Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Yugo PAP M92 sbr project

So here goes, I just ordered a new yugo m92 ak pistol with the intention of sbr'ing it. And I had a few questions, but not really about the nfa process since the dealer in am working with is helping me, and I have already read a lot of good articles here and elsewhere about the process. My question is, since this gun is being sold as a pistol would putting a permanently attached (pinned and tack welded so it can be removed once the forms clear) 6" muzzle device on it and a stock be legal, or would it turn it in to an AOW?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Yugo PAP M92 sbr project

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Is this it?
    You want to keep it a title I firearm while your SBR Form 1 is pending by 'permanently' attaching a muzzle device to make the barrel over 16" and then putting a stock on it? This would allow you to play with the gun with a stock and keep it legal during your wait. Then once the F1 comes back approved you simply take off the muzzle device and voila a SBR.

If that is what you mean, then yes that's fine. Just make sure you attach the muzzle device first (and using an ATF approved method) before attaching the stock.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Is this it?
    You want to keep it a title I firearm while your SBR Form 1 is pending by 'permanently' attaching a muzzle device to make the barrel over 16" and then putting a stock on it? This would allow you to play with the gun with a stock and keep it legal during your wait. Then once the F1 comes back approved you simply take off the muzzle device and voila a SBR.

If that is what you mean, then yes that's fine. Just make sure you attach the muzzle device first (and using an ATF approved method) before attaching the stock.
    Yes, that is what I'm asking. I just wondered if there was going to be any complication with turning a "pistol" in to a rifle by affixing the extended muzzle device and a stock.

Thank you for answering my question, as awkwardly as I may have worded it :b
    Last edited by KelFox; November 5th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by KelFox View Post
    Yes, that is what I'm asking. I just wondered if there was going to be any complication with turning a "pistol" in to a rifle by affixing the extended muzzle device and a stock.

Thank you for answering my question, as awkwardly as I may have worded it :b
    You're welcome.

This used to be something of a grey area, but the ATF ruled that a pistol can be a rifle and then a pistol again so long as the longer barrel is affixed first and then the stock. Disassemble in reverse to keep from making an illegal SBR. Think of the 'carbine kits' for Glocks that have a 16" barrel and a stock. Perfectly legal.

Going the other way however is incorrect; you cannot make a rifle into a pistol. There are some other oddities such as the TC Contendors, but as a general rule...

If it is NFA you can make it whatever configuration you desire so long as it matches the definition, I.E. SBR.

What you are asking is fine, however just be mindful of how you attach the muzzle device. The ATF requires a blind pin and weld or a fully penetrating complete weld.

I'm not entirely sure how importers/builders like Century Arms get away with their tack welded muzzle devices. For example, I 'manufactured' a title I AMD-65 Hungarian AK into a SBR this past weekend in about 20 seconds by simple filing off the small tack weld holding on the muzzle brake and screwing it off. A bit too easy to undue according to the ATF definitions.

Have fun with your AK!
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    You're welcome.

This used to be something of a grey area, but the ATF ruled that a pistol can be a rifle and then a pistol again so long as the longer barrel is affixed first and then the stock. Disassemble in reverse to keep from making an illegal SBR. Think of the 'carbine kits' for Glocks that have a 16" barrel and a stock. Perfectly legal.

Going the other way however is incorrect; you cannot make a rifle into a pistol. There are some other oddities such as the TC Contendors, but as a general rule...

If it is NFA you can make it whatever configuration you desire so long as it matches the definition, I.E. SBR.

What you are asking is fine, however just be mindful of how you attach the muzzle device. The ATF requires a blind pin and weld or a fully penetrating complete weld.

I'm not entirely sure how importers/builders like Century Arms get away with their tack welded muzzle devices. For example, I 'manufactured' a title I AMD-65 Hungarian AK into a SBR this past weekend in about 20 seconds by simple filing off the small tack weld holding on the muzzle brake and screwing it off. A bit too easy to undue according to the ATF definitions.

Have fun with your AK!
    Cool, now all I need is a suitable muzzle device. Though after some googling around, I'm not seeing anything threaded for the 26.5 x 1 LH threads, though I did find a drill and tap set of appropriate size for the threads on amazon. Might try my hand at making an adapter if I can't find something pre-made for a reasonable price.

(Carbon County)

go to usmachinegun.com,,just came out with fake can,like $69 i think

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by suzukirider View Post
    go to usmachinegun.com,,just came out with fake can,like $69 i think
    I actually ordered a fake can through IGF (Investment Grade Firearms) one day before usmachinegun's fake can became available. Though to be honest, the IGF fake can is a better choice since it comes unfinished I can do the drilling, pinning, and welding first, then put a nice uniform finish over the whole thing once it has been permanently affixed.

(Carbon County)

nice, i just bought another pap m92,ordered the krink brake for $75 from akbuilder.com for both of mine (works awsome no flash at all),,manticore makes one now,sold out tho,and also usmachinegun makes a new one,,and spikes tactical

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by KelFox View Post
    So here goes, I just ordered a new yugo m92 ak pistol with the intention of sbr'ing it. And I had a few questions, but not really about the nfa process since the dealer in am working with is helping me, and I have already read a lot of good articles here and elsewhere about the process. My question is, since this gun is being sold as a pistol would putting a permanently attached (pinned and tack welded so it can be removed once the forms clear) 6" muzzle device on it and a stock be legal, or would it turn it in to an AOW?
    Which stock did you go with for your Yugo M92? Thinking about SBR'ing mine too. Thanks

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deliemma View Post
    Which stock did you go with for your Yugo M92? Thinking about SBR'ing mine too. Thanks
    I ended up going with this http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddeta...prod=M92-BFA92. I ran with the no mod adapter for a little, till I got fed up with it. The side folding mechanism is the one from ACE, so I just drilled and tapped the rear trunion plate, cut a groove in it with a dremel (Like this http://riflestocks.com/store/product35.html) and discarded the no mod adapter from usmachinegun and just bolted the stock right to the receiver that way.

The stock looks cool, but it is heavy. Easily adds 2lbs of weight. Knowing all of this if I had to do it again I would just get the adapter and mechanism from ACE along with one of their collapsible stocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast