Thread: Sheriff powers

(Lackawanna County)

Default Sheriff powers

County officers ask lawmakers to pass bill

BY ROBERT SWIFT
    HARRISBURG BUREAU CHIEF
    03/12/2008
    Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

Bradford County Sheriff Steven Evans talks about the meth problem in his county. TIMES-TRIBUNE FILE
    HARRISBURG — Saying it’s important not to jeopardize advances in the war against illegal drugs, Bradford County Sheriff Steven Evans called on lawmakers Tuesday to give broader arrest powers to county sheriffs.

Mr. Evans spoke at a rally that drew dozens of county sheriffs and their deputies from across Pennsylvania. They lobbied for a measure by Rep. Craig Dally, R-Northampton, to give sheriffs and deputies the same arrest powers as municipal police officers, provided they have similar law enforcement training.

“I ask the Legislature to help restore my ability... to continue the fight to make Bradford County a better place,” Mr. Evans said.

The sheriff said his deputies have played a key role in seizing clandestine methamphetamine labs in Bradford County. He said it’s incredible the state Supreme Court ruled sheriffs lack power to investigate drug cases without a specific law giving them authority to do so.

The court ruled in November on a 2003 case involving the arrest of Corry Dobbins, of Troy, on methamphetamine manufacturing charges by two Bradford County deputies. One of those deputies — Christopher Burgert — was later killed while investigating another methamphetamine lab in Bradford County.

The Pennsylvania Sheriffs’ Association touts Mr. Dally’s bill as a way to address the court ruling. The bill has drawn opposition from some law enforcement groups, but Mr. Evans said critics shouldn’t fear that sheriffs are making a power grab.

“We are living proof in Bradford County that is just not the case,” he added.

Rep. Tina Pickett, R-Wysox Township, said giving sheriffs broader arrest powers will help in rural areas where there are few municipal police departments and state troopers are spread thin.

“I view this (bill) as an opportunity to create greater cooperation, greater backup and support among all our law enforcement groups,” she added.

Also lending support at the rally were Sen. Lisa Baker, R-Lehman Township, and Reps. Mario Scavello, R-Mount Pocono, and Mike Peifer, R-Greentown.

Mr. Dally’s bill is before the House Judiciary Committee. The chairman, Rep. Tom Caltagirone, D-Berks, said recently the bill needs to be rewritten to address issues regarding proper training, liability insurance protection and whether county or state taxpayers will bear the training costs.

I think this would be a good idea, especially for rural residents. Instead of having a hundred deputies standing around the courthouse all day or serving administrative court orders, put them on patrol as another layer of blue, County police in a way.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Sheriff powers

The news media piss me off when they talk about the ingredient in Meth if you didn't know how to cook it they tell you.

The ABC station in Pittsburgh was telling the kids how to beat the club in your car. The report said it only takes 5 minutes to cut a piece out of the steering wheel and then proceeded to show you how.

A newspaper was showing step by step how to make a key that will trip the tumblers on any lock.

Oh well free speech

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Sheriff powers

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    The news media piss me off when they talk about the ingredient in Meth if you didn't know how to cook it they tell you.

The ABC station in Pittsburgh was telling the kids how to beat the club in your car. The report said it only takes 5 minutes to cut a piece out of the steering wheel and then proceeded to show you how.

A newspaper was showing step by step how to make a key that will trip the tumblers on any lock.

Oh well free speech
    The easy way is just to get hold of a set of repo keys, open anything. Some years ago I had two Case backhoes (C and a E) key fit both and I think about all Case at the time. On TV the other night on the news they were showing how farm and construction equipment was being stolden. They finished by telling about one key fits all JD. ( I take it they meant the newer eqipment the were showing, $100,000. plus tractors)