Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Ar15 pistol upper to rifle lower

How easy is it to transfer a pistol upper to an ar15 lower? Just pop the pins or is it more involved than that?

I know the laws when it comes to sbrs

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Ar15 pistol upper to rifle lower

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    How easy is it to transfer a pistol upper to an ar15 lower? Just pop the pins or is it more involved than that?

I know the laws when it comes to sbrs
    A pistol upper is just a regular ar-15 upper usually with a short barrel and shortened gas system.

(Bucks County)

the upper receiver on a pistol is the same as the upper receiver on a rifle so a pistol upper should fit any lower unless one of the two has none standard push pins.

(Allegheny County)

However, you must be careful to not put your pistol upper to a rifle lower without proper SBR paperwork and tax stamp.

At least to my understanding.

The second you put your pistol upper (I assume it's got a short barrel, <16"), you've built an SBR.

I know you said you know the SBR laws.... just wanted to reiterate and make sure

(Lehigh County)

your pistol upper must be put on a virgin lower. as mentioned, you will create an sbr with a previous lower. according to the law, if have a virgin lower, and in your basement you attach a rifle upper to see what it looks like, and then take it off, that lower can no longer be used for a pistol now because it was a rifle.

insane rules, atf at it's best.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    ...if have a virgin lower, and in your basement you attach a rifle upper to see what it looks like, and then take it off, that lower can no longer be used for a pistol now because it was a rifle.
    From my discussions with the ATF Firearms Technology Branch earlier this year, to be a considered a rifle, the virgin lower must have both a barreled upper receiver (>= 16") AND a stock attached. Just having a barreled upper attached to a virgin lower receiver (without an attached stock) does not make it a rifle. A rifle is designed to be fired from the shoulder. Without a stock attached, the firearm is not designed to fire from the shoulder.

I have zero documentation on this as it was a phone discussion. I'm sure there is information floating around the web that clarifies this.

(Butler County)

there was also a discussion on here about this topic. if i recall, you can build an ar pistol, then convert it to a rifle, and back to a pistol without issue. however, if it starts as a rifle it cannot go to a pistol without sbr paperwork. im sure someone with better google skills would be able to find the link...