Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default HORRIBLE Experience at Dick's in Homestead, PA -- Need some advice.

This is sort of a long story, but I want to give as many details as possible, as I will NEVER be shopping at any Dick's Sporting Goods again, and I hope many of you do the same.

This morning a friend and I headed to Dick's in Homestead (Pittsburgh area), as I had intended on purchasing a Remington 870 tactical. After waiting about 15 minutes, I finally found a sales clerk for the gun counter, and asked to see the 870 tactical. He took the firearm off the shelf, and handed it to me. I proceeded to (with the weapon pointed in a safe direction) check to ensure the shotgun was clear, and check it for any dings or scratches. It was clean, so I informed the clerk Bob that I would like to purchase the shotgun. He asked me for ID and asked me a few questions about my address, but none of the questions seemed to be anything out of the ordinary other than that he kept shooting the friend I had gone with (who happens to be African American) very suspicious glances. My friend is also an avid firearms enthusiast, and has a LTCF. The clerk then informed me that everything looked okay, and I should head to the front counter to pay a $2.00 background check fee and would hold my ID until I got back. This was new to me, but the price was right on the gun so I shrugged it off.

Here's where the situation gets nasty. When I arrived at the counter at the front of the store to pay my $2.00 fee, I noticed that all of the employees were giving me a scared and hesitant look, and the girl behind the counter said that Bob at the gun counter would like to speak with me. When I arrived all the way back at the gun counter, Bob was holding my ID and was standing with two other employees. He first accused me of being clearly under the influence of alcohol. I denied this accusation as it was absolutely false, and he continued to pressure me stating that I smelled "like a bar." He then next accused me of attempting to make a straw purchase. I asked on what grounds he was making this accusation and his only response was that he could not sell me a firearm. I told him that as a firearms enthusiast, this was the last thing I would ever dream of doing, and that if he was suspicious of my friend he could also produce ID and a LTCF. I promptly took my ID back, informed him that I would take my business elsewhere, and extremely offended and PO'd, left the store. My friend re-entered the store and showed his ID and LTCF to Bob, and stated that he felt that I was treated unfairly on account of his race. The clerk denied that, and then came up with his THIRD reason for not selling me the shotgun: That I handled the shotgun in a manner that made him feel uncomfortable.

We both arrived at the conclusion upon driving away that Bob had made some sort of decision based on racial profiling. I fully intend on issuing a complaint to Dick's customer service. I understand that the clerk has carte blanche to deny a sale for any reason he can dream of, but this was beyond the point of absurdity.

My main concern though, is that he could have possibly flagged my name in the PICS system for what he viewed as me attempting to make a straw purchase. Something about how he held my ID and sent me to the front sales desk where I was immediately turned around strikes me as very fishy. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Andrew

Default Re: HORRIBLE Experience at Dick's in Homestead, PA -- Need some advice.

i have bought two guns at dicks. i am white, not poor and never had so much as a hiccup. i have been in and out in 20 minutes with firearm in hand. i can only assume that what you are accusing them of is correct and is appalling. i am not sure what power, if any, bob has as far as your name in the PICS system but i am sorry for what you and your responsible, law abiding gun enthusiast friend went through.

i can only assume that they refuse the right to sell to anyone and "bob" and his decision would be backed by the managers and corporate. there are plenty of gun shops without the same biases. it just sucks because sometimes dick's has some ridiculous deals.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Sounds messed up. If your story checks out like you stated (not drinking) i would peruse, something I dont know.. I'm pissed just reading it.
    If it was because your friend is black, i would have every one of his black friends go to dicks and try and purchase a gun, all at the same time.. Then see what happens. make sure they video tape it..

I wouldn't be surprised if he photo copied your ID and the copy is hanging on the employee bulletin board or behind the gun counter. I would follow up with a visit to the store manager. By giving up and walking away the employee will assume he was correct. They probably already made him employee of the month for deterring a certain terrorist plot.

I would have insisted they produce a manager and if they have suspicions call the police. If they really felt you were doing something illegal they have an ethical responsibility to call the local police. I would have insisted they make the call or make the sale. I doubt it would have got me anywhere but a threat of a trespassing complaint, however; an accusation like they made is wrong.

I don't buy anything from Dick's gun department for two reasons. The people they hire typically know nothing about firearms and their prices are absurd.

The only place that has worse employee knowledge of firearms is Dunham's but they have good sales.
    Last edited by MT1; November 3rd, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

(Lehigh County)

...If it was because your friend is black, i would have every one of his black friends...

Ten characters
    Last edited by yeager484; November 3rd, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

(York County)

If you believe you were not sold the firearm due to the race of your friend, you can contact the PA human relations commission.

http://www.phrc.state.pa.us/portal/s...hrc_home/18970

(Cambria County)

Two sides to every story....
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Allegheny County)

Wow, I thought Dunham's was over the top...

If I am in the mall at Robinson I will on a very rare occasion step into Dick's and glance at the gun selection, I did so the other day to see a Ruger American.

But it is always a painful experience as their guns are locked down even worse than at Gander; you are usually bothering someone to even ask.

I bought one gun there on a BFriday sale years ago and it was a PC experience that I vowed I will do without from then on.

Since then, I made it a point to never actually buy ANYTHING, NOTHING, else from those folks.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Centre County)

Dick's...... What's in a name?

The last place I would ever go to buy anything other than sneakers.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Mercer County)

I had a bad experience at Dick's in Butler in the past. I posted here about it and a district manager (IIRC) got in touch with me to give an apology and promise that he would make sure to get the proper training in place in that department. So don't be too surprised if someone follows up with you on this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast