say to do. Clean yours when you feel you need to.
    I have found these are very easy to break down, i have one myself and yes, i clean it every time. I like to keep my things clean and i also find it relaxing to sit there, take them apart, clean them, check everything, instead of sitting there watching the crap that's on TV.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I figured the rifle length was probably the way to go. Question: do you ever need to clean the bore snakes and if so how?
    The info on the box says they're machine washable. But I think I'd wash them out by hand in ordinary detergent and hot water.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

I use my 44/45 cal pistol bore snake to clean my 1873 Winchester with a 20" barrel and I have no problem. I use my 35 cal rifle bore snake to clean my .357, 38 and 9mm handguns with no problems. As long as the cord is long enough to so you can pull it it will work.
    I clean mine by hand in the utility sink. I soak them in hot soapy water and wring them out and repeat until they look clean then rinse in hot clean water until the water wrings out clean.
    A tip if you are going to have alot, I have them for every caliber and gauge I shoot, keep them in their own large labled zip lock bag as sometimes its hard to tell which one you have and getting one thats stuck in a barrel after you've broken the pull cord is a pain in the butt.