Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Tactical Shotgun Showcase - Got any? Let's see'um!

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Nah, dont think it was too tight. In the image below you can see the parts that make up the Mossberg safety. That ball has a tendency to move around sometimes on models with a plastic safety button (all except the 590A1) and the design is the same across the board for Mossberg shotguns so it plagues all of them.

Follow this link for a good read on Mossberg safety replacement.
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=149360

I havent given up on it yet. Like I said, the ejection issues are def. getting better with more rounds through it. Its a brand new Gen3 purchased in June of 2012. Only around 300rds with a mix of light and heavy stuff through it too so, it could use a little more break in.

Something I forgot to mention in my other post was, sometimes I cant get 7 in the tube. "They" say they often ship with mag tube springs that are too long. Either cutting your OE spring or just ordering a shorter aftermarket one will solve this.

Very nice, mines a v2 9mm, love that damn thing. Never leave home without it
    Thanks for the explanation regarding the safety. As I said earlier, I've yet to have a problem with mine, but I'm going to go ahead and swap it out for a metal one.

The magazine tube capacity issue is common even with brands other than Mossberg and usually the problem is that not all 2 3/4" shells are the same length. You'll find that some are just a little bit longer than others. Now in a standard, four shell tube this is never a problem, but when that "little bit" of extra length is multiplied by 6, 7, or more, then it can affect tube capacity. I cured this issue with mine by swapping out the factory magazine follower with one from GG&G. It allows the magazine spring to go deeper into it than the factory one. This gained me just enough more room to allow 7 shells of any type 2 3/4" load to fit now. It doesn't have anything to do with the length of the magazine spring and I wouldn't shorten the Mossberg factory spring because, in my opinion, it's already on the weak side.

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-shotgun-follower.html

For me, Heckler & Koch is the best. I've owned and used many H&K pistols and rifles over the years (including the issued P7M8 I carried the last 9 years of my career) and they never let me down.
    Last edited by XTrooper; November 4th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

Steve,

What is the reasoning for the two forward shells facing down and the four rearward shells facing up on the side-saddle? Slugs and buck?

Rick

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Steve,

What is the reasoning for the two forward shells facing down and the four rearward shells facing up on the side-saddle? Slugs and buck?

Rick
    Hi, Rick. The two forward shells with the brass facing up are for combat reloads, that is, for reloading the chamber. To do this, I turn the ejection port slightly towards me and use an overhand method to drop in the shell. Having the brass end of the shells facing up is optimal for doing this. The rest of the shells are for reloading the magazine tube (tactical reloads). This is most easily done with the brass end of the shells facing down.

P.S.- The shells are all Remington Slugger reduced recoil slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Hi, Rick. The two forward shells with the brass facing up are for combat reloads, that is, for reloading the chamber. To do this, I turn the ejection port slightly towards me and use an overhand method to drop in the shell. Having the brass end of the shells facing up is optimal for doing this. The rest of the shells are for reloading the magazine tube (tactical reloads). This is most easily done with the brass end of the shells facing down.

P.S.- The shells are all Remington Slugger reduced recoil slugs.
    Thank you for the explanation, Steve. I like the reduced recoil slugs as well.

Rick

I have mine configured for select loading slugs. Tube is full of buck. Four slugs facing one way, two buck the other. The chamber is EMPTY. If need be, I can select load a slug right out of the gate, but feel that if I need to do this, I would have been better off grabbing the rifle in the first place.
    Jules

(Luzerne County)

Thank you for the explanation, Steve. I like the reduced recoil slugs as well.

Rick
    My pleasure, Rick. I can tell you, it's a whole lot easier to show someone than to explain it.

ar15jules: I know plenty who do the same, Jules. My philosophy is "do whatever works best for YOU."

I shot a 930 SPX yesterday. A friend gave me a 2" shell to try. I mixed it in with some slugs and 00 in 2 3/4". The 2" came out of the mag tube ok, but failed to chamber. I had to hand cycle it. I like the 930 SPX a lot.

Rick

(Luzerne County)

I know 2" shells exist, but I don't think I've ever handled one. When you fired it, did it have enough "umph" to cycle the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    I know 2" shells exist, but I don't think I've ever handled one. When you fired it, did it have enough "umph" to cycle the gun?

Yes, the next round cycled fine. It was the 2" shell that failed to cycle from the mag tube to the chamber after a 2 3/4 " round.

The 2" rounds cycled fine in a Mossberg 500.

Rick

(Luzerne County)

Yes, the next round cycled fine. It was the 2" shell that failed to cycle from the mag tube to the chamber after a 2 3/4 " round.

The 2" rounds cycled fine in a Mossberg 500.

Rick
    Thanks, Rick. I was curious about that.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast