Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default 1911 Hammer issue

Hey guys, Its been a while since I posted, but I just bought an RIA 1911 GI model. I LOVE this gun. To keep it short and sweet, When I lock the slide back (on an empty chamber with no magazine), hold just the grip safety, and then release the slide lock sending it home, the hammer falls to half cock, SOMETIMES.. Is this a big issue?

From what I read and hear, sounds like it could be a sear spring problem? This doesn't happen when I depress the grip safety, so that's what is interesting to this "noob" 1911 guy. I see a lot of posts and people say its OK to dry fire the weapon, I GUESS that still means I shouldn't be locking the slide, then releasing it on an empty chamber? Anything will help, thanks guys!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 Hammer issue

The so called experts will say that you should ride the slide on an empty chamber, as not doing this will damage the sear. I do it to be better safe than sorry.

Is it doing it with ammo in the gun (I would imagine it is).

Get the gun looked at.

(Lancaster County)

yeah you really shouldnt be letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber with a 1911 due to previously mentioned sear damage. the hammer hitting half cock notch in this case is prolly a good thing. as long as bullets come out the business end when u pull the trigger, your good.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Your hammer should not be falling to half-cock. The pistol should go back to the factory.

(Jefferson County)

The hammer should not fall to halfcock regardless of how you release the slide.

The problem is probably not enough engagement of the sear to the hammer, weak sear spring, or some goofy misalignment of the components inside.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Yea everything seems to be working just fine, this half cock situation never happens when I am actually putting a round into the chamber. I did notice a few times I put a magazine in, with the slide locked back, the slide locked forward into battery without me even touching the slide release. Suppose the slide lock was just not all the way engaged. This sear spring situation should be an easy fix, now to look up a good gunsmith in the Allentown area to give it a look-see. Thanks guys.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupcody View Post
    Yea everything seems to be working just fine, this half cock situation never happens when I am actually putting a round into the chamber. I did notice a few times I put a magazine in, with the slide locked back, the slide locked forward into battery without me even touching the slide release. Suppose the slide lock was just not all the way engaged. This sear spring situation should be an easy fix, now to look up a good gunsmith in the Allentown area to give it a look-see. Thanks guys.
    Everything is not working just fine, your gun needs repair, your hammer shouldnt fall for any reason untill you pull the trigger, now you mention this other problem of the slide going home when you insert a mag, that shouldnt happen either.
    Your gun needs to be fixed , its not fine, its an accident waiting to happen.

Don't want to try to sound smart and copy someone else, so here are a couple links for you.

I had the same trouble on the first 1911 trigger job I did. I ended up buying the jig, stones, and some 2000/1500 grit wet/dry paper. I rehoned the parts like they are supposed to be and also readjusted the pretravel. Problem was gone. Only difference, my hammer was falling to half cock loading a cartridge. Red flag right there. If your hammer is falling on an empty chamber, but doesn't when loading the chamber, then the difference in the inertia of the slide between the two is all it is taking to drop the hammer on an empty chamber. This is clear proof you shouldn't drop a slide on an empty chamber.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lehigh County)

Yeah, I will be taking it to a gunsmith to get checked out, I'm sure its gunna hurt the wallet a bit, but better that then loosing a limb.

(Mercer County)

Don't carry it. Get it looked at immediately.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast